Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Veteran Dog wants to play on for five more years

Great news. Will be great to have Dale around for our next crack at the pointy end of the ladder!

Link

Dale Morris.jpg

WESTERN Bulldogs veteran Dale Morris insists there is plenty good footy left in him, revealing he's aiming to play for at least another five years.

The 31-year-old defender has returned to his brilliant best so far in 2014, restricting the influence of superstar forwards Jack Riewoldt and Josh Kennedy in the first three rounds of the year.

And there have been no lingering effects of a badly broken leg he sustained late in 2011.

"The body feels great, better than this time last year," Morris said.

"I feel like I've got plenty of good footy left in me, how much that is I don't know but I'm hoping five, six, seven years … you never know.

"But at my age you need to take it one year at a time."

And his secret for feeling so fresh is simple.

"I hang around all the young guys and I try to keep young by letting them rub off on me,” Morris said.

Morris will need every bit of that youthfulness on Saturday afternoon when he lines up against GWS young guns Jeremy Cameron and Jonathon Patton.

"They are a very, very talented team,” Morris said of the Giants.

“They have a very potent forward line and their midfield has a heap of talent too."

The task of containing the twin towers has been made harder in the absence of Jordan Roughead, who has a serious shoulder injury, but Morris has faith in Tom Williams and Tom Young to cover his absence.

"The last few teams we've come against have had a real tall forward line and we've coped pretty well, so we're expecting the same,” he said

"There's guys there ready to go, which is great, and that puts pressure on spots and good competition around the club.”

An unrestricted free agent at season's end, Morris has no intention of finishing his career anywhere but the Whitten Oval.

"The Dogs gave me a chance to play AFL footy and everything they've done for me and my family over the years has been unbelievable," Morris said.

“I would love to stay with the Doggies for my whole career and that's the plan, so hopefully it stays that way."

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Veteran Dog wants to play on for five more years

Love to have Dale for 5 more years, but reality is it won't happen. When athletes reach a certain age, its all down hill from there.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Love to have Dale for 5 more years, but reality is it won't happen. When athletes reach a certain age, its all down hill from there.
    Whilst this is generally the norm how do you explain the high level of output from the likes of Brent Harvey & Dustin Fletcher?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    There's always exceptions to the rule: Dustin Fletcher, Brent Harvey, etc. Of course the odds are against him but barring serious injury he can go for a another 2 or 3 years at least I would have thought.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool, Dale for another 5 years. Maybe if he turns swing-man he can be a super sub to ice matches at either end of games come 2017.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Nooooooooooooo!

As soon as there is a headline like that, they're goners. Up yours Mr. Davidson.

Post Thanks / Like

Dale did start AFL quite late..I guess it's not impossible that his body is younger than the norm. I hate the idea of him ever retiring so I want to believe it! He's having a good year so far...
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Take it one week, one season at a time and keep reviewing. He has a couple of things on his side namely he plays a single position, which is largely a one way position and hence you would think the stress on his body is not the same as asay a midfielder who get s hit from all angles or a forward who has to turn to goal. He also has been pretty lucky with injuries (2011 aside) so I could see him getting a few more years out of his body, 5 may be pushing it though.

Post Thanks / Like

What a beauty Dale is. Although 5 years is a stretch, on current form another two looks likely.
    In saying that players can fall off the cliff quickly when over 30.

Post Thanks / Like

Good bloke that Dale Morris

Post Thanks / Like

Only 5? Dale can stay as long as he wants, IMO.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Only 5? Dale can stay as long as he wants, IMO.
    This.

Post Thanks / Like

What a great player and team mate Dale is. Would be great to see him play on forever, some of his efforts last week were huge.

We're very lucky to have seen him play and will be in the future too, a true inspiration.

Post Thanks / Like

Bastard journos!

Post Thanks / Like

According to Mark Stevens Dale is going to be out for long time. Going for scans today. Could be a broken leg. Not sure.