Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Match Committee - Round 5 vs Carlton

In: Dahlhaus, Dickson.
    Out: Stringer, Jong.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

Hunter is really important to us, I would only consider dropping him if Dahlhaus is back. Not sure whether they will drop Stringer or allow him to continue to develop at AFL level, he was a due a spell in the VFL weeks ago. Perhaps Dickson or Cordy need to put their hands up again today
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Why Hunter - form, attitude or a rest? I like him, I think every time he has the footy something will happen.
    Form/ rest - Tapered off the last few weeks.. By no means has he been terrible, but a spell will do no harm.. If Dahlhaus doesn't come up maybe Hunter can be used as the sub next week.

Post Thanks / Like

Out: Morris
    In: Talia

I'd leave Stringer in. Make him work at it at the higher level. I don't see what he'd gain by going back to the VFL and getting bags of goals, it seems counter-intuitive.

I'd like to see Cordy or Campbell back in, but don't see an out for them.

Post Thanks / Like

In Talia, Dahl,
    Out Morris (inj)tough one either Tutt or Jong

Post Thanks / Like

No change unless there is an injury.

Out: Morris if injured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    No change unless there is an injury.

Out: Morris if injured
    ^^^^^^
    This. I don't like flirting with the formula and making changes to a winning team unless its absolutely necessary.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

OUT: Morris (inj), Stringer
    IN: Talia, Dickson

If Dahl is right he comes in.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Reports are that Cordy & Dickson struggled, maybe they will just work with Stringer through the week on his positioning in marking contests and keep him in.

Clay Smith can't be far away now can he?
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Last week I disagreed with calls for Stringer to be dropped. My view was that the more games we get into him, the better. I was also forgiving of his positioning against Richmond - our forward line can be hell to play in sometimes, there aren't that many beautifully weighted kicks which encourage hard leads. Unlike others I was pleased with his work rate, I saw him working very hard, just not getting to the right spots, and lacking a tank.

But I did feel this week there were signs that waning confidence is leading to him taking cheap short cuts hoping to get his name on the scoreboard. On that basis maybe he needs a rest.

So for me: out Morris If injured: Stringer for time to regain that strut.
    In: Dahl. Talia.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

no change
    Talia for Morris if injured
    If Dahlhaus is fit then Tutt or Gia make way
    I think Stringer needs to work through it.
    I'm paying money, the girl's happy, she's got no money, I got my rocks off, how good is this...

Post Thanks / Like

Could be no change this week, depending on Dale's ankle.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I have no issue with some young guns going back if needs be. I don't see it as a major issue, whether VFL or any level, when you dominate the confidence comes, successful traits are hopefully learned and an appreciation that an AFL selection requires even more than huge talent and pretty hard work. It's not all bad, Stringers quarter last year when he kicked for Wlliamstown was spectacular, that he couldn't (for example) do with that again isn't completely unreasonable. But Macca seems a contradiction at times, Grant and Talia playing twos, while Dahl was forced to play his way into form late last year in the AFL. It's hard to read sometimes, but he seems to be winning more of his player development strategies than losing.

I think we need another tall if a Dale is down, and I'm wanting to see Bonts sooner rather than later. If he's going to win the Rising Star he needs games!
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

We've seen Stringer drift up the ground at times....is it worth asking him to play tight as a HBF for a stint with Dale possibly out? Footy education and all that, plus solving a problem if it works.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    We've seen Stringer drift up the ground at times....is it worth asking him to play tight as a HBF for a stint with Dale possibly out? Footy education and all that, plus solving a problem if it works.
    It sounds tempting, but if you look at that goal he gifted to GWS when he made a mistake back there, it's just too risky. Not getting a goal, sure, but giving one up?

I'd keep him in for a few more games, let him work through it, but keep him up front. He is going to be a pivotal player for us in years to come, so if somebody has to sit out so he can gain development time, so be it. We're still coming out of a rebuild, guys.