Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cooney will stay with Dogs: Darcy

link

ADAM Cooney's rejuvenation since cutting-edge knee treatment should ensure the Western Bulldogs offer a new contract that convinces him to turn his back on free agency, former captain Luke Darcy says.

Cooney, 27, becomes a restricted free agent at the end of this season, meaning opposition clubs are free to make a play for him, but the Bulldogs can keep him by matching any offer.

When this season's list of free agents was released in March, Cooney was one of the most intriguing players on it.

He was coming off two seasons in which his degenerative right knee had limited him to 27 games and made him a shadow of the player who won the 2008 Brownlow Medal.

But post-season treatment in Germany, which involved taking blood from his arm, separating and incubating its growth cells and injecting them into his knee, has helped Cooney train harder and perform better than he has in years.

After this season's first five rounds, he is averaging 23.4 possessions a game – his best return since 2010 – in a new role across half-back and has kicked eight goals.

It's form that will have sparked heightened interest from opposition clubs, but Darcy says the Bulldogs will be desperate to keep Cooney, and the 187-game Bulldog will be equally keen to stay.

"The best thing from my point of view, wearing my Western Bulldogs supporter's hat, is that there will be a heap of (opposition) attention again because Adam's knee looks great and he's moving like the player who won a Brownlow Medal," Darcy said.

"If he was going down the same path that he was the last two years with his degenerative knee, not being able to train, he probably wasn't going to have options to do anything really.

"But now I think the Bulldogs will be desperate to keep him and, having played with him, he strikes me as the sort of guy who would be very, very comfortable staying at the one club.

"I still believe that is a massive factor in people's decisions, so, unless there is some sort of massive discrepancy or an opportunity that is just out of this world, my belief is he's not someone who would jump ship."

Cooney signed a lucrative contract back in May 2010, at a time when Gold Coast had approached him to be part of its inaugural list and when the right patella he cracked in the 2008 finals series had not yet degenerated to the extent of 2011-12.

Despite the ongoing uncertainty surrounding Cooney's knee, Darcy said he had shown this year he could play as an "elite" half-back for another three or four seasons.

Darcy believed if Cooney's form and good health continued, the Bulldogs would eventually offer him the money and length of tenure that would ensure he rejected any tempting opposition offers.

Darcy also thought the Bulldogs would prioritise retaining him on their young list above any free agency compensation they might get for him leaving.

But prominent sports physician Dr Peter Larkins told AFL.com.au any opposition suitors should be aware Cooney's knee condition remained degenerative and would still require careful management.

"There's nothing magical about the Regenokine treatment Adam received in Germany," Larkins said, explaining that it aimed to stop further cartilage damage and knee swelling.

"His symptoms have settled down since, but I've always said be cautious about saying he's over his knee problem because it's early in the season.

"He's had the knee controlled through the pre-season and five rounds, but it remains to be seen whether it will stand up to 25 weeks of footy."

Larkins said Cooney's knee would likely require further treatment, with a similar procedure to Regenokine, Orthokine, now available in Australia and already used by St Kilda captain Nick Riewoldt.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cooney will stay with Dogs: Darcy

Need to stitch up Cooney NOW!!

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Need to stitch up Cooney NOW!!
    Will be interesting to see what he is offered. Id imagine we would have plenty of room in our cap considering our list profile. Hopefully Adam repays the faith the club has put in him over the last few years and signs sooner rather than later.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

It's great to see Coons finally stringing some games together. However I would like to see how the season pans out before signing him to another 3 year deal. Fingers crossed his knee holds up and we see Cooney for a few more years.

Post Thanks / Like

It would be really disappointing if Cooney chased big money somewhere else after being on massive overs for what he's produced the last few years. I'd like to think there'd be fair bit of loyalty built up for the patience we've shown him.

Post Thanks / Like

Not worried about him going. We have enough money in the cap to match any offer and I can't see any club offering massive amounts when you take into account he's a year by year proposition at best. Would be a brave (more likely stupid) club that offers him massive money and long years when you consider where his knees at...and more than likely its an offer we could match

Post Thanks / Like

I'd go year by year contract. Two years at most for this one. Degenerative knee problem. Five games into this season isn't enough to suddenly throw a three year contract at a 28 year old with these problems.

Who'd offer him a massive amount more?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M.R.M View Post
    Who'd offer him a massive amount more?
    GC or GWS comes to mind. What about a team on the verge of a premiership and wants that star to help them over the line.

Post Thanks / Like

GC or GWS comes to mind. What about a team on the verge of a premiership and wants that star to help them over the line.
    I could see it coming from GC or GWS but I don't see any of the contenders having cap space, perhaps Freo but they need a big forward. I think we are in the drivers seat, no matter what offer comes in we have the capability at least of matching it, the choice will come down to whether we believe he is worth what's offered

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    I could see it coming from GC or GWS but I don't see any of the contenders having cap space, perhaps Freo but they need a big forward. I think we are in the drivers seat, no matter what offer comes in we have the capability at least of matching it, the choice will come down to whether we believe he is worth what's offered
    You may be right, but all I can see is us losing out yet again, instead of stiching him up early and then there is no controversy

Post Thanks / Like

Trade bait to the Crows for Lyons? I would.

Post Thanks / Like

What about a team on the verge of a premiership and wants that star to help them over the line.
    One would think most teams up the pointy of the ladder wouldn't have much room in their salary cap, but seeing as though both Sydney & Hawthorn made big acquistions in the last off-season who knows??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    One would think most teams up the pointy of the ladder wouldn't have much room in their salary cap, but seeing as though both Sydney & Hawthorn made big acquistions in the last off-season who knows??
    Sydney has the extra 10% they say doesn't help them secure individual players, while Hawthorn are paying Lake well less than what he was receiving at the Bulldogs.

I don't think any side other than GWS or GC will throw buckets at him though. I'd prefer to keep him, though we need to be realistic about his potential to break down.

If he holds the club over a barrel in lieu of seeking an unrealistic contract, we'll just have to let him go.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Throughandthrough View Post
    Trade bait to the Crows for Lyons? I would.

Lyons?

Post Thanks / Like

Jarryd Lyons. Clearance king of the Sanfl. Possibly leading the Margarey. Only a young fella from Victoria. Has been an emergency 3 or 4 times this year for the Crows