Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Match Committee - Round 6 vs Adelaide

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Simply put, what does Gia add to the playing side, not coaching or mentoring (as its a given how fantastically good he is), just simply on field output that requires him playing over kids that we want to be our future. Gia is a legend of our club and this is not Gia bashing, it's not a pot at the club or anyone, as we could well be talking about Cross in a parallel universe, with Gia playing at Melbourne.

Or more simply put, leaving the name Giansiracusa aside, what does a small veteran forward pocket offer on field for 10-30 minutes and the occasional full game that the 'little h brigade' can not do?
    I would have thought his form last year warranted another year and now a few games into it we now seem to be saying that if he plays it's at the expense of the development of the younger players. Gia's form is pretty good, he provides leadership to a very inexperienced forward line and he sets a positive tone for the younger players to follow.
    The coach was very clear that Gia would be used as a sub from time to time and even in the VFL. With that in mind rather than having a blanket decision that Gia should make way for the youngsters surely the better question is around which weeks do we give him a spell and which players comes in.

Rocco's right, Melbourne jettisoned a number of experienced players so that they could sell the members the notion that were going to fast track the development the younger guys and it actually slowed their development. They have slowed the development of a number of talented youngsters. We moved on Cross but thought the younger players needed Gia around so I think it's okay that we can use him in a variety of roles. If we need to make the hard cal on him it should be later in the year.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Happy to play Gia if he's contributing (like any other player) but aside from one game he's been largely ineffective IMO.

Tutt is the perfect sub - a player who can come on and inject pace late in a game when everybody else has tired. In most games this season, the play opens up a lot in the second half due to fatigue. I don't rate Tutt, but he's one player who can take advantage of this (as seen v GWS).

Gia moves like the queen mary and whilst his nous helps to a degree (Richmond game) I think he is (and will continue) to have a limited impact.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I would have thought his form last year warranted another year and now a few games into it we now seem to be saying that if he plays it's at the expense of the development of the younger players. Gia's form is pretty good, he provides leadership to a very inexperienced forward line and he sets a positive tone for the younger players to follow.
    The coach was very clear that Gia would be used as a sub from time to time and even in the VFL. With that in mind rather than having a blanket decision that Gia should make way for the youngsters surely the better question is around which weeks do we give him a spell and which players comes in.

Rocco's right, Melbourne jettisoned a number of experienced players so that they could sell the members the notion that were going to fast track the development the younger guys and it actually slowed their development. They have slowed the development of a number of talented youngsters. We moved on Cross but thought the younger players needed Gia around so I think it's okay that we can use him in a variety of roles. If we need to make the hard cal on him it should be later in the year.
    I'm not sure that's a fair comparison to Melbourne FC to be honest, I think it's pretty harsh on us to suggest our existance at the end of last year was even close to Melbourne-esq. Unlike Melbourne, we have a decent coach, particularly to development of players (match day stuff still needs some work) and have a generally happy and motivated playing group with off-field stability.

After Bailey, Neeld killed Melbourne, slaughtered the club. He ran players out of the club, was an average match day coach, lost the players and Melbourne off the field was in free fall and Neeld sounds like a general prick. We were not and are not at that tipping point, so to suggest moving Gia into coaching one year earlier would somehow end in under, or badly developing players is not fair to our off field brigade and on field leaders. Cross was every bit a leader and I thought his form was as good as Gia, sending Cross to that mob was heart breaking stuff -a far worse outcome than moving Gia straight into coaching.

I think everyone was surprised by Gia's contract extension. Like some, the masterplan is not always exactly apparent to me, and i'm inquisitive by nature. I'm happy to go with the flow last year, but 5 games in with the results we've had I don't see what playing him now does for the long term masterplan. In a moment/s of reflection and contemplation of the season to date, and looking forward to the remainder of the season and players we need to start playing, I just don't see what it really does now. Plus finding a spot in the 22 for Hunter, Hrovat, Dickson, Honeychurch or even Capmbell or Cordy orothers, I see Gia as the most easily replaceable player to make way for new blood.

Forget why he was re-contracted or the theories behind it, it's done and it was right at the time. But.. right now 6 rounds in, the season to date, looking forward, I don't see what he offers as a player that our future this year and beyond is best with young forwards playing for Footscray. I'm interested in the future, not the past.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Forget why he was re-contracted or the theories behind it, it's done and it was right at the time. But.. right now 6 rounds in, the season to date, looking forward, I don't see what he offers as a player that our future this year and beyond is best with young forwards playing for Footscray. I'm interested in the future, not the past.
    I think he is holding his spot and while we can't change the past we can learn a few things from it.
    I'm a strong believer that selection in the senior side should earned not gifted. I also believe that we need a balance between having some experienced players to compliment the introduction of young players in the side.

As for the future, the whole one week at a time is what we should be focusing on. We shouldn't be over reacting or changing the course 6 weeks into a season unless there is a compelling reason why. I get that it's not Gia bashing but he hasn't really done enough wrong to lose his spot. We will give him a spell from time to time but I'd wait until much later in the season before saying it's time from him to be stood down in favour of younger players.

I find the whole "play the youngsters theme" I hear on talk back radio is more of a cop out so that some supporters can find a way to live with a loss.

We have a lot of inexperienced players in the side, they need others to support them. I also want us to put up the most competitive side we can and see how the season plays out.

Post Thanks / Like

Campbell and Dickson the two ins. Surprised we are going in with only Young and Talia as key defenders. Risky.....again.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Campbell and Dickson the two ins. Surprised we are going in with only Young and Talia as key defenders. Risky.....again.

Agreed, Easton Wood has answered the challenge all season but it's going to be a challenge for him to keep getting matched up on bigger players.

Post Thanks / Like

I think he is holding his spot and while we can't change the past we can learn a few things from it.
    We haven't learned much from the past. Aker went one year too long as did Eagleton. Perhaps Gia is too.

I'm a strong believer that selection in the senior side should earned not gifted. .
    Yes agree. Honeychurch has been BOG the last two weeks and misses out again this week. I don't get that one.

I also believe that we need a balance between having some experienced players to compliment the introduction of young players in the side.
    That is why I pointed out that we have 6 players with more than 150 games playing every week, that to me is plenty. We are still not balanced in the 100 to 150 games, with only 2 playing in that bracket last week.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a strong believer that selection in the senior side should earned not gifted. I also believe that we need a balance between having some experienced players to compliment the introduction of young players in the side.

As for the future, the whole one week at a time is what we should be focusing on. We shouldn't be over reacting or changing the course 6 weeks into a season unless there is a compelling reason why. I get that it's not Gia bashing but he hasn't really done enough wrong to lose his spot. We will give him a spell from time to time but I'd wait until much later in the season before saying it's time from him to be stood down in favour of younger players.

I find the whole "play the youngsters theme" I hear on talk back radio is more of a cop out so that some supporters can find a way to live with a loss.

We have a lot of inexperienced players in the side, they need others to support them. I also want us to put up the most competitive side we can and see how the season plays out.
    Did you just compare me to a talk back radio caller, I really, really hope not!

Gia makes our subbing entirely predictable, and thus easily coachable as per being North, when for some reason known to Macca he gave him about 10 minutes. Last week he seemed little rusty and dropped a handball receive in the goal square that would have got us back to about 2 goals down. In games like WCE, his presence was at best neutral in terms of our output.

If this continues to the end of the season I'm not sure we are going to reflect on playing Gia as being a significant positive move for the club. It's not about placating losing, or talk back ranters, its about looking at the plan neaarly 1/3 in and assessing things with fresh thinking with regard to the immediate past and the immediate and longer term plan. I've been drilled with many things (Westdog, 'safety first') the other is constantly reassess plans. I'm looking at the plan and not seeing it working to a degree that it should. The plan needs to be Gia offering sufficient enough above what the Hunter/Hrovat/Honeychurchs can offer as to keep them in a lower league. So to this end it's entirely subjective and opinion.

As for our predictability with the sub and still not using it right, i'm sure I've mentioned it enough to not go over it again.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Our only player in the backline who is over 192cm is Talia who has played 14 games.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think Roberts is ready, Wood will probably do just as good a job if not better. Although it would have been nice to see Roberts tested all the same.

Glad to see Campbell into the lineup, makes us look so much better structurally. Helps out Minson (who needs it) and means we don't sacrifice Jones (and our forward options) as a ruck.

I'm amazed Jong and Stringer are both playing, particularly the former. I like his attitude, but he shouldn't be anywhere near our best 22 on a regular basis if we're being honest. At least with Stringer you can argue he's a supremely talented kid who we're pumping games into, even if he's out of form. Perhaps he'll be used down back given Dickson's inclusion?

I hope Bonti is not the sub.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    I don't think Roberts is ready, Wood will probably do just as good a job if not better. Although it would have been nice to see Roberts tested all the same.

Glad to see Campbell into the lineup, makes us look so much better structurally. Helps out Minson (who needs it) and means we don't sacrifice Jones (and our forward options) as a ruck.

I'm amazed Jong and Stringer are both playing, particularly the former. I like his attitude, but he shouldn't be anywhere near our best 22 on a regular basis if we're being honest. At least with Stringer you can argue he's a supremely talented kid who we're pumping games into, even if he's out of form. Perhaps he'll be used down back given Dickson's inclusion?
    Yes we know you don't rate Jong. Give the kid a break, he is 20 years old and has played 8 games. Its obvious the coach has set him a task and he seems to be sticking to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Yes we know you don't rate Jong. Give the kid a break, he is 20 years old and has played 8 games. Its obvious the coach has set him a task and he seems to be sticking to it.
    So you think he's deserving of a spot in our 22 after several sub 12 possession or so games? What task is that - he went to Gibbs at times and Simpson at times last week, got slaughtered.

Not sure what his age and experience have to do with my argument. You've been banging on about dropping Gia and playing a side of U19 year olds, I could turn around and say "give him a break he's played 250 games".
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    So you think he's deserving of a spot in our 22 after several sub 12 possession or so games? What task is that - he went to Gibbs at times and Simpson at times last week, got slaughtered.

Not sure what his age and experience have to do with my argument. You've been banging on about dropping Gia and playing a side of U19 year olds, I could turn around and say "give him a break he's played 250 games".
    2014 Statistical Rankings
    Ranked 5th among rising stars in Total Goal Assists Ranked 9th among rising stars in Total Goals
    Ranked 5th among rising stars in Total Tackles Ranked 6th among rising stars in Total Clearances
    Ranked 6th among rising stars in Total Rebound 50s Ranked 10th among rising stars in Total Bounces
    Ranked 6th among rising stars in Goal Assists Per Game Ranked 6th among rising stars in Tackles Per Game
    Ranked 7th among rising stars in Clearances Per Game Ranked 8th among rising stars in Rebound 50s Per Game

How many eligible for rising star nominations do you think there are in the AFL? At least 40 plus.

I think he is holding his own with some important stats.

The young are the future, Gia (who I love), is not the future. Different if we were challenging for finals.

Post Thanks / Like

We haven't learned much from the past. Aker went one year too long as did Eagleton. Perhaps Gia is too.
    Huge difference with Akermanis /Eagleton when compared to Gia. With Aker and Eagleton we had no real plan on how we would use them effectively at the club (and didn't it show) whereas Gia was pegged as being used in a variety roles including some games at Footscray and embraced those conditions. I don't see why after just 6 games and decent form you want to move him aside for others?

Yes agree. Honeychurch has been BOG the last two weeks and misses out again this week. I don't get that one.
    He was certainly in the mix, maybe someone else should have made way for him. Personally I think Hunter would have been the better inclusion this week.

That is why I pointed out that we have 6 players with more than 150 games playing every week, that to me is plenty. We are still not balanced in the 100 to 150 games, with only 2 playing in that bracket last week.
    If the games played model should be a strong consideration with selections do Morris and Murphy need to be worried by round 8 or 9?

Lets pick our best team while still providing opportunities for youngsters. It shouldn't mean that we have to drop guys who are in good form just because of their age and the number of games they have played.

Post Thanks / Like

If the games played model should be a strong consideration with selections do Morris and Murphy need to be worried by round 8 or 9?
    Big difference with Morris and Murphy, they play almost 100% of the game. I was all for Gia being sub, but you can't do it every week. Let him play the whole game then. I have already stated preseason, Gia should have retired at the end of last year.