Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  59
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jake Stringer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Check out the highlights package .... impressive http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/vi...ul.workstation
    Love the last goal, the backman tried to give him a hard time and he just shrugged him off and ran for goal. Exciting.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Love the last goal, the backman tried to give him a hard time and he just shrugged him off and ran for goal. Exciting.
    I reckon number 3 for Coburg will be playing for Bulla twos this week.

Post Thanks / Like

Very excited to know what is coming in a year or two, hope the Club take their time and don't rush him.
    Seemed to be stretching a cramp out with the last one.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting that any number of posters seem to think that we just pop Stringer in the side and he'll kick goals. But what we have to ask is - what role do we see him playing in he future. Do we see him as a Jonathon Brown type who plays FF and CHF and covers a lot of territory. In which case, he is nowhere near fit enough. He is extremely raw and under done for AFL footy, if that is what we want of him.

If we think his role is to just run around the forward line on his own then we don't understand today's footy. The opposition would kill us on the rebound as he doesn't appear to have the capacity to run and run and run all day like a Nick Reiwoldt. So where do posters see him playing such that his presence won't hurt us defensively?

And how will he work with Jones? Do we see Jones as the primary goal kicker? It will take some time before they can complement each's role in the forward line, and if one is not fit enough I can see that hampering the development of the forward line as a whole, no matter how many goals he kicks.

So for mine, it will be how well he fits into and makes the forward team a well oiled productive and defensive unit under pressure, not just isolated acts of brilliance in kicking a goal or 2.

I also think that he has to learn how to protect his legs. Getting under packs and getting injured does the team no good if he can't play for weeks. Week in week out footy is very demanding on the body - I could see it happening with Dickson who plays a physical brand of footy as well as covering lots of ground.

I want him to be a long term champion as much as anyone but right now I'd rather he do the hard yards of getting aerobic fitness and muscle development before he goes out and kicks 5 and have the whole world tell him how good he is.

Cameo appearances at best for mine so he can get a taste of the pace of the game. He was given space at the weekend, and I'm sure that won't be the case at a higher level.

I'd rather he didn't become another Tom Williams, but I guess that really is in the lap of the Gods.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm interested to know how he is pulling up after these Williamstown games, and how he is operating at training following VFL games? Does anyone know?
    A lot of people are commenting on his fitness but just wondering on the source of the info? I did watch the Coburg game and he seemed to move ok. Saw him tighten up a bit after the last goal but other than that I couldn't see him struggle in anyway. As he was rotated through the bench I noticed the trainers working on his calf but no different to what you see Griffin go through week in week out for the dogs.
    I know he isn't at premium AFL aerobic fitness level but no one is for at least 3 preseasons. What are these issues that prevent him getting 1 or 2 games in over the next few rounds??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HairyMidget View Post
    I'm interested to know how he is pulling up after these Williamstown games, and how he is operating at training following VFL games? Does anyone know?
    A lot of people are commenting on his fitness but just wondering on the source of the info? I did watch the Coburg game and he seemed to move ok. Saw him tighten up a bit after the last goal but other than that I couldn't see him struggle in anyway. As he was rotated through the bench I noticed the trainers working on his calf but no different to what you see Griffin go through week in week out for the dogs.
    I know he isn't at premium AFL aerobic fitness level but no one is for at least 3 preseasons. What are these issues that prevent him getting 1 or 2 games in over the next few rounds??
    Good post Hairy.

Stringer played a fair bit of footy in the midfield for Bendigo Gold and Bendigo pioneers (as well as Vic Country) last year. So chances are he probably has a better aerobic base than most key forwards in their first year. The club will know best, how he is going, and how to manage him.

Stringer has shown some good intensity defensively - and appears to enjoy tackling. I'm really keen to see him play - whenever the coaches feel is the right time. This weekend may be perfect, against the Crows, who's tall defenders don't hurt you the other way anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by metal View Post
    Interesting that any number of posters seem to think that we just pop Stringer in the side and he'll kick goals. But what we have to ask is - what role do we see him playing in he future. Do we see him as a Jonathon Brown type who plays FF and CHF and covers a lot of territory. In which case, he is nowhere near fit enough. He is extremely raw and under done for AFL footy, if that is what we want of him.

If we think his role is to just run around the forward line on his own then we don't understand today's footy. The opposition would kill us on the rebound as he doesn't appear to have the capacity to run and run and run all day like a Nick Reiwoldt. So where do posters see him playing such that his presence won't hurt us defensively?

And how will he work with Jones? Do we see Jones as the primary goal kicker? It will take some time before they can complement each's role in the forward line, and if one is not fit enough I can see that hampering the development of the forward line as a whole, no matter how many goals he kicks.

So for mine, it will be how well he fits into and makes the forward team a well oiled productive and defensive unit under pressure, not just isolated acts of brilliance in kicking a goal or 2.

I also think that he has to learn how to protect his legs. Getting under packs and getting injured does the team no good if he can't play for weeks. Week in week out footy is very demanding on the body - I could see it happening with Dickson who plays a physical brand of footy as well as covering lots of ground.

I want him to be a long term champion as much as anyone but right now I'd rather he do the hard yards of getting aerobic fitness and muscle development before he goes out and kicks 5 and have the whole world tell him how good he is.

Cameo appearances at best for mine so he can get a taste of the pace of the game. He was given space at the weekend, and I'm sure that won't be the case at a higher level.

I'd rather he didn't become another Tom Williams, but I guess that really is in the lap of the Gods.
    Ideally you would want to ease Stringer in as your third big tall. He doesn't have the size of a Jonathan Brown and looks on the shortish side to play as a permanent full forward. We do need goalkickers particularly now without Higgins and Dickson. Jones did well to snare 4 against Richmond but hasn't been a prolific goalkicker in the past. I was wondering if there is any support for moving Goodes forward where he did become a good player in recent years with Williamstown. Goodes reads the game so well and is a good finisher and could be quite lively in attack. Any thoughts!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    Ideally you would want to ease Stringer in as your third big tall. He doesn't have the size of a Jonathan Brown and looks on the shortish side to play as a permanent full forward. We do need goalkickers particularly now without Higgins and Dickson. Jones did well to snare 4 against Richmond but hasn't been a prolific goalkicker in the past. I was wondering if there is any support for moving Goodes forward where he did become a good player in recent years with Williamstown. Goodes reads the game so well and is a good finisher and could be quite lively in attack. Any thoughts!

Maybe switch Goodes in the future but I would prefer to work on a stable, cohesive back six for now. That's my two bobs worth anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Goodes was recruited to play down back as he is a good kick, reads the play well and can run and deliver. He is also one of only two senior players down back.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

He's taller than Ablett Snr & Dunstall, same height & weight as Lockett at the same age. Ablett & Dunstall got their first senior games age 20, Lockett age 17. Stringer is about to turn 19. We have got our hands on the greatest full forward since these three.

#%^* PLAY HIM NOW!!!!
    Last edited by F'scary; 17-04-2013 at 06:07 PM. Reason: increase font size

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    He's taller than Ablett Snr & Dunstall, same height & weight as Lockett at the same age. Ablett & Dunstall got their first senior games age 20, Lockett age 17. Stringer is about to turn 19. We have got our hands on the greatest full forward since these three.
    Today's youth is so much taller than the past. 190/191 is not considered a tall anymore. for example - even Chris Judd is 189cm.

So at best I believe he is the third tall in the forward line, but I agree, play him if he is fit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post

#%^* PLAY HIM NOW!!!!
    Better than Lloyd?

Handy.

Post Thanks / Like

Today's youth is so much taller than the past. 190/191 is not considered a tall anymore. for example - even Chris Judd is 189cm.

So at best I believe he is the third tall in the forward line, but I agree, play him if he is fit.
    And Cale Morton is 192cm... Of fairy floss!

In some ways it comes down to body strength and the type of game they play. Stringer is very strong and plays a tall game, but I agree I don't think he'll ever be that pure key forward at 191cm.

Post Thanks / Like

This. Patton, this new boy Boyd, Sam Day, Tippet and Reid would all have been ruckman size even 15 years ago. He's the same height as Scott Pendlebury, these boys are getting bigger and bigger. He looks third tall size to me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Better than Lloyd?

Handy.
    And...he doesn't throw grass into the air to see which way the breeze is blowing like Lloyd used to do inside Docklands when the roof was closed.