Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  48
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Jackson Macrae

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jackson Macrae

Never seen him run so quickly. Chase down tackles, breaking away from packs, kicked a goal and got free inside 50
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Currently our best player?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

3. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Currently our best player?
    Along with Dahl.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Brilliant 2nd half. Has become a real leader at our club.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Even hit a target on his right boot. Obviously working on his weaknesses.
    Bit harsh. I think he's usually pretty neat on his right foot.

An absolute gun player. Goes all day - incredible work ethic. I've said this before and it remains true - he looks like a 16 year old girl but is as tough as they come.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, our best player.

No real flaws in his game currently, he's improving his attacking game and he's elite at everything else.

Post Thanks / Like

He's my favourite. Tough, clean and holds onto the footy instead of wasting it.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

He just runs and runs then when he can't run he runs some more. Gun. Absolute gun and incredibly he improves a bit more each season.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Jacko is so reliable. Possibly the most underrated player in the AFL.

11. Likes anfo27 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Made the below post about Jack a few years ago - he certainly has built on the majority of areas I mentioned.

Those with more coaching knowledge than myself, can his kicking penetration be improved?

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    As some of you may recall, Macrae was very impressive in his final year of junior footy, having demonstrated his composure and ball use at U/18 level, particularly through the State Champs and then his continued improvement at TAC Cup level towards the end of the season.

Coming into the AFL system, he has quickly managed to build a body that is going to be able to withstand the rigors of senior footy, whilst continuing to grow a bit taller. He's not the quickest bloke, but he has good game sense in that he can work to good spots offensively and his agility to get around players once he's in possession.

Whilst I don't like to be critical of younger players who are still developing, particularly those who I rate very highly and have had great starts to their careers, Jacko has a bit of work to do to elevate himself to a real top line player. At the moment I would say his main areas of weakness are:-

- defensive accountability (highlighted by our former coach)
    - kicking penetration
    - contested ball winning ability
    - overhead marking ability

For a player of his size, both in height and build, he should be able to improve his contested ball and overhead marking ability. Whilst they may never be his strong suits, I think he can become more than capable in those areas.

For someone who at the moment accumulates a lot of the ball, he needs to work on his hurt factor by trying to increase his ability to roost a ball over a zone. At the moment he has a tendency to look for the shorter options more often, which isn't necessarily a bad thing when that's the best option, but at times he seems a bit reluctant or unable to spot up a really nice, longer kick.

His defensive work is also an area of improvement, which I probably put down to fitness at this stage. Once his running ability improves and becomes elite, he will have more legs to work back harder but it continues to be an area that he needs to work at and focus on.

So all of that being said, do you feel my assessments are fair?

Can Macrae develop his game to take the next step and go from being a well performed rookie to being a player that is capable inside and out, capable of beating a tag and generally becoming a big bodied midfielder with great skills and composure?

Should we be looking at developing his contested game by giving him more opportunities in tight around the clearance, or is that a waste of his current talents, which is his link up and outside game?

13. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes Remi Moses liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Bit harsh. I think he's usually pretty neat on his right foot.

An absolute gun player. Goes all day - incredible work ethic. I've said this before and it remains true - he looks like a 16 year old girl but is as tough as they come.
    It have him above only Sucking and maybe Hunter as far as one sided players go.

Normally he'd go out of his way to use his left but today use his right to hit Campbell instead of slowing us down which is a good sign for him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quite a few WOOFers were down on him at the start of last year, in part because his 'hurt' factor is sometimes hard to see. To some I think he brought back troubling memories of Sam Power, especially as Macrea also had a tendancy to float some kicks. As the year progressed however, his elite hands became more apparent, especially as we began pinging the ball around more. I think his gut running also became more apparent - just keeps on keeping on in a remarkable way. And he has shown an ability to slice the opposition open with a scything kick on the 45 degree angle (although sometimes he enjoys doing this too much and gets picked off on it).

Sometimes I think the exhaustion brought on by his intense running causes some disposal issues late in games and in quarters (he missed Stringer badly with a handball in the 3rd quarter today for example - Hunter is another whose immense running can lead to some iffy disposals late in the piece). And I still think he can improve on his contested marking - there was another moment against the Lions today when he'd got out the back but didn't take the body out of the opposing player which allowed the spoil. That said, these are minor things. His work-rate, hands, and vision are above elite, his tacking is impressive, and as others have noted he keeps on improving. It's a such a pleasure to have in the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    43 possessions and 2 goals against GCS a few years ago
    From memory this was done in the game back after being dropped by BMac - it was an impressive response from someone still very young. Jackson was dropped by pretty early by Bevo in 2015, but hasn't looked back since then.
    Although it broke our hearts it did not break our will

16. Likes The Underdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just about my favourite player. Apart from Bont. And Murph. And Dale Morris...and..

Jackson is really having a great year. When things were tight in the last qtr v Nth I marvelled at the ground he covered. He is much tougher than he looks and he mightn't look like he has that Liam Picken ferocity, but you feel he's one of those blokes who simply can't stand losing.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Outstanding in the first half when we were struggling , and with Luke Dahl would be leading the b +f .

Post Thanks / Like

Watch his Grand Final and he was stiff not win the Norm Smith. The little things he did and his tackling were outstanding. When he was on the end of it we often scored.