Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  17
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Who should be next Captain

I know Griff has only just taken this on but who should be groomed to be the next Captain.
    I think either Roughead or Wallis.
    What are your ideas.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who should be next Captain

A lot can happen in two or three years. Wallis seems to be a popular choice but hopefully we see others come forward. Although a little quiet, perhaps Libba could grow into this role. Of the really young blokes, Hovat strikes me as someone who could become a leader.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks AR for your input

4. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally I think Clay Smith will take over from Griffen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Personally I think Clay Smith will take over from Griffen.
    Mainly a hunch and the way he goes about it on-field?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Mainly a hunch and the way he goes about it on-field?
    No, off field as well, I think he's a leader of men type. He needs a little polish, but he's quite bright and speaks pretty well

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing personal towards Smith, as much i love him, he really should go to the dentist to get his teeth done, a set of strong perfect teeth/jaw goes long way, is quite important for an athlete actually, it reflects a lot of things from a person's perspective health, state of mind, mental strength, life style, habits etc. could benefit the career especially someone aspiring to be a leader of the club, if not fixed properly, really not good for the long term especially injury-wise.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    No, off field as well, I think he's a leader of men type. He needs a little polish, but he's quite bright and speaks pretty well
    Can see Hrovat take over from Griffen for the reasons you mention. He's a little man but I just think he's gonna be a Boomer Harvey on the footy field and he presents well.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's too hard to tell. For ever Gia was next in line and then Boyd came up, despite Gia being good enough to get hired as an assistant while still playing.

For me, it's not about just a captain, but a group like BMac had the pleasure of having at Geelong. So a strong vocal leader as captain, and then a solid group of leaders like Roughy, Hrovat, Maccare, Minson, Wallis, Libba, Smith, Crameri, Bonts. This group needs senior guys around it too like Gia, Boyd, Bob and Morris. (Apologies if I've forgot someone)

With Griff the current leader, were as strong a leadership group as I can remember. The aim is to maintain it for as long as possible and a captain will emerge.

As for the direct question asked, with what I've said in mind, I hope it's someone from our leadership group who will improve with the captaincy.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zucvv View Post
    Nothing personal towards Smith, as much i love him, he really should go to the dentist to get his teeth done, a set of strong perfect teeth/jaw goes long way, is quite important for an athlete actually, it reflects a lot of things from a person's perspective health, state of mind, mental strength, life style, habits etc. could benefit the career especially someone aspiring to be a leader of the club, if not fixed properly, really not good for the long term especially injury-wise.
    To be fair, he's from Bairnsdale, and he's done well just to be able to read and write.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M.R.M View Post
    To be fair, he's from Bairnsdale, and he's done well just to be able to read and write.
    To be fair. Hardly. So just because someone's from Bairnsdale, just puts them in a category does it? bit of profiling there.

I really like the way Jackson McRae speaks. He's a pretty intelligent kid.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M.R.M View Post

Made me chuckle.

Mitch Wallis is an absolute standout for mine. Amazing with the fans, already starred in a membership campaign and has pedigree as a captain.

Looking at it more broadly though, Geelong had a plethora of leaders in their team and the same should be our aim.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    To be fair. Hardly. So just because someone's from Bairnsdale, just puts them in a category does it? bit of profiling there.

You really took that seriously? Come on, a bit of country humour never hurt anyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Could be worse. Could be from Moe.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree and he mentions being in the leadership group in his recent interview. This shows some ambition as well.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.