Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  35
Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Team Round 1 vs WCE

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Wood was literally the worst one on one defender in the comp last year. Like literally the worst. I agree he has value to the team but not as a one on one defender. Hopefully the inclusion of Hamling (as in, hopefully he is included) pushes everyone down a place in the height queue, but if things remain the same as last year I'm not too bullish on Wood's standing.
    Do you have any stat that supports that point.

Even then I would like a bit of a breakdown.
    Wood was actually asked to play a lot as a substitute tall defender.

The last player of his stature that could consistently do that was Steve Kretiuk. The tall forwards also weren't as tall then.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Wood was literally the worst one on one defender in the comp last year. Like literally the worst. I agree he has value to the team but not as a one on one defender. Hopefully the inclusion of Hamling (as in, hopefully he is included) pushes everyone down a place in the height queue, but if things remain the same as last year I'm not too bullish on Wood's standing.
    Absolute crap, I'm afraid. He wouldn't even be the worst in the team.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Do you have any stat that supports that point.

Even then I would like a bit of a breakdown.
    Wood was actually asked to play a lot as a substitute tall defender.

The last player of his stature that could consistently do that was Steve Kretiuk. The tall forwards also weren't as tall then.
    I've seen the same stats. Wood lost 35% of all one on one contest which was the highest in the AFL, I'll see if i can dig it up. He was a defensive liability last year in a team that was terrible at defending. Reports from preseason indicate he struggling badly again this year.

Roughead was right up there on the list as well, but I'd cut him some slack given the shoulder problems he had.

I'd like to see Morris playing on the midsized/3rd tall forward and we play a genuine rebounding defender like Biggs or Darley instead of Wood.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

4. Thanks Happy Days thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    I've seen the same stats. Wood lost 35% of all one on one contest which was the highest in the AFL, I'll see if i can dig it up. He was a defensive liability last year in a team that was terrible at defending. Reports from preseason indicate he struggling badly again this year.

Roughead was right up there on the list as well, but I'd cut him some slack given the shoulder problems he had.

I'd like to see Morris playing on the midsized/3rd tall forward and we play a genuine rebounding defender like Biggs or Darley instead of Wood.
    Wood was playing well outside of his height/weight division (ditto Morris) so that has to be taken into context.

Many of us have argued long and hard about our lack of KPD options - we may just have to grit out teeth, throw Talia in there and hope that we can give him enough support with team zones to be able to avoid having him one-out with opponents too often.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Would be interested in seeing those stats. Perhaps I'm losing the plot but if true those stats are completely at odds with my own observations last year. I'm more than comfortable with Wood in our side whether that be in defence or on the wing.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep this is what I was talking about.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

I thought he had a mixed year in which he battled manfully whilst undersized in some cases, but was of little value with ball in hand and weak in defence in other cases.

It's a make or break year for Easton.

Post Thanks / Like

The trouble with Wood from the day he started playing, is he doesn't have the ability to accumulate possessions. He needs to be able to get the ball and use it well running off HBF. He has also been unfairly pitted against taller opponents, but otherwise I thought 2014 was his best year.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    Absolute crap, I'm afraid. He wouldn't even be the worst in the team.
    Not really man.

I think Easton can still add value, but not as he "did" last year. His best football (that one game against Collingwood where he did his hamstring) has been as a running defender, something we are in need of. Perhaps even a move up the ground could work. Just no more key defending, battling manfully or not.

FFS Aaron Black killed him; Aaron Black!
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Not really man.

I think Easton can still add value, but not as he "did" last year. His best football (that one game against Collingwood where he did his hamstring) has been as a running defender, something we are in need of. Perhaps even a move up the ground could work. Just no more key defending, battling manfully or not.

FFS Aaron Black killed him; Aaron Black!
    Again, playing on opposition players not suited to him. Aaron Black has played his entire life as a KPP and is 8cm taller than Wood. If the ball comes down on top of them who is going to 80% of the time, mark it? I think many of us on here have played on bigger guys and 3 - 4 inches when the ball is in the air makes a hell of a lot of difference, not just in height but in arm reach as well, no matter how athletic you are. Easton Wood made some mistakes last year but he did a hell of a lot of things right too. I see steady improvement.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

12. Likes bornadog, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

WIN-LOSS DIFFERENTIAL IN ONE-ON-ONE CONTESTS: 2014

THE WORST DEFENDERS

Kyle Cheney (Hawthorn) -27.5 per cent

Easton Wood (Western Bulldogs) -26.7 per cent

Zac Dawson (Fremantle) -15.2 per cent

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1226978113033

This might be what you have been looking for guys.

14. Thanks bornadog, 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post

THE WORST DEFENDERS

Is there a stat for defenders who fell over? Unlike many defenders in the competition Wood has the potential to be best on ground and can seriously influence a game. We've only seen it a few times but the potential is there. If he does the basics right and builds confidence and if Talia (or someone else) can help him out this year he'll be a regular fixture in the side.

Has he even played 50 games yet?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Is there a stat for defenders who fell over? Unlike many defenders in the competition Wood has the potential to be best on ground and can seriously influence a game. We've only seen it a few times but the potential is there. If he does the basics right and builds confidence and if Talia (or someone else) can help him out this year he'll be a regular fixture in the side.

He's a free agent at years end, so he's been around for a while.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

THE WORST DEFENDERS

The problem with this as a raw stat is that it provides no insight into the type of contest.

Cheney was used by Hawthorn as an undersized tall and squaring a contest would have been a great result. We did much the same with Wood.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

That was published mid year in July

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff