Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  59
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jake Stringer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    This will be his year. For all his failings in games last year I believe he worked hard and learnt humility on the footy field. Made better decisions too rather than always getting caught etc. It was a real learning year for him. Another year of experience and with Crammers and Cloke to help out he'll be unstoppable this year. Could easily be in the top 10 players in the AFL at the end of the season. He could do anything, take mark of the year (it's going to happen at some stage) and kick 70 goals...
    Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Call me crazy but I think he is going to have a monster year this season and be at around 70 goals.
    Me too crazy
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

wont kick 70 as he'll be playing more on the ball If he keeps fit he will be as valuable as Robbie Gray.

Post Thanks / Like

Me too crazy
    haha dont know how I missed this.

Quote Originally Posted by Throughandthrough View Post
    wont kick 70 as he'll be playing more on the ball If he keeps fit he will be as valuable as Robbie Gray.
    I'm not sure that he will be on ball much if at all. He should be in there as a pinch hitter, not even every game.

Post Thanks / Like

On AFL Website: A complete package, April 7, 2017

It was vintage Jake Stringer.

With six and a half minutes to play in last Friday night’s arm wrestle with Sydney, Stringer burst out the middle and launched one from just inside the centre square.

The crowd went up, as did that familiar one finger celebration and the game was over - the Dogs eventually running out 23-point winners over the Swans take their record to 2-0 on the season.

For the neutrals it was footy poetry, but for the Bulldogs fans it was something more.

By his own admission, the 22-year-old Stringer had an up and down 2016 season, despite his team’s success, he went into the offseason determined to grow his game, and so far, the signs are good.

To get to the next level as a player he wanted to add versatility and to do that, he needed to increase his running power.

Enter Lachie Hunter.

“I did a lot of running with Lachie, who’s an elite runner and one of my best mates,” he told SEN’s recently.

“He put me through the works during the pre-season, he really set me up to be able to run out games and to get myself into the midfield.

“It’s just a lot of hard work that’s got me to be able to go through the midfield and get a couple of kicks.”

Stringer returned looking svelte, yet powerful, and when coach Luke Beveridge has asked him to go into the middle of the ground this season, good things are happening.

In the two opening games of the season he has recorded career highs in disposals, marks and on the back of more time in the centre square, he has doubled his inside 50s.

So what does the future hold for Jake Stringer? Is he a lead-up forward, an explosive midfielder or is a it a combination of both – a player able to impact the contest for in all areas of the ground, across four quarters

He hasn’t had to look far for inspiration.

“[A versatile player is] something that I’m aspiring to be,” Stringer said.

“Bonti [Marcus Bontempelli] is at that stage where he can do that now so that’s where I’m trying to get my base to…. I just want to be as versatile as I can for the team.”

While the Stringer highlights package is as good as anybody’s, it’s his potential evolution into a more complete package that should really excite Bulldogs fans.

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - MARCH 31: Jake Stringer of the Bulldogs celebrates a goal during the 2017 AFL round 02 match between the Western Bulldogs and the Sydney Swans at Etihad Stadium on March 31, 2017 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Adam Trafford/AFL Media)
    It always seems impossible until it's done. Nelson Mandela

Post Thanks / Like

So what is everyone hoping we can get for him?

Im hoping the Sainters win the race and we can end up with pick 8. Seems like thats the best case scenario.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Kangas might be stupid enough to offer pick 4, but yeah saints with 8 might be the go if they don't land Kelly.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Was pick 5, been All Australian, kicked 40 in what is considered a poor year.

Minimum top 10 pick. Keep him if we dont get top 10 equivalent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    So what is everyone hoping we can get for him?

Im hoping the Sainters win the race and we can end up with pick 8. Seems like thats the best case scenario.
    Richmond's two picks in the teens - we might need to throw something back their way.
    Or try to nab a pick from Richmond for next year to give us extra points for Rhylee West bidding.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

If we lose Stringer surely we can't let Crameri go?

I'm hoping against hope that we have a massive king hit lined up this trade period Alistair Clarkson style.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

If we lose Stringer surely we can't let Crameri go?

I'm hoping against hope that we have a massive king hit lined up this trade period Alistair Clarkson style.
    Nothing in JMac's track record suggests he is capable of it, and given that he's negotiating his own contract and may even be on the way out, well...it fills me with even less confidence.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Nothing in JMac's track record suggests he is capable of it, and given that he's negotiating his own contract and may even be on the way out, well...it fills me with even less confidence.
    Do you really believe he is negotiating his own contract? Come on Comrade.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    He means with the club not literally writing his own terms.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    He means with the club not literally writing his own terms.
    ok, fair enough, just sounded funny.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Richmond's two picks in the teens - we might need to throw something back their way.
    Or try to nab a pick from Richmond for next year to give us extra points for Rhylee West bidding.
    They might also need an early pick for Naish.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    He's coming out of contract with the club, so yeah, I do believe he's likely negotiating with the club.

However if he's not negotiating a new contract with the club, then it probably means he's headed to another club which makes me even more concerned because the incentive to secure the best deal for Stringer for the Western Bulldogs will obviously not be as critical for him as it would be if he were staying long term.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.