Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  59
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jake Stringer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like Bevo's response - honest without potting Jake.

Clubs are now welcome to pony up their offers
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    Many at Alberton were wondering why Jackson was not playing against the Eagles, and there is a strong belief that had he played Port would be heading to Spotless this weekend.

As for Stringer, if the club is trading him as he is no longer a required player with his current attitude, I doubt that we will get any more than a 3rd or 4th round pick
    Come on . That's being silly

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    WESTERN Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge says he acted in the greater interests of the club in deciding to move on forward Jake Stringer.

In his first comments on the stunning split, Beveridge told the Herald Sun his premiership forward ultimately agreed he would be better suited elsewhere.

The only scenario which would see Stringer, 23, remain at the Bulldogs would be if a trade deal didn’t satisfy the club.

“Jake’s management and the club got together and both agreed we’d explore alternatives to him playing at the club and explore what’s right for his long-term future and the club’s,’’ Beveridge told the Herald Sun.

“It’s as simple as that ... I’m not going into details.”

Stringer’s football issues centre around a lack of professionalism in preparation, at training and the rehabilitation of injuries.
    Luke Beveridge talks to Jake Stringer at Bulldogs training. Picture: Wayne Ludbey

They are compounded by a litany of off-field issues, ranging from his personal situation with his former partner, the stresses of being a young father, to behavioural concerns.

Beveridge conceded the decision to trade his one-time All-Australian forward was a tough one.

“It is because first and foremost I operate from a platform of care and duty to our players and I’ve got to look after the whole group,” the coach said.

“But when it comes to the point where both parties are saying maybe it’s best to explore somewhere else, it means then it’s right for that individual, but it’s also right for the group he’s going to leave behind.”

A worthy trade would have to be organised, Beveridge said.

“Ultimately, he’s still a contracted player,” he said.
    Luke Beveridge after speaking to his players during Round 23.

“We’re not going to just say ‘Here you go, you can have Jake Stringer’. We’ve said to him, you’re going to play here mate if no one is going to treat you with the respect you should have as far as what you have achieved, because we need to do what’s right for the club as much as you as well.

“We’ll try to work it out together.

“You asked if it’s irretrievable. It’s not. Ultimately, (if) Jake is still playing at the football club, then we’ve just got to work through that next year, of maturity and what it looks like for him, and see how we go.’’

Stringer has kicked 160 goals in 89 games after being taken at pick No.5 in the 2012 national draft.

Essendon and Geelong are reportedly Stringer’s preferred destinations, although it’s understood several clubs have made inquiries to Stringer’s manager Paul Connors.

St Kilda coach Alan Richardson said last week the Saints were interested in talking to Stringer.
    Jake Stringer after injuring his hamstring in the loss to Port Adelaide.

Earning about $500,000 a season and with a year to run on his contract, the trade value for Stringer is anywhere between pick No.10 and pick No.25, depending on whether you highlight his qualities or deficiencies.

Connors refused to comment.

Beveridge said Stringer had unique challenges as a player and person and that the club had supported him through difficult times.

“Each player is presented with a different set of challenges,” he said.

“He’s obviously become a high-profile player very early in the piece and when you think of his life, having two young daughters, obviously going through settlement proceedings because he’s not married, and being a boy from the bush, and the city life ... he’s got a lot on his plate, a lot of challenges.

“And maybe it takes a little while to be able to get on top of those things. But he’s got unique challenges a lot of players haven’t had in the game.’’
    Jake Stringer, Luke Dahlhaus and Tom Liberatore after the Bulldogs premiership.

Beveridge denied reports Stringer stormed out of his end-of-season exit interview.

“When I heard about it, I chuckled,” Beveridge said.

“He didn’t at all. We chatted more about family and future, he has two little girls and about what’s next for him, and we walked out as amicable as we ever have been.

“We’ve always had a good relationship, we still have, there’s no heat.

“The thing about exit meetings is there’s no surprises. Jake wasn’t surprised by anything we said or anything he mentioned to us in so far as what he’s going to work on and what are his strengths, so that was all fine.

“That was purely a fabrication.”
    I am relieved we have finally got some first hand information.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Like Bevo's response - honest without potting Jake.

Clubs are now welcome to pony up their offers
    It's now confirmed that the open for business sign is shining bright.

There is no fire sale, you're expected to pay full retail.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

5. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It's now confirmed that the open for business sign is shining bright.

There is no fire sale, you're expected to pay full retail.
    Whilst maybe not a fire sale I expect that there will be a discount given for damaged goods, with no refund.

Post Thanks / Like

Not happy, but if Bevos had enough he must have burnt a fair old bridge.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Wowee. Thanks for post GVGjr. Beveridge clarifies matters so well and that stupid media innuendo of our club in crisis hopefully dies down. Hope whatever happens Club and Stringer and his family come out of this ok. He looked a little forlorn at vfl on Sunday. I trust Bevo has made right decision. Let's hope club stands tall and is not pushed into a losing deal. Geez wouldn't it be great to land Kelly or Lever or a heap of low draft picks so Dalrymple can weave his magic. Or keep Stringer and have him do a Dusty on us.....very unlikely we keep him methinks. 😔

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Not happy, but if Bevos had enough he must have burnt a fair old bridge.
    Bevo to the boys:

Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Bevo to the boys:
    Cool hand Bevo.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Come on . That's being silly
    He still has currency so I think will still get a good deal.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Cool hand Bevo.
    Now I can be a nice guy, but if you trouble me, I can be a mean son of a bitch
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Wowee. Thanks for post GVGjr. Beveridge clarifies matters so well and that stupid media innuendo of our club in crisis hopefully dies down. Hope whatever happens Club and Stringer and his family come out of this ok. He looked a little forlorn at vfl on Sunday. I trust Bevo has made right decision. Let's hope club stands tall and is not pushed into a losing deal. Geez wouldn't it be great to land Kelly or Lever or a heap of low draft picks so Dalrymple can weave his magic. Or keep Stringer and have him do a Dusty on us.....very unlikely we keep him methinks. ��
    Beautifully said, I hope we don't forget that while everything leads towards a Stringer departure we shouldn't forget he still needs some support during what will be a difficult time.
    I'd hate to see him treated like Callan Ward was by some fans was when he departed and a grudge held onto.

Post Thanks / Like

I trust Bevo has made this decision in our club best interests. For some reason it hasn't worked out for Jake with us and Bevo feels he would be better off elsewhere. I said in another post on another thread that it will be annoying if he is better with another club but hopefully that won't be an issue as will get something very good in return.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see the panic in all of this. If we get the right price for him (we'll want a first round pick - the best we can get, which will be anything from pick 4 to pick 20 odd.

If we don't get offered that, Jake serves out the last year of his contract as an impending free agent. By backing the horse called self interest, Jake will logically have a big dip at a good year. At the end of which, he signs somewhere else for big coin as a free agent and we are compensated accordingly - with a late first round pick.

Beveridge has confirmed discussions have been calm and amicable and it would seem level heads have prevailed.

Jake was virtually carried through our premiership year. He is poor defensively - which I'm sure upsets Beveridge's structure or game plan. Thus the frustration. This is modern footy and we have to get used to it.

16. Likes Nuggety Back Pocket, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bevo has made minimal changes to the playing list since his arrival and I've certainly been one to challenge that but it's is a strong endorsement that he doesn't just write players off on a whim. Clearly it's now in the best interests of both parties to review other options.