Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  59
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jake Stringer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    This. Patton, this new boy Boyd, Sam Day, Tippet and Reid would all have been ruckman size even 15 years ago. He's the same height as Scott Pendlebury, these boys are getting bigger and bigger. He looks third tall size to me
    Jones at CHF. Cordy FP. Stringer= 3rd tall at FF.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    He's taller than Ablett Snr & Dunstall, same height & weight as Lockett at the same age. Ablett & Dunstall got their first senior games age 20, Lockett age 17. Stringer is about to turn 19. We have got our hands on the greatest full forward since these three.

#%^* PLAY HIM NOW!!!!
    I am with you 100%

Stringer definitely plays tall. I am surprised that he is only 191cm. At 93kg and in his first year, he will monster a few defenders in a few years. He is the same height as Brendan Fevola. Brendan went alright at full forward, too bad he is a dickhead.

So what if Tippett, Reid, Franklin and the like are the new age size for forwards. Apart from Franklin (freak), those other tall forwards haven't exactly etched their names into the record books now have they?

Stringer is an ideal height for a full forward.

If we have put up with Cordy not touching the ball hardly, I sure we can give Stringer a bit of leeway to ease himself into the AFL system.

I'm excited!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    This. Patton, this new boy Boyd, Sam Day, Tippet and Reid would all have been ruckman size even 15 years ago. He's the same height as Scott Pendlebury, these boys are getting bigger and bigger. He looks third tall size to me
    this is true, but even when they were playing, Ablett and Glen Archer (to throw in another name) weren't tall as other KPP's and nowhere near ruckman size, this is the type of player we have on our hands with Jake.
    Last edited by Dancin' Douggy; 17-04-2013 at 07:53 PM. Reason: grammar

Post Thanks / Like

Great posting metal. Agreed - His 5 in the VFL were a good sign, but by no means transferable to AFL. Do a Geelong and make sure he's good and ready.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    And Cale Morton is 192cm... Of fairy floss!

In some ways it comes down to body strength and the type of game they play. Stringer is very strong and plays a tall game, but I agree I don't think he'll ever be that pure key forward at 191cm.
    True even our own Grant plays small and is around 192cm (without looking it up)
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    True even our own Grant plays small and is around 192cm (without looking it up)
    Actually, we know he can take a nice grab. He has just lost it for the time being and plays like a gutless outside receiver. He just has to stop wandering round the field with that sagging shoulders, head bowed down, woe is me look (seen him in the team photo?), stand up straight to his full height, jostle and elbow his opponent, put his arms above his head and jump hard towards the long ball with his eyes following it all the way from the boot. Simple.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    I am with you 100%

Stringer definitely plays tall. I am surprised that he is only 191cm. At 93kg and in his first year, he will monster a few defenders in a few years. He is the same height as Brendan Fevola. Brendan went alright at full forward, too bad he is a dickhead.

So what if Tippett, Reid, Franklin and the like are the new age size for forwards. Apart from Franklin (freak), those other tall forwards haven't exactly etched their names into the record books now have they?

Stringer is an ideal height for a full forward.

If we have put up with Cordy not touching the ball hardly, I sure we can give Stringer a bit of leeway to ease himself into the AFL system.

I'm excited!!
    I am with you brother! And Fevola is a near contemporary who only went extinct a couple of years ago because his species Homo Dickheadii did not produce offspring when a suitable compatible species (Laraus Bingleii) was available.

And you're right. If Cordy, the majority of whose games have been played with the physique of a stick insect, has to be persevered with in the seniors, why not do the same with Jake "the Bean"* Stringer?

*Freebie and the Bean reference. Not Mr Bean.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't seen a hell of a lot of Stringer play but was thinking that Taylor Walker might be a decent comparison to Jake?

Walker 192cm 100kg 25-04-1990
    Stringer 191cm 93kg 25-04-1994 (didn't realise they were both born on Anzac Day!)

Obviously Stringer has the body type that could easily put on the extra kgs that Walker has, although that may not be the best thing for him as this stage. Jake seems to have a few more strings to his bow (pun intended) than Walker, being a little more versatile with his ability to play through the midfield.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if Walker can dominate games as he has at full forward I see no reason why Stringer can't as well given his considerable talent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I guess what I'm trying to say is that if Walker can dominate games as he has at full forward I see no reason why Stringer can't as well given his considerable talent.
    Yeah I don't buy the too short argument. He does need to work on his fitness though, if they put a gorilla defender on him he needs to be able to go up the ground and burn them off.

I would also like to make the point his propensity to work is there, he just needs the fitness to back it up.
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I haven't seen a hell of a lot of Stringer play but was thinking that Taylor Walker might be a decent comparison to Jake?

Walker 192cm 100kg 25-04-1990
    Stringer 191cm 93kg 25-04-1994 (didn't realise they were both born on Anzac Day!)

Obviously Stringer has the body type that could easily put on the extra kgs that Walker has, although that may not be the best thing for him as this stage. Jake seems to have a few more strings to his bow (pun intended) than Walker, being a little more versatile with his ability to play through the midfield.

Good points, it's folly to suggest he isn't "big enough" to play as a key forward.
    The issue is we need multiple options. On what I saw in the last Under 18 champs I'd be stoked if we got Tom Boyd. Two big kp forwards to build a team around

Post Thanks / Like

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=share&v=VEB0tSkwBns

Would love for this Stringer to return. How much more dangerous would we be hey.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Good points, it's folly to suggest he isn't "big enough" to play as a key forward.
    The issue is we need multiple options. On what I saw in the last Under 18 champs I'd be stoked if we got Tom Boyd. Two big kp forwards to build a team around
    You must be stoked Remi
    The curse is dead.

13. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=share&v=VEB0tSkwBns

Would love for this Stringer to return. How much more dangerous would we be hey.
    He'll be back. He loves playing like that too much for this Jake to be here too long I reckon.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of those highlights Jake was hunting the ball or leading to the footy. That didn't seem to happen as much last year. Even his opponents seem to wait for the fend of play and most times he lost possession.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

2016 highlights aren't bad either

Last edited by bornadog; 23-02-2017 at 10:15 AM. Reason: typo
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.