Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  35
Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Team Round 1 vs WCE

Not JJ I think he needs to work his way into a game. He's not the type of player to come on and make an immediate impact. Hrovat, Honeychurch and Daniel are.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Not JJ I think he needs to work his way into a game. He's not the type of player to come on and make an immediate impact. Hrovat, Honeychurch and Daniel are.
    Could Goodes be a candidate for the sub role?

Post Thanks / Like

My final effort before round 1.

B: Morris, Roughead, Wood
    HB: Murphy, Talia, Johannisen
    C: Dahlhaus, Honeychurch, Macrae
    HF: Grant, Redpath, Stringer
    F: Dickson, T Boyd, Picken
    R: Minson, Bontempelli, Jong
    I/C: M Boyd, Hamling, Wallis, Goodes (sub)

Unluckies:
    Cordy (must be close to selection)
    Daniel (as above)
    Hrovat (another week in the VFL, perhaps)
    Hunter (not in line for round 1, but should be back shortly)
    Stevens (unsure exactly where he's at, but given didn't play against Collingwood, I haven't selected him)
    Darley (another who is close, and could come in if his VFL form is solid early)
    Crameri (unknown, but even if free to play, think a VFL game might be the go first)

Post Thanks / Like

B: Morris, Roughead, Hamling
    HB: Murphy, Talia, Wood
    C: Dahlhaus, Wallis, Macrae
    HF: Grant, Redpath, Crameri
    F: Dickson, T Boyd, Stringer
    I/C: M.Boyd, Picken, JJ
    Sub: Honeychurch

I think Crameri is still in our best 22 even without playing. His fitness is strong and offers our forward line flexibility. If he is suspended, I would bring in Goodes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Who are the likely candidates for the sub role against West Coast?
    I fear it could be Grant but I'm suspecting Luke is smarter than that. The kid is a confidence player its so obvious he desevres a spot in the starting line up for mine and I have my fingers crossed!

I'd say Honey at this stage with Stevens and Goodes fighting for the final spot in the midfield. I read on bigfooty that Stevens was excellent yesterday so would have to be a close call between the two.

Post Thanks / Like

Following on from my last post (I hope this is consistent), I am going with the premise that Bevo has to stick with the winning team.

b: Morris, Roughead, Hamling
    hb: Murphy, Talia, Wood
    c: Dahlhaus, Wallis, Macrae
    hf: Grant, Redpath, Picken
    f: Dickson, T Boyd, Stringer
    r: Minson, Bontempelli, Jong
    i: M Boyd, Honeychurch, Johannisen, Daniel (sub)
    e: Goodes, A Cordy, Stevens

JJ perhaps lucky to pip Goodes but he gives us a pacey option off the bench.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, and this year it looks like we have a spine!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    Following on from my last post (I hope this is consistent), I am going with the premise that Bevo has to stick with the winning team.

b: Morris, Roughead, Hamling
    hb: Murphy, Talia, Wood
    c: Dahlhaus, Wallis, Macrae
    hf: Grant, Redpath, Picken
    f: Dickson, T Boyd, Stringer
    r: Minson, Bontempelli, Jong
    i: M Boyd, Honeychurch, Johannisen, Daniel (sub)
    e: Goodes, A Cordy, Stevens

As good as Daniel has been for a debutant do you think he will be ahead of Hrovat and Hunter in the pecking order? I think that the Rat will get a call up for the 1st game especially since, as reported, he had a good game yesterday.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Wood might be a good sub for the game. I'd like to see a genuine runner start off the HBF. As the game slows, his big frame, run and long kicking could be more valuable.

Smith, Crameri & Hrovat coming into some above (and Libba next year). The future is bright, but the season is long. But I hope we are given a ride this year as members.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    As good as Daniel has been for a debutant do you think he will be ahead of Hrovat and Hunter in the pecking order? I think that the Rat will get a call up for the 1st game especially since, as reported, he had a good game yesterday.
    Fair enough, WTLF, I was sticking with the premise that players in the successful NAB Cup match against Coll will have to be displaced. But that is not the only way to approach picking the side and I am reading reports that Hrovat and Stevens were good yesterday. I am a big wrap for Hrovat in particular. I thought Daniel was close to sensational in the quarter and a bit that he played against the pies. I reckon he is going to be one of the biggest stars going round within 3 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is my attempt after watching the NAB games and reading the review of the Footscray game.

B: Morris, Roughead, Wood
    HB: Murphy, Hamling, M. Boyd
    C: Dahlhaus, Wallis, Macrae
    HF: Grant, Redpath, Picken
    F: Dickson, T Boyd, Stringer
    I/C: Stevens, Goodes, Cordy
    Sub: Hrovat

I think we will need Stevens' battle hardened body in the midfield. Hrovat if fit is ahead of Honeychurch and Daniel. I have to admit I am not convinced by Honeychurch just yet. I think he will make it, but at the moment it is all desperation and no polish. The controversial pick is Cordy. I believe he has shown enough in the pre-season to prove his value around the ground. He is starting to take marks and he is very clean below his knees and with the ball in hand. Plus he has shown he can go back or forward. Talia reads the play well but he really struggles when the ball is on the ground. Roughead and Tamling have shown they are very good against the high ball and the mids will need to make sure they don't allow the opposition time to hit up leading targets. if we need more height coverage down back during the game then Stringer, Redpath and Cordy should be able to provide it between them. JJ is a little unlucky, but I think we have the run from defence covered without him and he needs to start hitting more targets.

I am assuming Crameri will not play due to the ASADA decision or lack of match fitness.
    Last edited by Before I Die; 29-03-2015 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Forgot Goodes
    The Angels have the phone box. Don't blink!

Post Thanks / Like

Talia's a bit stiff not to be selected BID. I think we need to give either him or Roberts a decent run at senior selections this year
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I just had a look at the WCE supporters blog and the AFL Season Preview article on WCE. There appears to be only 2 talls in their forward line, Lycett and Kennedy. Their supporters tend to go with playing 3 tall backs, Brown, McGovern & Schofield. Perhaps this is in recognition of the fact we have three tall marking forwards in Tom Boyd, Redpath and Stringer. However, they may switch one of these three to a key forward spot as NicNat has had a restricted preseason and will most likely need help from Lycett, changing in the forward pocket.

This opens up the issue of whether both Hamling & Talia are selected, especially since Darling will not play. If WCE go with, say, CHF: McGovern, FF: Kennedy, FP: Lycett (changing with Naitanui), can we go back to Morris as the third tall or do we include both Hamling and Talia?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Talia's a bit stiff not to be selected BID. I think we need to give either him or Roberts a decent run at senior selections this year
    I agree that we need to give someone a decent run at CHB. At the moment, for me, that someone is Hamling. Though I think it is more likely that the MC will select Talia and not Cordy. If I was making the decision I would reward Cordy's pre-season form.
    The Angels have the phone box. Don't blink!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Before I Die View Post
    I agree that we need to give someone a decent run at CHB. At the moment, for me, that someone is Hamling. Though I think it is more likely that the MC will select Talia and not Cordy. If I was making the decision I would reward Cordy's pre-season form.
    I don't believe Hamling is a KPP at this stage. He just doesn't have the body strength. I can see both Talia and Hamling playing.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.