Smith
    Hrovat
    Wallis
    Cordy
    Bontempelli
    Howard

Post Thanks / Like

Re: * First Round Draft picks to come in

I'm looking forward to seeing Hrovat back in the senior side. I think he may well become the best of this lot.

You can't help injuries which has affected most of them so a bit of bad luck there. Only Cordy and Howard have proven themselves incapable at the senior level so that is certainly poor drafting.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    I'm looking forward to seeing Hrovat back in the senior side. I think he may well become the best of this lot.

You can't help injuries which has affected most of them so a bit of bad luck there. Only Cordy and Howard have proven themselves incapable at the senior level so that is certainly poor drafting.

Agree with all of this, Hrovat looks silky smooth, pray that Bonts continues his upward spiral.

Howard is still the most dissapointing drafting decision on that list. '09 was one of the deepest running drafts in the last decade, and we took a speculative pick at best.....should have been a third rounder! Easy in retrospect but this decision was wrong before, during and after, anyone for Nat Fyfe at 20?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy Contradicts Law View Post
    Agree with all of this, Hrovat looks silky smooth, pray that Bonts continues his upward spiral.

Howard is still the most dissapointing drafting decision on that list. '09 was one of the deepest running drafts in the last decade, and we took a speculative pick at best.....should have been a third rounder! Easy in retrospect but this decision was wrong before, during and after, anyone for Nat Fyfe at 20?
    That's one of the most popular and repeated posts on this forum MCL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsfight View Post
    We had 8 first rounders not playing

Is this a ray of hope of a bright future
    or
    bad drafting, bad development, bad team selection or bad luck

Grant
    Williams
    Smith
    Hrovat
    Wallis
    Cordy
    Bontempelli
    Howard
    My opinion:

Grant - Bad drafting if compared to Dangerfield etc. but if he reproduces his form of late last year, he will be a very handy player moving forward.
    Williams - Last year on the list IMO. Had/has talent, more so as a forward, but his body has killed his career. Unlucky.
    Smith - We miss him. Will be a good inclusion.
    Hrovat - Rate him very highly, will be a good inclusion.
    Wallis - Jury still out - needs more strings to his bow to make it.
    Cordy - Won't make it.
    Bontempelli - Early signs are good but not realistic to expect 'side improving' performances until another 1-2 years. Should get a few games though.
    Howard - Won't make it. Absolutely woeful selection.

Overall, it's a mixed bag. Grant and Wallis still have time but are far from convincing - we really need both to come on very quickly/soon. Cordy/Howard are busts. Smith/Hrovat/Bontempelli look like being strong contributors moving forward but it's hard to estimate how much of a better side they'll make us in the immediate future.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    My opinion:

Grant - Bad drafting if compared to Dangerfield etc. but if he reproduces his form of late last year, he will be a very handy player moving forward.
    Williams - Last year on the list IMO. Had/has talent, more so as a forward, but his body has killed his career. Unlucky.
    Smith - We miss him. Will be a good inclusion.
    Hrovat - Rate him very highly, will be a good inclusion.
    Wallis - Jury still out - needs more strings to his bow to make it.
    Cordy - Won't make it.
    Bontempelli - Early signs are good but not realistic to expect 'side improving' performances until another 1-2 years. Should get a few games though.
    Howard - Won't make it. Absolutely woeful selection.

Overall, it's a mixed bag. Grant and Wallis still have time but are far from convincing - we really need both to come on very quickly/soon. Cordy/Howard are busts. Smith/Hrovat/Bontempelli look like being strong contributors moving forward but it's hard to estimate how much of a better side they'll make us in the immediate future.
    Good analysis TBB, agree with all of it.

Grant was bad drafting on two levels, the Dangerfield one you mentioned, but also in the fact that a player of his height and build was never going to be able to play the role at AFL level we were drafting him for. If he can find consistency and become a handy player then that's at least a good consolation, and let's face it our preferred choice was Cale Morton and he's utterly shithouse!

Smith looks a pretty safe bet. Hrovat is a bit of a concern with such regular soft tissue injuries, hopefully it doesn't limit his potential. Bontempelli is still very raw so it'll be hard to tell where his ceiling is for a few years, but early signs are promising.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Whilst Wallis is technically a first round pick really it's Wallis and Libba for picks 22 and 41 - you would take that every day of the week. It's academic as to which was selected at which pick. I still think Wallis is more likely than not to have at least a solid career.

Howard is the only one that should be classified as a complete blunder in my book. I think there would have been quite a few other clubs that would have been happy to take Cordy at around that mark at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Whilst Wallis is technically a first round pick really it's Wallis and Libba for picks 22 and 41 - you would take that every day of the week. It's academic as to which was selected at which pick. I still think Wallis is more likely than not to have at least a solid career.

Howard is the only one that should be classified as a complete blunder in my book. I think there would have been quite a few other clubs that would have been happy to take Cordy at around that mark at the time.
    St Kilda nominated that they would take him with their first pick which meant we had to use our next pick in the draft after their's (our first) to secure him.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

Smith looks the best off that list with Hrovat also important. As someone who panned the Smith selection it's stunning how quickly he has become an important cog of the midfield. We've missed so much of his contested work and aggression already this year. Think he may end up being one of those heart and soul Hayes/Bolton/Cross types

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigsahibee View Post
    St Kilda nominated that they would take him with their first pick which meant we had to use our next pick in the draft after their's (our first) to secure him.
    The bitter irony........Ayce playing up in Bendigo whilst that eventual pick St Kilda took Tom Lynch carves us apart at the dome!

Post Thanks / Like

The irony, is, as you say, bitter indeed MCL.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Grant - Bad drafting if compared to Dangerfield etc.
    You can't say that, 9 clubs passed on Dangerfield, it happens in every draft. I can pick a champion from every draft that is a late pick. Chris Grant was 101.

Howard - Won't make it. Absolutely woeful selection. .

Very puzzling Dalrmple went for Howard. Other than that Dalrmple has been pretty good since.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    You can't say that, 9 clubs passed on Dangerfield, it happens in every draft. I can pick a champion from every draft that is a late pick. Chris Grant was 101.
    Absolutely. And Dangerfield was a shock selection at 10 anyway.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Absolutely. And Dangerfield was a shock selection at 10 anyway.
    We did do alright at pick 19 as well mind you.........until those *add as many expletives as you like* pigs up in Blacktown stole him from us!

Post Thanks / Like

My take:

Grant - good for half a season, very interesting to see how he comes back

Williams - I've lost faith. Not entirely his fault with injury, but I really think it's time to cut our losses

Smith - Absolute gun and the type of player his teammates must love playing with. Will be a beast for us.

Hrovat - Alright, unpopular opinion time (noting he was an early second round pick wasn't he?) - did we really need to pick him up given what we need on our list? He looks good - but Hawks nabbed O'Brien with the pick we downgraded to, and although talls take longer we are in desperate need for decent developing talls

Wallis - much like Grant, apromising half a season but evidence this year is that he needs more work to become consistent

Cordy - I'm officially off the bandwagon. Worse injury history than Williams, never gots a clean run at it so development is way off.

Bontempelli - Moves well, seems coachable

Howard - must have compormising pictures of Jason McCartney to have managed a 2014 contract. Sorry, I just don't see it.

At this stage I see Grant & Smith as best 22 selections when fit - all the others are up in the air at best
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers