Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers and Anchors - Round 5

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    And then there was the non-call against Jong when he was run down by Yarran.
    That was textbook holding the ball too. That will be in the video of the rules next year.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

And then there was the non-call against Jong when he was run down by Yarran.
    The umpire may have thought he kicked it with his toe, as he swung his foot.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The umpire may have thought he kicked it with his toe, as he swung his foot.
    Maybe.......99 times out of 100 it's called holding the ball. Had the roles been reversed we would have been screaming.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post
    Noticed in the WOOF Awards thread that you weren't at the game. Very hard to gauge a player's use of the ball, decision making and all, when you're only watching the 5x5 metre area of the ground directly around them.
    Really? sorry can't agree with this.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Noticed in the WOOF Awards thread that you weren't at the game. Very hard to gauge a player's use of the ball, decision making and all, when you're only watching the 5x5 metre area of the ground directly around them.

I've said that I thought he was in our better half of players, probably 5th-8th best for us. Going off the WOOF Player Awards that seems like where most posters are putting him. I gave him an anchor because it was plain to me at the ground that he had an air of trepidation whenever he had the ball, and for someone who is playing as an outside midfielder, receiving the most uncontested ball of anyone out there (24 uncontested touches, next is Griffen with 19), he needs to be more aggressive. I'm just hoping it's a blip on the radar.
    Bit cheeky mate. Why not just come right out and say, “Bullshit! You weren't at the game, so you've no idea what you're talking about.”

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe.......99 times out of 100 it's called holding the ball. Had the roles been reversed we would have been screaming.
    true - but, this year I have noticed the umpires are not paying frees for incorrect disposal. I think this is a flaw in the umpiring.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    Bit cheeky mate. Why not just come right out and say, “Bullshit! You weren't at the game, so you've no idea what you're talking about.”
    I hope that's not how you read it! There are some areas of the game very hard to pick up from behind the cameras. Good commentators help. We had Dwayne again = zero help.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

Really? sorry can't agree with this.
    BAD, you know very well things at the ground compared to TV appear very different.

I commented on another thread that Macrae looked 'nervous' around goal and didn't back himself in. For whatever reason he may have got a lot of the footy but he wasn't as damaging with his run and carry, quick one - two gives as he has been this season.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    BAD, you know very well things at the ground compared to TV appear very different.

I commented on another thread that Macrae looked 'nervous' around goal and didn't back himself in. For whatever reason he may have got a lot of the footy but he wasn't as damaging with his run and carry, quick one - two gives as he has been this season.
    I thought there were certainly times late in the match where he went for a low percentage handball that didn't come off instead of dodging around his opponent like I expected.

I thought Carlton were very good at anticipating Macrae's and Griffen's shimmies and to me it looked like Macrae wasn't confident he would get past them towards the end.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post

He is 19 years old.

Post Thanks / Like

He is 19 years old.
    Agreed, giving Macrae an anchor is ridiculous really given the abundance of non-contributors we had. He put himself in dangerous positions and created space / got separation and demanded possession time and time again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    I thought there were certainly times late in the match where he went for a low percentage handball that didn't come off instead of dodging around his opponent like I expected.

I thought Carlton were very good at anticipating Macrae's and Griffen's shimmies and to me it looked like Macrae wasn't confident he would get past them towards the end.
    That was definitely a part of it. Griff has such great power through the torso that he doesn't need to completely bamboozle the opposition, he can bust through the tackles, but I bet the opposition's players are beginning to be told in meetings leading up to playing us about Macrae's tricks. It will be interesting to see how he does once everyone knows his game.

He is 19 years old.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Agreed, giving Macrae an anchor is ridiculous really given the abundance of non-contributors we had. He put himself in dangerous positions and created space / got separation and demanded possession time and time again.
    He's doing amazing things for a 19 year old. No one's disputing that.

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of players get delisted after three years on the rookie list. Now is the time when we assess whether these are indeed the early stages of his career or if they're the final stages. The point I'm making with the football brain is that whilst players can improve their awareness with experience, good football brains take a long time to develop. By the time they're eighteen they either have one or they don't. For all of his pace and sheer will, Jongy's football brain is too far short of AFL standard and his skills are nothing to write home about.
    For someone who's so intent on pushing objectivity in measuring the game and the performances of those who play it you've relied on one of the most subjective facets I can think of to put a line through a player.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    For someone who's so intent on pushing objectivity in measuring the game and the performances of those who play it you've relied on one of the most subjective facets I can think of to put a line through a player.
    He is 20 years old and has played a half dozen games - sheesh Scorlibo is tough on the younger players.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I suppose I'm discussing something which affects Lin's performance, not the performance itself. If we're discussing performance then, for someone who spends a lot of time running through the midfield, Lin needs to average far more than 11 disposals and 55 supercoach points to keep his place in the side.

The decision making is something which would be best demonstrated with access to the game data of the AFL Player Ratings. Alas, this data is not available.