Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  44
Page 7 of 68 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161757 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Operation Get Tom Boyd

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsman View Post
    What if Melbourne get the No 1 pick?

Would GWS be interested in trading Patton?
    They'd have even less reason to do so wouldn't they?

Draft draft and draft for us unless someone desperately wants Cooney and will pay a premium.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Superdog View Post
    They'd have even less reason to do so wouldn't they?

Draft draft and draft for us unless someone desperately wants Cooney and will pay a premium.
    Probably, but we have plenty of inside mids which may interest them. Either way, it's hard to see it happening.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm....Callan Ward is a mercenary but someone suggests we pack Cooney off to GWS and the response is...where do I sign?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Hmmm....Callan Ward is a mercenary but someone suggests we pack Cooney off to GWS and the response is...where do I sign?
    Two very different things.

Ward was hitting his straps nd had his career ahead of him, which would have been over 200 games and included captaincy.

Cooney is winding down, is being paid a mint and despite his greatness, his talent will be wasted in his remaining years. Cooney leaving opens up the salary cap and may net us another good player.

Like meerkats. Two very different things.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post

Ward was hitting his straps nd had his career ahead of him, which would have been over 200 games and included captaincy.

Cooney is winding down, is being paid a mint and despite his greatness, his talent will be wasted in his remaining years. Cooney leaving opens up the salary cap and may net us another good player.

28 years old he is not winding down.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    28 years old he is not winding down.
    28 years old with a degenerative knee injury since winning a brownlow at 22/23 probably is though wouldnt you agree?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wimberga View Post
    28 years old with a degenerative knee injury since winning a brownlow at 22/23 probably is though wouldnt you agree?
    Agreed.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Just on the idea that GWS takes best available (Boyd) then trades one out sometime down the track I'm not sold on it as I'm not sure its how reality works. Hypothetically lets say GWS finish bottom grab Boyd as best available but also end up with Franklin. They simply can't squeeze all four in so lets say Patton is the unlucky man who eeks out the occasional game for the seniors and plays in the twos most weeks. Boyd lives up to the hype and looks a very good player alongside Franklin and Cameron so there isn't a place for Patton.

Fast forward to the 2014 trade period and Patton's on the market, GWS would be kidding themselves if they think they get anywhere near Patton's true worth in a trade, a 21 year old former number 1 with a heap of talent but hasn't had the opportunity to show it and carrying a knee reco over his head. They might get a mid first rounder or a B+ player in a trade but it isn't the return on investment you'd want for a number one draft pick.

Surely the better option would be to take an Aish or a Scharenberg, get a guy who can fulfill his potential in a position you need OR trade the pick now and get its true value rather then diluting it by waiting. Every year these kids are on a list and not in the view of the football community their currency falls.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post

Not really.

Ward screwed us over to go there, we would be screwing Cooney over to send him there.

It's a bit hypocritical to say that players should show loyalty to us when they are offered a great opportunity (in wards case $$$) but when the club is offered a great opportunity (pick 1) it's ok.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Not really.

Ward screwed us over to go there, we would be screwing Cooney over to send him there.

It's a bit hypocritical to say that players should show loyalty to us when they are offered a great opportunity (in wards case $$$) but when the club is offered a great opportunity (pick 1) it's ok.
    Keep in mind that the player has to agree to the trade too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    That's probably true enough. Getting Lake would have stretched things as well.

Their selling point is about being a one club player and the chance to play finals football including GF.

I still think they are in with a good chance to keep him.
    That's what Geelong sold to Ablett.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wimberga View Post
    Keep in mind that the player has to agree to the trade too.
    Sure but in most cases where the club has made it clear they would like to trade a player to another club, the player moves on rather than playing where he believes he is not wanted.

I love the way we class the Cooney scenario as different to the Ward scenario simply because they are at different stages of their careers. We hold different standards of morality depending whether we think we win or lose on the deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Sure but in most cases where the club has made it clear they would like to trade a player to another club, the player moves on rather than playing where he believes he is not wanted.

I love the way we class the Cooney scenario as different to the Ward scenario simply because they are at different stages of their careers. We hold different standards of morality depending whether we think we win or lose on the deal.
    Your probably right AR for those who are dirty on Ward.

I don't begrudge Ward one bit, would have loved him to stay but he chose to go and that's fine. And with regards to Cooney, If we were offered pick 1 for him + 5 & wood or something of the like, I would be open to that too. If the club were to actively seek a trade for him, that would be fine too because you have to look after yourself first.

I support the club and those players who play for it. Players who leave or players who are traded matter less to me but I wont be dirty on them. I need to have faith that the club is doing what it can for the benefit of the club.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    would we trade pick 5 (or thereabouts) AND Macrae for No.1 (Boyd) Is he that good?
    I was throwing the types of offers they might be interested in hearing but I wouldn't do it.

Offering the likes of Wood, Cooney and Higgins isn't going to get it done.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

In all honesty, we need a gun midfielder just as much as we need a Key forward.
    Who of our current batch, are gonna burst out of the centre like Griffen, and like Cooney used to, and bang goals from outside 50, or deliver it lace out to a leading Stringer.

We need some top end talent in there.