Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Match Committee - Round 6 vs Adelaide

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Is a young player gaining more development from a full game in the VFL for Footscray, or by being on for 30-40 mins at AFL level?
    That's an intelligent question in the context of the debate. I see Gia's boundary coaching as a big plus, and he is experienced enough that the limited game time doesn't detract from his output week to week (and if it does, it's simply a case of match fitness). I really don't like the idea of young players learning to play AFL via the substitute vest.

Gia acts as the sacrificial lamb by playing the sub's role, not by being dropped for younger players. Let those younger players develop complete games at Footscray. Now that we have our own VFL side, it becomes easier for players to work on the specifics of their game that will assist them in an AFL career.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post
    That's an intelligent question in the context of the debate. I see Gia's boundary coaching as a big plus, and he is experienced enough that the limited game time doesn't detract from his output week to week (and if it does, it's simply a case of match fitness). I really don't like the idea of young players learning to play AFL via the substitute vest.

Gia acts as the sacrificial lamb by playing the sub's role, not by being dropped for younger players. Let those younger players develop complete games at Footscray. Now that we have our own VFL side, it becomes easier for players to work on the specifics of their game that will assist them in an AFL career.
    Well said Scorlibo.

Agree with all of the above and definitely don't like the idea of new players playing via the subs vest. The only thing which I think we don't want to see (which I am sure we wont) is the MC blindly picking Gia for the sub role without consideration for our opponent, tactics, requirements etc for the game that coming week.

Post Thanks / Like

If you watched the VFL game last night, and the Richmond game earlier this year, you wouldn't suggest playing a VFL game was better than a quarter of AFL.

Seeing Tutty, Hrovat, JJ and Clay last night (Grant coming back too), As bad as the opponent was, I'd select them all before Gia. It's not personal to him, but all those guys need to be consistent AFL contributors now and for a decade. I don't see what Gia's output has been to keep any of these guys out, he seems the obvious choice to make way.

If he is so good as a leader and coach (which he clearly is), couldn't he use those traits in the VFL as well, and sit on the bench in the AFL. I'm sure Honeychurch, Hrovat and maybe even Ayce would develop quicker with Gia running the forward line, it's not inconceivable that Gia could plays bursts on the ball and help our mids develop.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Diff between Gia and other oldies is Gia has true competition for his spot. He's now playing at the expense of Hunter. No one on our list can get close to replacing Morris or Murph. Boyd? Well, I think this should be his last season, but while we have a lot of his "type" on the list, we don't have so many that are better than/close to as good as him.
    Clay Smith could be the one to take Boyd's spot. But the way Boyd is playing, he is a certainty to line up next season as well.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Suspect the coach still sees Gia as a potential late game changer. We are very quick to forget Q4 v Richmond in the context of a fairly even spread of horrible footy across our entire team v Carlton. I'd like to go to the footy and see wins. Gia's experience and class sealed one of only 2 wins this year - when the wind was blowing full against us v Richmond. He still has a place as a sub in most teams I'd pick ATM. We can still rotate the young guns based on form. Most of the 2nd years will still need a spell based on fitness and form so plenty of spots that the young guns will get a chance to grab each week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    Clay Smith could be the one to take Boyd's spot. But the way Boyd is playing, he is a certainty to line up next season as well.
    I see Wallis as the replacement for Boyd once he gets his strength and fitness up. Clay on the other hand is going to be a different cat all together IMO. He's an absolute beast, with an offensive mindset.

To elaborate on that, I've never thought Boyd who is strong enough in the contest to win his own ball and stop his opponent (when his mind is on it) was particularly offensive or defensive. He's pretty much neutral if not given a specific defensive task. Clay on the other hand is offensively minded first and foremost, and will knock down walls to get it forward at any cost.

I think there's a spot for each of Wallis, Smith and Stevens in our midfield as Boyd and Cooney pass on the baton.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Superdog View Post
    Suspect the coach still sees Gia as a potential late game changer. We are very quick to forget Q4 v Richmond in the context of a fairly even spread of horrible footy across our entire team v Carlton. I'd like to go to the footy and see wins. Gia's experience and class sealed one of only 2 wins this year - when the wind was blowing full against us v Richmond. He still has a place as a sub in most teams I'd pick ATM. We can still rotate the young guns based on form. Most of the 2nd years will still need a spell based on fitness and form so plenty of spots that the young guns will get a chance to grab each week.
    Agree with this. We have such a disparity on our list ( although it's getting better) of senior players and inexperienced players.
    You get such inconsistency due to inexperience and physical capabilities, and how often do young players miss Beeing rested?
    I don't think Gia will play every game ( even as a sub)The good think about the result ( even though the opposition was woeful)
    Competition for sports is high

Post Thanks / Like

Gia wasn't bad today, but he didn't win it either. If the argument goes that Gia was a better prospect on field than Bontempelli or Honeychurch who can rotate through the middle in bursts too, we can just agree to disagree. Except on the fact we don't seem to understand how best to work the sub.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Gia wasn't bad today, but he didn't win it either. If the argument goes that Gia was a better prospect on field than Bontempelli or Honeychurch who can rotate through the middle in bursts too, we can just agree to disagree. Except on the fact we don't seem to understand how best to work the sub.
    Gia didn't do much, but is a proven performer as sub. Hunter had no impact.

Post Thanks / Like

BT, what would have you done today with the sub?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    BT, what would have you done today with the sub?
    Match Day: Sent Jones to have an early shower. Campbell offered far more across the game than Jones, and it wasn't a lot, but Jones was terribly putrid today

Match Committee: I would prefer to see a midfielder selected. I'm not sure why we seem to think the sub should be a forward pocket.

Post Thanks / Like

Match Day: Sent Jones to have an early shower. Campbell offered far more across the game than Jones, and it wasn't a lot, but Jones was terribly putrid today

Match Committee: I would prefer to see a midfielder selected. I'm not sure why we seem to think the sub should be a forward pocket.
    You'd be hard pressed to find a player for any team who has been as consistently good in the sub role as Gia has been for us.

Gia has one of the best tanks at the club!

Post Thanks / Like

Match Day: Sent Jones to have an early shower. Campbell offered far more across the game than Jones, and it wasn't a lot, but Jones was terribly putrid today .
    The reason Jones wasn't subbed was we swapped him with Stringer who was getting beaten. Jones went to Pods, Tom Young isn't a KPP and I don't know where Talia was playing in the last??? I didn't see hoim on the ground at all.

People are harsh on Jones because he just isn't a backman. He didn't have a great day earlier but lets face it the ball delivery into the forward line in the 2nd and 3rd quarter as woeful.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

As I said earlier, Gia shouldn't have played today. Far too slow against a side who moves the ball quickly, particularly from half back. There is merit in Gia playing games, but they have to be strategically based decisions and once again the MC has failed in this regard.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    People are harsh on Jones because he just isn't a backman. He didn't have a great day earlier but lets face it the ball delivery into the forward line in the 2nd and 3rd quarter as woeful.
    The delivery was poor into the forward line because we had no one presenting for us to kick to. Jones absolutely refused to make any effort at all. Crameri was also poor, there was nothing for the players up the ground to do but bomb it long.

Some half decent effort from a lead up forward and w
    our entries would have looked much better.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships