Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Jordan Roughead - Back or Forward

Height: 200cm Weight: 100kg Position: Defender
    Last Drafted: Round 2, Pick #31 2008 National Draft

Macca tried to switch Roughead into the backline and in making that decision sent Lake packing. Whilst Roughy has played some good games in the fullback position, in 2014 he struggled and had some big scores kicked against him.

I think some of his form was effected by his shoulder injuries and he played some games with shear guts when really he shouldn't have been playing.

So, should we persist with him at fullback or move him forward to a CHF role?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jordan Roughead - Back or Forward

I would love to see him next to Boyd in the forward line, IMO it took his cousin a little time to get to the elite level and he had Buddy beside him.
    The issue I have though is we don't have anyone of similar ilk to immediately to replace him in the backline.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we are limited for options really.

The only key defenders on the list are Roughead, Morris, Roberts, Talia and Austin, with Redpath a maybe.

Roughy and Redpath are the only ones who are big enough to play on the really big forwards, and Roughy is a long way ahead of Redpath. Unless we draft a mature age defender then anyone we draft won't be ready ahead of the above so Roughy is stuck down back I think.

If we had have recruited someone like Lonergan that would have given us some flexibility, but in the meantime Roughead is a crucial part to ensuring our defence is not undersized.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with the sentiments that our options have been limited.

At this point he seems a yard off and at times lost down back to keep a close check on the bigger mobile forwards.

Would prefer to see him groomed as a CHF.

My how we need Talia and Roberts to develop into key defenders.

Post Thanks / Like

Roughead needs to be able to switch between a variety of roles. Forward, back and in the ruck and I think he is capable of doing this.

His main focus will be as a defender but hopefully we can use him in the other roles.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Move him forward - he's much better as a second ruck/forward and he's at the age now to really begin delivering.

Let's make our forward half a real strength, rather than trying to rob Peter to pay Paul by 'patching' up the backline, when in reality, he isn't a great key defender anyway.

We'll clearly experience some pain down back, but let's develop, draft and trade to fix that area of the ground.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Backline.

Fully fit next year - and with (hopefully) an improved team defence (ie. pressure on the opposition through the middle/half forward) and I'm confident we will get an excellent return from Roughead playing on the 195+ & 200cm+ forwards.

I think Roughead's career can follow Cale Hooker's in trajectory. Hooker is 2 years older - and in the past 18 months has really come into his own in the role and grown in confidence. I don't see any reason why Roughead, with his smarts and application, can't do the same.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't be surprised if Lonergan was looked at in order for Roughie to go forward, so it may have been in Macca's plans anyway. I remember him being very commanding at CHF for a few games when he started with the club. Like others, I would like to see him play CHF but this all depends on the development of Talia, Roberts and to a lesser extent Redpath. If one of these players progresses faster than expected we can afford to play Roughie forward at times, although I am loathe to abandon Morris down back to play on guys 10 cm taller and 10 kg heavier than himself. We are still a KPP short. I'm hoping Talia has a break out year.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Hard call, putting backline issues aside....Id like to have a good look at him up forward. He would have to play CHF given we'll have Boyd deep (still pinching myself ). My question is would he have the motor / fitness to lead up continually and be that conduit?

Slightly off topic, with the current draft crop of KPF's, are there any that suit CHF, or are they traditionally FF?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stevw9 View Post
    Hard call, putting backline issues aside....Id like to have a good look at him up forward. He would have to play CHF given we'll have Boyd deep (still pinching myself ). My question is would he have the motor / fitness to lead up continually and be that conduit?

Slightly off topic, with the current draft crop of KPF's, are there any that suit CHF, or are they traditionally FF?
    Now we have a monster up forward we don't necessarily need another one at CHF. A good lead up CHF with high constitution, strength and dexterity will be a good option. Crameri ticks these boxes and while he is not your traditional CHF size he is certainly more than capable of providing an excellent option across the HF line.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Boyd can stand and deliver but prefers to lead and is a good long accurate kick for goal, so Im thinking CHF. Roughy more suited to the long kick to FF option, IMO, and his kicking for goal is not fantastic, so the closer the better.

We have Fletch and Talia available a backs. Is 2015 time to throw them to the wolves? Is there a VFL tall defender that we can draft? A simple stopper would do.

I cant imagine looking down the field and seeing Boyd and Roughead in the forward line at the same time - my head would implode I think.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefoid View Post
    Boyd can stand and deliver but prefers to lead and is a good long accurate kick for goal, so Im thinking CHF. Roughy more suited to the long kick to FF option, IMO, and his kicking for goal is not fantastic, so the closer the better.

We have Fletch and Talia available a backs. Is 2015 time to throw them to the wolves? Is there a VFL tall defender that we can draft? A simple stopper would do.

I cant imagine looking down the field and seeing Boyd and Roughead in the forward line at the same time - my head would implode I think.
    Boyd doesn't have a tank - he's always played the traditional FF role.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd keep Roughead back. Boyd at FF, 2nd ruck/fwd in the pocket, Crameri and Stringer leading up outside f50 and smalls in Dahl, Hunter, Honeychurch and Dickson getting around the feet or getting on the lead when other teams try to drop an extra back.

Main issue for me is that neither Talia, Roberts or Austin looked like securing the CHB or FB roles so taking Roughead away without a better replacement is just a recipe for disaster. If one or two of them can secure spots, then maybe look at Roughead for fwd/ruck.

Post Thanks / Like

Firstly, Roughead played injured for quite a number of games last year. If he can get full fitness up and not play in pain (as he obviously was) he is a different proposition as a FB. Having said that, the leading full forwards appear to cause him problems and perhaps a number of our opponents may try to get him mismatched as a tactic.

I think we will need to continue to play him at FB, CHB or BP next year because Talia and Roberts, let alone Big Jack, seem to be a long way off the mark. But it would be great if one or more of them could prove me wrong and start the season as a KPB and own it from the first bounce.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Has to be full back next season. We're paper thin there already