Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs set to double its poker machine numbers ahead of equalisation talks

THE Western Bulldogs will almost double the number of poker machines it operates at The Peninsula Club, as the AFL says it is still working through whether gaming revenue will be included in an equalisation rich tax.

The Dogs’ application to increase the number of machines at the Dromana venue from 20 to 38 was granted by the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation late last month.

The Western Bulldogs will now have 63 machines in operation — 25 at its Club Leeds venue in Footscray — still a long way short of pokies giant Carlton, which has 290 machines that generated $19.7 million in revenue last year.

The Dogs have 70 further machines waiting to be deployed at the trouble-plagued Edgewater development in Maribyrnong, which the club hopes to have completed before the start of next season.

According to last year’s community benefit statements, the Western Bulldogs were the only Melbourne-based AFL club to use any of their gaming revenue on the prevention and treatment of problem gambling.

The 1466 machines run by nine Victorian AFL clubs generated more than $100m in revenue.

AFL boss Andrew Demetriou said whether gaming money would be included in the revenue tax that will come into force next year as part of the league’s equalisation measures “hasn’t been finalised yet”.

Demetriou said the AFL neither “encouraged or discouraged” clubs from being part of the pokies industry, but said it was good that the Western Bulldogs were able to “bridge the gap between them and some of the larger clubs.

“It is entirely a decision for clubs, the AFL’s position has been very clear — we don’t advance monies for clubs to buy poker machines, it is entirely a decision for their boards,” Demetriou said.

“We don’t encourage or discourage them — it is another source of revenue for the clubs.

“Some of our larger clubs have a large number of machines and they are generating significant revenues from those.

“The Bulldogs have been working on their Edgewater project for four or five years, so to get a return on that investment I think is important.”

Western Bulldogs president Peter Gordon said the $30 million Edgewater development was “the biggest commercial venture in the club’s history and hopefully will add significantly to our capacity to service club members and grow our revenue base”.

Edgewater, which will include a four-storey hotel, bistro, cafe and conference facilities in addition to a pokies lounge, has been plagued by problems since the Maribyrnong City Council initially rejected the developer’s planning permit application in 2008, bringing on a six-week stoush at VCAT.

In a letter to members late last year, Gordon said “the club has faced a myriad of planning, legal, financial and securitising issues over the past two years.

“Much of the detail of these issues remains subject to an enduring obligation of confidentiality on the part of the club as a consequence of an agreement made by the club in June 2011.

“At the end of 2012, Edgewater was marooned in a position in which considerable risks were involved both in proceeding and not proceeding.

“And while I am frustrated that we are legally bound not to go into some of the detail, we have this year substantially ‘de-risked’ the construction phase of the project for the club and I regard this as one of the more important achievements of the club in the last 10 years.”

Link
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs set to double its poker machine numbers ahead of equalisation talks

How does Peter juggle everything? Peter coming back is a dead set god send. I hope as a part of equalisation we can get some cash to repay personal loans back.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs set to double its poker machine numbers ahead of equalisation talks

If Carlton get $19.7 Million from 290 machines; my maths tells me we will get (on average) $4.3 Million from 63 machines.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    How does Peter juggle everything? Peter coming back is a dead set god send. I hope as a part of equalisation we can get some cash to repay personal loans back.
    I have heard Peter say he hates the way clubs have to rely on pokies for funds. I guess if you can't beat them join them.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I have heard Peter say he hates the way clubs have to rely on pokies for funds. I guess if you can't beat them join them.
    I think I agree equally with both of those sentences in the current environment.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I personally hate the way everyone relies on these things. Can't say I'm pleased with getting money this way but as you said. If you can't beat 'em....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    If Carlton get $19.7 Million from 290 machines; my maths tells me we will get (on average) $4.3 Million from 63 machines.
    Your maths are excellent! Actually the 2012/13 figures for the 30 machines at Club Leeds are $3,169,642.03 and the 20 machines at the Peninsula Club $1,177,042.37. Of course these aren't profits as this does not take into the operating and interest expenses (wages, lease costs at Club Leeds, interest costs for the Peninsula Club etc) that are incurred in generating these figures.

http://www.vcgr.vic.gov.au/CA2570C30...90082F8EA?Open

http://www.vcgr.vic.gov.au/CA2570C30...90082F99C?Open

Post Thanks / Like

It's a shame clubs revert to targeting addictive personality types and lower socio-economic groups to make their money. I know not 100% of poker machine users are in this class, but a high percentage are.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    It's a shame clubs revert to targeting addictive personality types and lower socio-economic groups to make their money. I know not 100% of poker machine users are in this class, but a high percentage are.
    I don't believe clubs are deliberately targeting addictive personalities, but I understand what you are saying ... BUT if it comes to a choice of my club's continued existence in the AFL or adding more opportunity for someone to fulfil their addiction, I'll choose my club every time.

It's a sad state of affairs, but if we took North's moral stance and did not house these machines we would be relying on greater AFL hand-outs for the remainder of our years (limited once Andrew D leaves) or our club would be relocated interstate. We cannot pass the opportunity to relinquish $4Million.

Once Edgewater is up and running, maybe we can re-examine our moral stance then.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

we would be relying on greater AFL hand-outs for the remainder of our years (limited once Andrew D leaves) or our club would be relocated interstate. We cannot pass the opportunity to relinquish $4Million.

Once Edgewater is up and running, maybe we can re-examine our moral stance then.
    Slightly off topic, I heard Peter Gordon on the radio talking about Gillon McLachlan. He was invited to the VU Whitten Oval recently and Gillon fully supports what the Dogs have done out there and supports pushing the club to expand in the Western Suburbs. Peter said he had his vote to become the next CEO.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't believe clubs are deliberately targeting addictive personalities, but I understand what you are saying ... BUT if it comes to a choice of my club's continued existence in the AFL or adding more opportunity for someone to fulfil their addiction, I'll choose my club every time.

It's a sad state of affairs, but if we took North's moral stance and did not house these machines we would be relying on greater AFL hand-outs for the remainder of our years (limited once Andrew D leaves) or our club would be relocated interstate. We cannot pass the opportunity to relinquish $4Million.

Fair enough the club needs to survive and I'm a realist in today's society and want a football club to support no doubt. Perhaps targeting is a strong word but there's so much data around on who uses poker machines and what the effects of them are. They certainly don't make their money from the good Friday night out crowd they get it from their regulars, there every day. I've seen so many sad gambling stories through my mother in laws work that it just sits uneasy for me. I wish there were other options.

Post Thanks / Like

Fair enough the club needs to survive and I'm a realist in today's society and want a football club to support no doubt. Perhaps targeting is a strong word but there's so much data around on who uses poker machines and what the effects of them are. They certainly don't make their money from the good Friday night out crowd they get it from their regulars, there every day. I've seen so many sad gambling stories through my mother in laws work that it just sits uneasy for me. I wish there were other options.
    Agreed ... Hopefully Edgewater allows us this luxury.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Good comments.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I actually admire North for their stance. Hate them in every other way, but on pokies they are competition-leading. Morals can't be a question of whether you can afford them. You either do the morally right thing or you don't. Given our background and our major demographic, I'd be asking the club to put a medium-to-long term plan in place to phase them out.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed ... Hopefully Edgewater allows us this luxury.
    Edegewater means there will be even more pokies. 70 more machines just sitting around waiting to be plugged in.
    The curse is dead.