Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lets Discuss - Tom Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by FootscrayFan View Post
    I remember that aswell, took a couple of contested marks and kicked one, could be mistaken there.he was subbed off just after half time didn't get a good run at it
    Was talking to our greatest ever ruckman earlier this year. He really rates 'BIG TOM'!!!.....as a ruckman

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Avoid the rush View Post
    Was talking to our greatest ever ruckman earlier this year. He really rates 'BIG TOM'!!!.....as a ruckman
    Nice to hear Nicholas Bruton's views...

I was a bit surprised to see Campbell mentioned in the Shape up or Ship out Thread. He's contracted to the end of 2016 and I think it's likely he will become a good ruckman at AFL level.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-02-0...resign-big-man

3. Likes Twodogs, bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought it was Grgic or john Taylor .
    Still hold out hope Big Tom will get there

Post Thanks / Like

Campbell is a genuine ruckman in terms of height and weight. Campbell has the tools for playing around the ground or in the forward line. I think he is average as a tap ruckman but will improve with more experience. He is reasonable with his bullocking work but could improve more here too (this is one of Minson's biggest strengths). Campbell is miles ahead of Ayce. He therefore deserves to be played as number 1 ruck in the VFL. If he shows sufficient form and Minson's AFL form is below par, time to give the Soup a go! If Minson's form is good and Campbell's form is good, we could investigate a team structure that includes them both. Perhaps Campbell in the FP changing ruck and Minson goes to the bench for 5 to 10 minutes per quarter.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    Campbell is a genuine ruckman in terms of height and weight. Campbell has the tools for playing around the ground or in the forward line. I think he is average as a tap ruckman but will improve with more experience. He is reasonable with his bullocking work but could improve more here too (this is one of Minson's biggest strengths). Campbell is miles ahead of Ayce. He therefore deserves to be played as number 1 ruck in the VFL. If he shows sufficient form and Minson's AFL form is below par, time to give the Soup a go! If Minson's form is good and Campbell's form is good, we could investigate a team structure that includes them both. Perhaps Campbell in the FP changing ruck and Minson goes to the bench for 5 to 10 minutes per quarter.
    This is where it has been tricky. Minson is the superior ruckman but Campbell arguably offers more around the ground. If we can make this work it will be a massive boost both to the team and Campbell's development going forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps Campbell in the FP changing ruck and Minson goes to the bench for 5 to 10 minutes per quarter.
    Perhaps 5 minutes a quarter but you can't have a ruckman sit on the bench for 10 minutes each quarter - it would compromise the midfield rotations to far too great an extent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Perhaps 5 minutes a quarter but you can't have a ruckman sit on the bench for 10 minutes each quarter - it would compromise the midfield rotations to far too great an extent.
    I think you are right on this. That's the problem with Minson. He is near useless when playing in the FP. Can't take a mark, slow when chasing, gives away silly free kicks, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it would be a blessing if Campbell gets a sustained run at it next season.
    He should have played more often last season, with Minson's poor form.
    We need to know whether Tom can handle the main gig, and with Will being in the side we'll never know.

Post Thanks / Like

We've got to give him time in the AFL and not just pinch hitting duties while playing forward the rest of the game full games as the #1 ruck. This should have happened in 2014 but Will was rewarded for past form which was disappointing. I think we've got a good one here, would love to see him handle more of the work load in 2015.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you are right on this. That's the problem with Minson. He is near useless when playing in the FP. Can't take a mark, slow when chasing, gives away silly free kicks, etc.
    I think you were bang on last year with the Willhurts our structure post.
    I mean no disrespect to Will, but that's a valid point.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    I think you were bang on last year with the Willhurts our structure post.
    I mean no disrespect to Will, but that's a valid point.
    We have to thank Eade for constructing the definitive scientific experiment to test the hypothesis that Minson could play as a forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Will he be recalled to our senior line up soon do you think or does he need more VFL games.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Will he be recalled to our senior line up soon do you think or does he need more VFL games.
    Not quite there yet for mine Easty, although I only caught a bit of the weekends game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Not quite there yet for mine Easty, although I only caught a bit of the weekends game.
    Ok. Yeah will be good to see him in action at senior level again and see what he does. I think we don't want Tom Boyd to play in the ruck which he can because we got him for the purposes of being a full forward. Do you see Campbell in the future replacing Will Minson?
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Do you see Campbell in the future replacing Will Minson?
    He looks the most capable on our list to be Minson's replacement.

Like you seem to be suggesting, we need to get some senior games into him this year - hopefully he can put in some strong performances at VFL level over the next few weeks and demand a game.

17. Likes Eastdog liked this post