Thanks Thanks:  26
Likes Likes:  17
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Snippet

Post Thanks / Like

Snippet

Hey all,

Just thought I would pass on a few snippets I gathered whilst out for dinner last week with my girlfriend. I'm not sure how valuable this is but wanted to share in any case.

Last Thursday, we decided to eat some pasta down at Amiconi's in North Melbourne. The restaurant is quite small and was reasonably busy, so it was just our luck when Joel Corey and Bontempelli walked in and were seated on the table directly beside us.

My girlfriend wasn't very happy that I wanted her to be quiet so I could listen in on there conversation, but she realised this was pretty cool for me. Below is a bit of a snapshot of what I heard:

- Joel is really enjoying his new role this year and said how it was a different kind of challenge coming to training every day with more responsibility. He said some guys like Monty are really great at just showing up determined and ready every single session whilst other guys like Kingy can be a bit more up and down.

- Bontempelli is wanting to take on more of a leadership role moving forward. I couldn't quite catch everything that was said but they were talking about the current leadership group. Bonts specifically mentioned Roughy being really good in there but he had the benefit of being a bit older than some of the others on the list.

- They spent a long time talking about leadership. Joel was talking quite a bit about when he first joined the leadership group in 2006, and his first action was to make a statement with the whole Stevie J event. He mentioned that Stevie had gone out, gotten incredibly drunk and then I think slept on a couch in some guys backyard. when the guy saw stevie on the couch, he yelled out and called the police and stevie did a runner. Stevie J told the geelong leadership group that he was a friend, but that turned out not to be the case. They banned him for 6 weeks, forced him to get a job and banished him to the VFL. He said that was defining moment for Stevie and he worked a lot harder. He was also able to spend the entire post-GF week getting smashed, to which they both laughed.

- Joel discussed quite a bit more about leadership in general saying how we all want the best players to be the best leaders but it is very rarely the case. He spoke about there being different kinds of leadership and sometimes just being a great player is enough and there is no need to try and be something you are not. (perhaps lesson from Griffen saga).

Overall, it was just awesome hearing these guys chat and I left dinner thinking Joel is an excellent person to have at our footy club and bontempelli has a great head on his shoulders.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Snippet

Cool story Hansel.

Thanks for posting.

Does Bontempelli seem a relaxed or intense type of guy?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

3. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

More importantly, is your girlfriend still talking to you.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

5. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    We have very different priorities sometimes BAD

Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

We have very different priorities sometimes BAD

Post Thanks / Like

This is why I come to WOOF! Great OP, Wimberga.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

It's great to see Bonti spending so much time with Corey. Corey was an A grade midfielder and passing on his knowledge will make a huge difference to Bonti. I bought some lunch recently at Barkers Cafe and saw them there eating lunch together, but didn't hear what they were talking about.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

The answer is yes - luckily she loves the pasta at amiconi's so was delighted when I suggested we go there a lot more often.

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Cool story Hansel.

Thanks for posting.

Does Bontempelli seem a relaxed or intense type of guy?
    Good question - he actually seemed quite relaxed. Was dressed pretty casual, ordered a highly tailored item off the menu (not sure what but spent a long time talking to the waiter about making some changes), and speaks in a very soft manner, not dissimilar to a Jack Macrae.

I got a sense that he has a lot of respect for Joel and was really absorbing everything Joel offered.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wimberga View Post
    The answer is yes - luckily she loves the pasta at amiconi's so was delighted when I suggested we go there a lot more often.

Good question - he actually seemed quite relaxed. Was dressed pretty casual, ordered a highly tailored item off the menu (not sure what but spent a long time talking to the waiter about making some changes), and speaks in a very soft manner, not dissimilar to a Jack Macrae.

I got a sense that he has a lot of respect for Joel and was really absorbing everything Joel offered.
    Thanks for that. He seems that way when you hear him in the media. Appears as though he has a good head on his shoulders.

Post Thanks / Like

It's great to see Bonti spending so much time with Corey. Corey was an A grade midfielder and passing on his knowledge will make a huge difference to Bonti. I bought some lunch recently at Barkers Cafe and saw them there eating lunch together, but didn't hear what they were talking about.
    Sit closer next time.

Thanks for that Wimberga.

See, he sat close enough.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

13. Thanks wimberga thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Sit closer next time.

Thanks for that Wimberga.

See, he sat close enough.
    The secret to not making it too awkward is pretending you are getting the waiters attention for a water refill, to ask for some parmesan, to turn the A/C down etc. leaves plenty of room for silence without seeming like a weird fan boy making these guys feel awkward.

And yeah I certainly agree- there was an article recently where Bont's mentioned Corey being a great influence on him. Although this was my only ever encounter with Corey - I am very glad he is at the club and taking an active mentoring role with our pups.

Post Thanks / Like

It's great to see Bonti spending so much time with Corey. Corey was an A grade midfielder and passing on his knowledge will make a huge difference to Bonti.
    Corey was also a much taller mid than most going around at the time so it's a good fit

Post Thanks / Like

Bonti mentioned once that he used to love Christmas Day because it meant he got to see his cousin (Nick Dal Santo) and just bombard him with questions about being an AFL footballer.

Seems a very driven young man.

Post Thanks / Like

If they are this close, best sign Corey for 15 years too.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

18. Likes azabob, Twodogs, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Bonti mentioned once that he used to love Christmas Day because it meant he got to see his cousin (Nick Dal Santo) and just bombard him with questions about being an AFL footballer.

Seems a very driven young man.
    Wonder if he was better than Dal Santo back then?!?

20. Likes 1eyedog liked this post