Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  34
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if I have the strength anymore...

I honestly don't.

Almost 30 years of following this club, through 7 prelim final defeats, fightback, the turmoil of 96 and the resulting name change, and the instability of the Peter Rhode era, and I saw it all through with a smile on my face.

Even last night, I was applauding Gordon's aggressive stance on Ryan Griffen's request for a trade, thinking to myself, 'thank god, we're finally putting our faith in the coach and a longer term plan'.

And now, before midday, its all gone to shit.

I'm now wondering what the club stands for.

I'm wondering whether the board is prepared to act in the longer term interest of the club.

I'm wondering how it gets to a stage where a disgruntled group of players can unceremoniously oust the coach.

I'm wondering whether the hard work put in by our recruiting staff, led by an on-fire Simon Dalrymple who has smashed the last two drafts out of the park, will be all for nothing.

My kids are 4 and 2. They've just started to come with me to games. I'm now seriously wondering what I am getting them into. The thought hadn't even crossed my mind for the last 10 years.

And the scary thing is, I'm not sure what the club can do to turn me around.

I know we have guys like Stringer, Macrae, Libba, Bonti, all with their best footy ahead of them. I geniunely pity them today.

I'm a far cry right now from the 14 year old kid that left the 97 prelim holding back tears and didn't say a word for another day.

Forget fightback. This is the darkest day in our club's history. I can't even bring myself to call us a proud club anymore.

That's how bad it is.

I'm hoping that between now and March, something happens that reignites the blind faith I've run with for 30 years.

I'm not holding my breath.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I don't know if I have the strength anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Forget fightback. This is the darkest day in our club's history. I can't even bring myself to call us a proud club anymore.
    This is nothing compared to fightback. Sure I'm embarrassed by our club's lack of leadership - we have shown ourselves to fail the litmus test once again when the heat was turned up. But thinking rationally (I've done a bit of that lately), an ordinary match day coach is no longer in charge, we will have a significantly regenerated coaching staff, and all things being equal we will also have a significantly regenerated playing list with lashings of elite talent brought into the club via the ND.

3. Likes 1eyedog, Raw Toast, bornadog, Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    This is nothing compared to fightback. Sure I'm embarrassed by our club's lack of leadership - we have shown ourselves to fail the litmus test once again when the heat was turned up. But thinking rationally (I've done a bit of that lately), an ordinary match day coach is no longer in charge, we will have a significantly regenerated coaching staff, and all things being equal we will also have a significantly regenerated playing list with lashing of elite talent brought to the club in the ND.
    Yep fightback was like a plague had descended on the Western Oval and this is nothing in comparison to walking around rattling tins watching old ladies cry in the street.

Post Thanks / Like

This is nothing compared to fightback. Sure I'm embarrassed by our club's lack of leadership - we have shown ourselves to fail the litmus test once again when the heat was turned up. But thinking rationally (I've done a bit of that lately), an ordinary match day coach is no longer in charge, we will have a significantly regenerated coaching staff, and all things being equal we will also have a significantly regenerated playing list with lashing of elite talent brought to the club in the ND.
    You, good sir, sell optimism far better than I at the moment.

I hope you're right. I'm telling myself "Sedat is usually right, he's not as reactive as others, believe him, we'll be ok". I don't know. The only thing more basket case than our club right now is how I feel about it.

6. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is nothing compared to fightback. Sure I'm embarrassed by our club's lack of leadership - we have shown ourselves to fail the litmus test once again when the heat was turned up. But thinking rationally (I've done a bit of that lately), an ordinary match day coach is no longer in charge, we will have a significantly regenerated coaching staff, and all things being equal we will also have a significantly regenerated playing list with lashings of elite talent brought into the club via the ND.

Sounds promising Sedat. Can you run our marketing campaign for next year?

Post Thanks / Like

Fightback had the club united - this time it's ourselves tearing the club apart.

What do we stand for? I have no idea anymore - a few absolute heart and soul players getting screwed over by self-interested prima donnas who adopt an individual first, team second attitude?

I'm really not sure.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    You, good sir, sell optimism far better than I at the moment.

I hope you're right. I'm telling myself "Sedat is usually right, he's not as reactive as others, believe him, we'll be ok". I don't know. The only thing more basket case than our club right now is how I feel about it.
    My 'optimism' (or more accurately, my neutral stance to today's news) will take a dramatic shift downward if we hold onto these senior dissenters. The current situation still presents us with a precious GWS/GC style opportunity to add significant talent to our list for an assault on the competition from 2018-2022. If we fail to grasp this opportunity (and today's decision doesn't change the landscape at all from a list management perspective), I will be as disappointed and angry at the club as many fans rightfully are today.

Post Thanks / Like

My 'optimism' (or more accurately, my neutral stance to today's news) will take a dramatic shift downward if we hold onto these senior dissenters. The current situation still presents us with a precious GWS/GC style opportunity to add significant talent to our list for an assault on the competition from 2018-2022. If we fail to grasp this opportunity (and today's decision doesn't change the landscape at all from a list management perspective), I will be as disappointed and angry at the club as many fans rightfully are today.
    What if there are "junior dissenters" also? Should they go? Or can they be turned around by a new coach and club shakeup?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Fightback had the club united - this time it's ourselves tearing the club apart.

What do we stand for? I have no idea anymore - a few absolute heart and soul players getting screwed over by self-interested prima donnas who adopt an individual first, team second attitude?

I'm really not sure.
    It's hard right now. Our supporter base is fractured and this didn't mend it there are even more fractures now. I fear for what is ahead next season and beyond. It's going to take a ton of repair work from the club to get the supporters and most importantly members back behind the club 100% A lot of us will just grin and bare it but I'm sure even the most one eyed Bulldog fan out there is very concerned right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    It's hard right now. Our supporter base is fractured and this didn't mend it there are even more fractures now. I fear for what is ahead next season and beyond. It's going to take a ton of repair work from the club to get the supporters and most importantly members back behind the club 100% A lot of us will just grin and bare it but I'm sure even the most one eyed Bulldog fan out there is very concerned right now.
    Yes, I am

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Fightback had the club united - this time it's ourselves tearing the club apart. What do we stand for? I have no idea anymore - a few absolute heart and soul players getting screwed over by self-interested prima donnas who adopt an individual first, team second attitude?

I'm really not sure.
    There it is. That's the reply I was looking for to Sedat's well articulated point.

I think what this whole sorry episode has illustrated that elite players aren't everything for an AFL club. They're the tip of the iceberg.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4by2 View Post
    What if there are "junior dissenters" also? Should they go? Or can they be turned around by a new coach and club shakeup?
    and there are. I know Talia wanted out but was told no.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly WD. This is devastating.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Good Post Sedat.

The disappointing thing is we didn't do something about this a month ago when the same thing at Adelaide was dealt with quick smart, when they also realised they had a coach out of his depth.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The disappointing thing is we didn't do something about this a month ago when the same thing at Adelaide was dealt with quick smart, when they also realised they had a coach out of his depth.
    I actually thought Adelaide's handling of the Sanderson situation was a shambles and completely confirms that the players and Ricciuto run the show there.

I always like it when a club handles a tricky situation carefully and doesn't rush into any decision - it appears as though we've done this, but the last 24 hours has done much to dispel that.