Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  35
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Team Round 1 vs WCE

News.Com has Crameri down as a certainty for selection.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/ste...-1227286631165

Haven't really thought through who makes way for him from the NAB Cup team which trashed the 'pies but Goodes, Honeychurch, Dickson, Grant & JJ seem to be the obvious suspects.

Hrovat and Stevens would be the other two putting pressure on for inclusion.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

I suspect Cordy may be a casualty of Crameri's inclusion. One tall forward too many.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand how a guy how has had zero match practice for over six months can suddenly play round 1.
    Doesn't really send the right signals to the other guys in the team that have been busting their rears through the NAB series to gain favour. So if your name is Crameri or Boyd you get automatic selection?
    Surely they should give him a game with Footscray and have him play the following week if he's right.
    Why expose him to the most demanding game of the season (jump in fitness level) with no practice games to get him up to that level. He will either by completely underdone and blowout, or he will get injured because his body isn't hasn't had any match practice.

I could only see someone like Dickson being dropped for Crameri, which is a shame because he was very good last week and deserves a game, I think he would be a handful for the WCE defenders.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd expect one of Grant or Dickson would make way for him given Crammers plays the high forward role quite well.
    I think Cordy won't play if we pick Boyd & Redpath as expected.

Stevens & Hrovat are the interesting ones for me.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    I don't understand how a guy how has had zero match practice for over six months can suddenly play round 1.
    Doesn't really send the right signals to the other guys in the team that have been busting their rears through the NAB series to gain favour. So if your name is Crameri or Boyd you get automatic selection?
    Surely they should give him a game with Footscray and have him play the following week if he's right.
    Why expose him to the most demanding game of the season (jump in fitness level) with no practice games to get him up to that level. He will either by completely underdone and blowout, or he will get injured because his body isn't hasn't had any match practice.

I could only see someone like Dickson being dropped for Crameri, which is a shame because he was very good last week and deserves a game, I think he would be a handful for the WCE defenders.
    Completely agree. I know he has done the whole pre-season - but as anyone who's played footy at any level knows - you really have to have played matches, to get that hardened match fitness. I don't care how much of a natural athlete Crameri is, you've got to have had a couple of hit outs where you are doing the match type of running, second efforts, being tackled and bumped - and even just getting your timing and feel for the game. I think if we were talking about a player type, in an area of the ground where we are seriously lacking - then it is maybe a different story (say Roughead in defence and playing against a tall forward line). But Crameri's role is similar to what Dickson, Stringer and Grant are bringing to the table - so I don't see the need to push him into the frame for round 1 to be as great.

Post Thanks / Like

He is one player out of the 22 surely we can take a risk? He is a top 10 player at the club, natural athlete and its not like he is coming off significant injury. He has trained the house down from all reports and deserves a spot round 1.

7. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Round 23 2014 - Who is gone or out for Season
    Ryan Griffen
    Matthew Boyd
    Robert Murphy
    Nathan Hrovat
    Liam Picken
    Daniel Giansiracusa
    Adam Cooney
    Jason Johannisen
    Jackson Macrae
    Thomas Liberatore
    Marcus Bontempelli
    Luke Dahlhaus
    Shaun Higgins
    Stewart Crameri
    Dale Morris
    Jake Stringer
    Will Minson
    Thomas Young
    Koby Stevens
    Tom Campbell
    Fletcher Roberts
    Mark Austin

6 players gone plus Libba out, so will be a very different team lining up for round one.

For me Crameri should play as we are very inexperienced, even though he is under done. Perhaps he can be the sub.

From the list above, Stevens, Hrovat, are under done, Campbell and Roberts are still not ready, and not sure on JJ after missing most of the game last week.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Crameri straight back in for mine. Yes he hasn't played any of the pre-season trials and is lacking that match fitness but this shouldn't impact his performance at this stage of the season. Maybe if he was coming back from a long term injury then yes bring him back through the VFL, but he is arguably one of our top 3 players (and best forward) and it is imperative that he is slotted in the forward line immediately. He will provide an important attacking option against the West Coast that will work well with Boyd, Redpath and Stringer.

Post Thanks / Like

For those that missed it. Good preview of the team for 2015:

https://youtu.be/RUd0Cse1aAA
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

11. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree with your sentiment. They might apply special consideration due to the nature of his absence (hasn't been injury) and team mates might be more accepting, especially since he was our leading goal kicker last season and probably in our best 8 players (he finished 8th in the B&F in 2014).

It doesn't have to be Dickson that goes out - I think he should be a lock for the small FP role given his preseason form. For example:

b: Morris, Roughead, Picken (revert back to more usual position)
    hb: Murphy, Talia, Wood
    c: Macrae, Wallis, Grant
    hf: Dahlhaus, Redpath, Crameri
    f: Stringer, T Boyd, Dickson
    r: Minson, Bontempelli, Jong
    i: M Boyd, JJ, Honeychurch, Hrovat (sub)
    e: Hamling, Goodes, Stevens

(Hamling omitted on the basis of Murphy's recent statement to the effect that there will only be three tall backs and if Morris is in the team, Morris is the third tall back - sorry can't find citation)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    Agree with your sentiment. They might apply special consideration due to the nature of his absence (hasn't been injury) and team mates might be more accepting, especially since he was our leading goal kicker last season and probably in our best 8 players.

It doesn't have to be Dickson that goes out - I think he should be a lock for the small FP role given his preseason form. For example:

b: Morris, Roughead, Picken (revert back to more usual position)
    hb: Murphy, Talia, Wood
    c: Macrae, Wallis, Grant
    hf: Dahlhaus, Redpath, Crameri
    f: Stringer, T Boyd, Dickson
    r: Minson, Bontempelli, Jong
    i: M Boyd, JJ, Honeychurch, Hrovat (sub)
    e: Hamling, Goodes, Stevens

(Hamling omitted on the basis of Murphy's recent statement to the effect that there will only be three tall backs and if Morris is in the team, Morris is the third tall back - sorry can't find citation)
    Just cannot see Picken going back to small defender, when he has been trialled almost exclusively forward and his contribution has been probably looking the best of his career.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Just cannot see Picken going back to small defender, when he has been trialled almost exclusively forward and his contribution has been probably looking the best of his career.

He seemed to get a number of his kicks in the backline against Collingwood.

Post Thanks / Like

Fair enough - another variation would be Picken to FP/mid rotation, JJ to back pocket, Dickson bench/forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Also, while Picken has shown, in typical fashion, that he adapts readily enough to playing an effective forward role (with a defensive emphasis), he has been great in the past in defence (bar a slow start to 2013) and as a midfield tagger.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    Still pretty ambiguous, you could argue Morris isn't really a tall these days
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff