Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers and Anchors - Round 22

This is the round 22 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against North Melbourne is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys that you we banked on to do the right thing during the game
    The Anchors = 3 guys that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.
    Last edited by Eastdog; 29-08-2015 at 10:21 PM.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers and Anchors - Round 22

Bump. Bank em, Anch em.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers:

Full team effort
    Full game effort
    Fully sick

Anchors:

Not paying holding the ball virtually all day.
    Higgins lining up cheer squad people. Petty and dangerous.
    The Etihad roof. I don't know exactly why yet, but Brad Scott will explain it soon.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

4. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

BANKERS
    1. Hunter - Who'd have picked him as Mr.Reliable 6 weeks ago? 1st halves are amazing. Big pre-season to top up that tank and he'll be the leading AFL possession getter next year.
    2&3. Dahlhaus & Wallis - The engine room. Week in, week out.

ANCHORS
    1. Redpath - Time for a rest big fella.
    Tough to be critical from there, but I'm gonna nominate 3 best 22 players whose energy levels have just looked a little off over the last 2-3 weeks and who may benefit from a 1 week pre-finals freshen; Dickson, Wood, Grant.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    BANKERS
    1. Hunter - Who'd have picked him as Mr.Reliable 6 weeks ago? 1st halves are amazing. Big pre-season to top up that tank and he'll be the leading AFL possession getter next year.
    2&3. Dahlhaus & Wallis - The engine room. Week in, week out.

ANCHORS
    1. Redpath - Time for a rest big fella.
    Tough to be critical from there, but I'm gonna nominate 3 best 22 players whose energy levels have just looked a little off over the last 2-3 weeks and who may benefit from a 1 week pre-finals freshen; Dickson, Wood, Grant.
    You undersell Wood who was really important today. Also think Grant did some terrific things.

B:
    Bonts dragged us back into the game in the second quarter
    Crameri is back to his best
    Roughy did well against the AA ruckman

A:
    Redpath struggled to get involved and kept running underneath the ball
    Couple of kicking by Murph and Biggs were embarrassing
    Me for daring to question the match committee for the team they selected. Once again they've made me look like a idiot.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

7. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    You undersell Wood who was really important today. Also think Grant did some terrific things.

B:
    Bonts dragged us back into the game in the second quarter
    Crameri is back to his best
    Roughy did well against the AA ruckman

A:
    Redpath struggled to get involved and kept running underneath the ball
    Couple of kicking by Murph and Biggs were embarrassing
    Me for daring to question the match committee for the team they selected. Once again they've made me look like a idiot.
    Thought I'd get that. Fair enough.

Not saying they were bad today, and they certainly did do some good things.

Just over the last couple they've lacked a little off their usual zip and reckon a quick freshen would benefit.

Post Thanks / Like

B: Roughead, for trying really hard against the AFL ruck poster boy of the moment. Did *just* enough to stop him and Norf being match winners from the centre bounce clearances.
    JJ, love that speed and got in for a couple of goals
    Morris, Wood & Hamling for holding up well enough to not let their tall forward line be the difference.

A: Selection committee - Grant shouldn't have played tonight, hadn't got over the broken nose, spent too much time on the bench; not giving Tom Boyd a game - we avoided the straight forward long delivery to the top of the goal square too often because of lack of marking power; not sure Webb was the right selection either but he was ok, I suppose, even though it looked like the coaching panel could not find a good position for him on the field.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    Thought I'd get that. Fair enough.

Not saying they were bad today, and they certainly did do some good things.

Just over the last couple they've lacked a little off their usual zip and reckon a quick freshen would benefit.
    Grant played after suffering a compound fracture of his nose last week. Great effort.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Grant played after suffering a compound fracture of his nose last week. Great effort.
    Some really important spoils, got a free with a great shepherd in def 50 after a stuff up, got our only holding the ball with a great tackle, had inside 50's, took a speccy. He missed a set shot and missed Wally just before the HT siren. Hardly an anchor I would've thought. That he did with his face caved in shows his resolve and determination. I thought he was ok without being great or poor and assuming he had a slowed week on the track his subbing off can be explained by concerns over running the game out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Some really important spoils, got a free with a great shepherd in def 50 after a stuff up, got our only holding the ball with a great tackle, had inside 50's, took a speccy. He missed a set shot and missed Wally just before the HT siren. Hardly an anchor I would've thought. That he did with his face caved in shows his resolve and determination. I thought he was ok without being great or poor and assuming he had a slowed week on the track his subbing off can be explained by concerns over running the game out.
    He should have been rested because of the broken nose, he was way below the standard he has played at because of it.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. Stringers run through the middle
    2. Bonti evading two or three and delivering to Picken
    3. Hunters continual good form with another 30 plus disposal game

Anchors
    1. A couple of easy set shots missed by Webb, Stringer, Grant
    2. North's non stop around the neck free kicks - poor discipline.
    3. Macrae's stupid pass and turnover straight to North and giving them momentum in the last quarter.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    L. Hunter
    J. Johannisen
    S. Biggs

Anchors
    Turnovers in the Def 50. Murphy and Biggs were both guilty of turning it over from the kick in. If we had have played a decent side we could have been in trouble.
    S. Higgins. Your petulance is suited to your new home.
    AFL. How the hell does a dud like Firritto get to play 250 games?
    Last edited by craigsahibee; 29-08-2015 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Had to change Punter to Hunter. Hmmmm Freudian?
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

15. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers -
    Midfielder lining up in the centre square today - collectively they did an outstanding job
    Stringer and Crameri coming off the back of the square in the second half
    another good spread of goal kickers
    Anchors -
    Redpaths game in the forward line - much better assisting in the ruck around the ground however
    Dahlhaus and Grant set shot taking
    Some poor field kicking after opposition points being scored
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    He should have been rested because of the broken nose, he was way below the standard he has played at because of it.
    You know what? I reckon Beveridge might just have thought it was really important for someone like Grant to play under duress. He's the sort of player who in the past may not have played after copping that sort of injury and it's a great sign that he found a way to overcome the fear of another heavy knock. He also probably realises that he can't afford to give someone else an opportunity to take his place in the side just two weeks out of finals. He certainly showed no signs of shirking the issue.

18. Likes Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Yep, watching the replay now and his 3 errors were high profile but he made a lot of important team-oriented contributions.