Re: Team Round 1 vs WCE

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    WIN-LOSS DIFFERENTIAL IN ONE-ON-ONE CONTESTS: 2014

THE WORST DEFENDERS

Kyle Cheney (Hawthorn) -27.5 per cent

Easton Wood (Western Bulldogs) -26.7 per cent

Zac Dawson (Fremantle) -15.2 per cent

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1226978113033

This might be what you have been looking for guys.
    Cheney and Wood. Not surprising really two under-sized guys player key position roles.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

2. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    It's not a slap, Wood is still in the team and with 120 rotations a game it's not like he's warming the bench for any long time. We need to invest in Biggs for the long term and Wood might be a handy swing man or go back if Biggs is getting beaten, who knows. He's in the 22, not sure why Biggs hair is more relevant than his good preseason feedback though.
    His hair being neat was merely an analogy for his preseason form, which I would also suggest has been neat. Do we need to invest in Wood as well or not as much do you think?
    Have you seen any of Biggs' 3 games for the Swans? What impressed you most from those 3 matches that put him in front of Wood? Serious question I'm interested in finding out more about him.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Not really man.

I think Easton can still add value, but not as he "did" last year. His best football (that one game against Collingwood where he did his hamstring) has been as a running defender, something we are in need of. Perhaps even a move up the ground could work. Just no more key defending, battling manfully or not.

FFS Aaron Black killed him; Aaron Black!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    WIN-LOSS DIFFERENTIAL IN ONE-ON-ONE CONTESTS: 2014

THE WORST DEFENDERS

Kyle Cheney (Hawthorn) -27.5 per cent

Easton Wood (Western Bulldogs) -26.7 per cent

Zac Dawson (Fremantle) -15.2 per cent

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1226978113033

This might be what you have been looking for guys.
    You've taken one single stat, given totally without context and -- what's more -- it's a percentage stat rather than a total or average; you've used that one singular statistic to label Wood the competition's worst one on one defender. If he's ill-matched for height or speed, that's one thing, but also consider the speed at which our midfield allowed the ball to fly down to the defending 50 last year and suddenly it paints a different picture. If we're not putting pressure on the ball coming from the centre, Wood (and all our defenders, really) find themselves a) trying to spoil a perfectly targeted pass with no team mates nearby to back him up b) having to put in extra to get to the additional contests and cover the extra traffic and c) unable to effectively dispose of the ball even if they do win the contest.

I think you need more than a win-loss differential to label him the competition's worst one on one defender, so I'm sticking by my original post: it's crap. I'll take out the absolute but it's still pretty smelly.

5. Likes always right liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    His hair being neat was merely an analogy for his preseason form, which I would also suggest has been neat. Do we need to invest in Wood as well or not as much do you think?
    Have you seen any of Biggs' 3 games for the Swans? What impressed you most from those 3 matches that put him in front of Wood? Serious question I'm interested in finding out more about him.
    The most attention I've paid was obviously when he played us and I was impressed. He's been on the rookie list and forced his way into a strong Sydney side. He's a very good size and weight. He can get his own footy, but get good outside footy and kicks more than he handballs. A part from the 'vibe' of a few looks and preseason reports my view on his stats are this:

His racking up 17 possies a game already, more kicks. He's getting good rebound and inside 50 numbers too. He also is averaging 4 tackles a game. His stat issue is disposal efficiency.

With more game time, and more time in an elite environment as a full listed player will help to no end. More training aand more experience should assist in his disposal efficiency as he gets the tempo. He play good defence (see our game) but also can be damaging the other way which is in his stats. He's got good size and is a more rebounding half back than what Wood has been forced to play. I see a role for Wood which is why he's in my starting 22 for the season. Biggs has a fair bit of improvement in my view and I'd like to fast track that, if he's getting beaten he can play other roles and Wood or others can go back. Of all the lower trades or delistees, Biggs is my pick to make it.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I am not saying that I would put Biggs in front of Wood. It is a nice problem to have. They appear to be slightly different sorts of players. Wood is physically stronger. He became more of your shoulder-to-shoulder stopper in 2014 but I think he still offers rebounding skills. Biggs is in fact more like Captain Bob Murphy as a player.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta say bit of tough love on Wood on here.
    He's played undersized in an ordinary back 6 .
    Thought he was reasonably good last season, and if he can improve his kicking and decision making, he'd be valuable.
    His composure improved last season, as did the less kamikaze acts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    I am not saying that I would put Biggs in front of Wood. It is a nice problem to have. They appear to be slightly different sorts of players. Wood is physically stronger. He became more of your shoulder-to-shoulder stopper in 2014 but I think he still offers rebounding skills. Biggs is in fact more like Captain Bob Murphy as a player.
    Sydney fan I work with was shocked they allowed Biggs to leave .
    With Melcheski departed and Shaw nearing the end it seemed a surprising decision

10. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    With Melcheski departed and Shaw nearing the end it seemed a surprising decision
    Well Remi, we got Ronnie Biggs and a Jarman for the Cooney trade. Who knows, maybe this will be one deal where we finish way in front on the ledger. That would be nice.

12. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Didn't they need to simply make room.

They weren't able to retain Biggs as a rookie on the 3 year rule, but they also had a couple of academy players coming on to the list.

Even the departure of Malceski was caused by this as well as the salary cap pressure due to the Buddy and Tippett deals.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Didn't they need to simply make room.

They weren't able to retain Biggs as a rookie on the 3 year rule, but they also had a couple of academy players coming on to the list.

Even the departure of Malceski was caused by this as well as the salary cap pressure due to the Buddy and Tippett deals.
    Certainly, they unloaded Biggs for a pick upgrade. That's a room-on-the-list making move. It would be interesting to review their trade/draft activity to get the full picture. If they didn't have room to promote him, then they would have lost him I think if he had renominated in the rookie draft or more probably before that in the ND. It's a chess game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    Certainly, they unloaded Biggs for a pick upgrade. That's a room-on-the-list making move. It would be interesting to review their trade/draft activity to get the full picture. If they didn't have room to promote him, then they would have lost him I think if he had renominated in the rookie draft or more probably before that in the ND. It's a chess game.
    We were always going to take him.
    If not for the trade we would have just added him as a delisted free agent.
    The trade was simply about us showing "good faith" with Sydney.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    We were always going to take him.
    If not for the trade we would have just added him as a delisted free agent.
    The trade was simply about us showing "good faith" with Sydney.
    Good point - I had forgotten the DFA period before the ND. Since we rated him, it worked for us as he may have gone elsewhere in the DFA, who knows?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    You've taken one single stat, given totally without context and -- what's more -- it's a percentage stat rather than a total or average; you've used that one singular statistic to label Wood the competition's worst one on one defender. If he's ill-matched for height or speed, that's one thing, but also consider the speed at which our midfield allowed the ball to fly down to the defending 50 last year and suddenly it paints a different picture. If we're not putting pressure on the ball coming from the centre, Wood (and all our defenders, really) find themselves a) trying to spoil a perfectly targeted pass with no team mates nearby to back him up b) having to put in extra to get to the additional contests and cover the extra traffic and c) unable to effectively dispose of the ball even if they do win the contest.

I think you need more than a win-loss differential to label him the competition's worst one on one defender, so I'm sticking by my original post: it's crap. I'll take out the absolute but it's still pretty smelly.
    So you were content with his work last year as an undersized third tall?

I think we're all agreeing with each other here in that he can't play on big guys.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    The most attention I've paid was obviously when he played us and I was impressed. He's been on the rookie list and forced his way into a strong Sydney side. He's a very good size and weight. He can get his own footy, but get good outside footy and kicks more than he handballs. A part from the 'vibe' of a few looks and preseason reports my view on his stats are this:

His racking up 17 possies a game already, more kicks. He's getting good rebound and inside 50 numbers too. He also is averaging 4 tackles a game. His stat issue is disposal efficiency.

With more game time, and more time in an elite environment as a full listed player will help to no end. More training aand more experience should assist in his disposal efficiency as he gets the tempo. He play good defence (see our game) but also can be damaging the other way which is in his stats. He's got good size and is a more rebounding half back than what Wood has been forced to play. I see a role for Wood which is why he's in my starting 22 for the season. Biggs has a fair bit of improvement in my view and I'd like to fast track that, if he's getting beaten he can play other roles and Wood or others can go back. Of all the lower trades or delistees, Biggs is my pick to make it.
    It's interesting that Sydney let him go. I'm not sure if I'm sold on letting good players go or players with heaps of potential for that matter. Sydney are better than most at identifying talent but I do I understand that Sydney were squeezed and Biggs may have requested us for more opportunities, similar to Hamling and Geelong's big man dilemma down the road. It would be great if you're right and I hope you are.

Where would you play Wood coming off the bench?

Post Thanks / Like

It's interesting that Sydney let him go. I'm not sure if I'm sold on letting good players go or players with heaps of potential for that matter. Sydney are better than most at identifying talent but I do I understand that Sydney were squeezed and Biggs may have requested us for more opportunities, similar to Hamling and Geelong's big man dilemma down the road. It would be great if you're right and I hope you are.

Where would you play Wood coming off the bench?
    I would like him to be a more pure utility with ability to play back, defensive forward or where the game needs him. Rotations start almost immediately now so I don't think the bench is a bad thing or slur on him. He's a good size and long kick maybe more centre and forward. He's a big body so having him around the play is good, I just prefer a rebounding flanker like Biggs.

As for Biggs Sydney wanted to keep him but we obviously made a good offer. They had potential guns like Mitchell not getting a game so the squeeze was on. His stats indicate rebounding, inside 50's, kicking more than handballing and tackling. Great stats for a rookie in a top side. Hamling was delisted, but Sydney actually wanted to keep Biggs.

We will soon find out!
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

20. Likes 1eyedog liked this post