Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Match Committee - Round 6 vs Adelaide

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Did you just compare me to a talk back radio caller, I really, really hope not!
    Certainly not and apologies if it reads that way, I'm challenging the notion that after 6 games there seems to be a focus on changing the direction on team selections in favour of youth. Maybe much later in the season it should be a consideration but picking our best side should be what we expect from the match committee.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Gia makes our subbing entirely predictable, and thus easily coachable as per being North, when for some reason known to Macca he gave him about 10 minutes. Last week he seemed little rusty and dropped a handball receive in the goal square that would have got us back to about 2 goals down. In games like WCE, his presence was at best neutral in terms of our output.
    Agreed, that's why he shouldn't be the sub every week, start him for a couple of games, give him a go as the sub and even give him a game or two at Footscray. What we shouldn't do is just say that he needs to make room for others.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

How many eligible for rising star nominations do you think there are in the AFL? At least 40 plus.

I think he is holding his own with some important stats.

The young are the future, Gia (who I love), is not the future. Different if we were challenging for finals.
    You are always so quick to use stats to your advantage. Most of them count for very little. The fact is Jong is neither stopping his opponents nor winning much of the ball. What is he actually bringing to the side? His tackling and attitude are of a high standard but he should be learning the game at the level below.

Gia shouldn't be dropped just because we aren't challenging for finals. If that was the case, Morris and Boyd are in the same boat. Gia should be judged on form and team balance. Against Adelaide, I wouldn't play him, given they have pace and are a free wheeling side. Hunter would be my preferred selection. A forward balance of Campbell, Stringer, Dickson and Gia doesn't excite me given none are particularly quick/defensively minded (I suspect Stringer will play back though).
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Agreed, that's why he shouldn't be the sub every week, start him for a couple of games, give him a go as the sub and even give him a game or two at Footscray. What we shouldn't do is just say that he needs to make room for others.
    Macca already said the agreement with Gia is he won't be playing every week. He will most likely play about 15/16 games.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    You are always so quick to use stats to your advantage. Most of them count for very little. The fact is Jong is neither stopping his opponents nor winning much of the ball. What is he actually bringing to the side? His tackling and attitude are of a high standard but he should be learning the game at the level below.
    Fine that is your opinion. Seems the coach thinks differently than all of us.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Gia shouldn't be dropped just because we aren't challenging for finals. If that was the case, Morris and Boyd are in the same boat. Gia should be judged on form and team balance. Against Adelaide, I wouldn't play him, given they have pace and are a free wheeling side. Hunter would be my preferred selection. A forward balance of Campbell, Stringer, Dickson and Gia doesn't excite me given none are particularly quick/defensively minded (I suspect Stringer will play back though).
    This is the type of logic I think has a lot of merit. You want Hunter in for Gia because he will provide more run and it's not about the development Hunter as a player it's more about picking the right side to play against the Crows.

Stringer to the back half will be an interesting experiment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

How many eligible for rising star nominations do you think there are in the AFL? At least 40 plus.

I think he is holding his own with some important stats.

The young are the future, Gia (who I love), is not the future. Different if we were challenging for finals.
    So why not apply it across the board last year and we could have moved others as well?
    I don't question your love of Gia but after just 6 games into a season and knowing that Macca had a plan for him before he recommitted to playing on this year you seem to want to go against that and the best arguments you have advised is youth and that we aren't necessarily playing finals.

Post Thanks / Like

So why not apply it across the board last year and we could have moved others as well?
    I don't question your love of Gia but after just 6 games into a season and knowing that Macca had a plan for him before he recommitted to playing on this year you seem to want to go against that and the best arguments you have advised is youth and that we aren't necessarily playing finals.
    You know that is not possible or we will have a demons type of situation. We have to filter players out slowly at the over 30 year old mark. Lake was first, then Cross and now Macca decided Gia will be eased into coaching and has chosen this path. Who knows what happens next year.

Yes, my best argument is I would rather see Hunter, or Hrovat get to 50 games a lot quicker as I know they have the raw talent.

Post Thanks / Like

Stringer to the back half will be an interesting experiment.
    I think it's a worthwhile experiment for both the side (given injuries) and Stringer (get him involved/reading the play). Are you happy with it GVG, or would you prefer he excel at his position (forward) at VFL?
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's a worthwhile experiment for both the side (given injuries) and Stringer (get him involved/reading the play). Are you happy with it GVG, or would you prefer he excel at his position (forward) at VFL?
    I'm not sure what to do with him but given our selections it's a real possibility that he could spend some time in the back half

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure what to do with him but given our selections it's a real possibility that he could spend some time in the back half
    My money is on Stringer as sub
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Diff between Gia and other oldies is Gia has true competition for his spot. He's now playing at the expense of Hunter. No one on our list can get close to replacing Morris or Murph. Boyd? Well, I think this should be his last season, but while we have a lot of his "type" on the list, we don't have so many that are better than/close to as good as him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Diff between Gia and other oldies is Gia has true competition for his spot. He's now playing at the expense of Hunter. No one on our list can get close to replacing Morris or Murph. Boyd? Well, I think this should be his last season, but while we have a lot of his "type" on the list, we don't have so many that are better than/close to as good as him.
    Which makes it seem obvious why we'd use Gia like we have whilst in the meantime letting Cross go. Last year Gia proved himself capable of being an impact player up forward through scoring multiple goals in a short period of time on ground. Couple that with his revised role in 2014 which incorporates coaching then it's clear a strategy has been formed and is likely to be played out.

If Gia's form goes downhill over the next few weeks I don't think there'll be any issues with the coaching staff sending him back to the VFL. They've already said prior to the season commencing that was going to happen at some stage anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Is a young player gaining more development from a full game in the VFL for Footscray, or by being on for 30-40 mins at AFL level?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Is a young player gaining more development from a full game in the VFL for Footscray, or by being on for 30-40 mins at AFL level?
    Depends on the player I suppose. I'm not going to pretend I know enough about our younger players week to week to know who falls into each category.

Post Thanks / Like

I think his pace off the mark is something we are obviously in short supply of and has been beneficial on occasions in our team this season. He is still very much a work in progress but I have liked the upward curve in most areas of his game this season.