Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  15
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

3rd Stadium in the city along with Etihad and the MCG

This got me thinking again after the thread on the proposal to play AFL games in Ballarat. If we are just going to use VUWO for Footscray VFL games and training and if the Show-grounds in Ascot Vale aren't going to be developed then where near the city could a new stadium be built that holds up to 35K for AFL games which don't draw big numbers. Ultimately as I've said we need a better stadium deal at Etihad but also somewhere near the city that is a bit smaller in capacity to host matches where we play say an interstate side. What are your thoughts on this?
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3rd Stadium in the city along with Etihad and the MCG

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    This got me thinking again after the thread on the proposal to play AFL games in Ballarat. If we are just going to use VUWO for Footscray VFL games and training and if the Show-grounds in Ascot Vale aren't going to be developed then where near the city could a new stadium be built that holds up to 35K for AFL games which don't draw big numbers. Ultimately as I've said we need a better stadium deal at Etihad but also somewhere near the city that is a bit smaller in capacity to host matches where we play say an interstate side. What are your thoughts on this?
    Nice lateral thinking Easty, but I can't see a business case or ROI for anyone stumping up the cash for this.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Nice lateral thinking Easty, but I can't see a business case or ROI for anyone stumping up the cash for this.
    Especially now that AAMI Park has been built, can Melbourne hold 4 major stadiums?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    Especially now that AAMI Park has been built, can Melbourne hold 4 major stadiums?
    Yep. Maybe in theory, but it would be a waste of money.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

There was talk of a boutique Melbourne Stadium around the North melbourne station, but I think it was being used as a scare to Eithad Management. We don't need another stadium, we need a better deal at Eithad.

Some talk last year here
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

AFL wont allow it considering they take full control of Etihad in 2025 - no way would they allow any competition
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

3rd Stadium for AFL matches in Melbourne

While its great to have the spiritual home the Whitten Oval up and running for the VFL for our AFL matches if we are not going to play some at WO could a 3rd stadium possible in the Showgrounds precinct could be an option to host these matches the draw smaller crowds. It would still be good as its in a central location for everyone. Do the AFL have plans possibly for a 3rd stadium in Melbourne. I sometimes ponder if they had of revamped Waverley and kept that along with Etihad and the MCG that could of been a viable option.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3rd Stadium for AFL matches in Melbourne

I remember years ago a proposal for us and Essendon to have a ground at the showgrounds.
    I think we were quite happy but Essendon pulled out of the deal.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

I would say Geelong would get it if it happened.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Why bump your own thread from 5 months ago on exactly the same subject when you can just start another one?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Agreed. Pointless having another.

Post Thanks / Like

Have the AFL still got this in my mind for the future? What do you reckon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Have the AFL still got this in my mind for the future? What do you reckon.
    No, the AFL needs to fill the Etihad game quota. Once the AFL owns it, the shoddy deals will be over and we won't need to play small games elsewhere
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    I remember years ago a proposal for us and Essendon to have a ground at the showgrounds.
    I think we were quite happy but Essendon pulled out of the deal.
    That's correct. I remember that. From memory North might've been briefly involved, too, but swiftly went down the MCG/Friday night game route instead and the whole thing eventually fizzled. Essendon were at the MCG within eight or so years. It made sense for them because they've always been the McDonalds of the VFL. They've been franchises in the east and the west for 140 years.

I have often thought back to it over the years... It would've been a winner in hindsight.