Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Match Committee - Round 6 vs Adelaide

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    We aren't gonna drop the AA ruck from last year due to one bad game.

Personally I didn't notice he was horrendous. He had some mate though either way.
    Yesterday isn't an isolated occurrence, he's been poor all year. I doubt we'll make that change, but would be supportive if we did.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately with Roughead out- we are forced to play Williams and/or Talia.
    Can't wait til Morris replaces either.

Jong out for Hunter
    Stringer for Dickson

Would be happy to see Tutt in the side for his run and spread.

Post Thanks / Like

In Campbell Dickson Hunter Morris
    Out Williams Stringer Jong Gia

Dickson and Campbell kicked 10 goals between them last year against Crows they Must play Will Needs More help and Tommy can do that a forward line of LJ Crammers And TC can really stretch there defence especially if Rutten misses.Gia needs a spell for a week or two just looks spent atm.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pickenitup View Post
    In Campbell Dickson Hunter Morris
    Out Williams Stringer Jong Gia

Dickson and Campbell kicked 10 goals between them last year against Crows they Must play Will Needs More help and Tommy can do that a forward line of LJ Crammers And TC can really stretch there defence especially if Rutten misses.Gia needs a spell for a week or two just looks spent atm.
    Surprised at your Gia comment. He played approx one and a half quarters yesterday and could/should have kicked three goals.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Cordy was woeful in the 2's.
    Fair enough. Perhaps we go with Campbell then - we need to do something both to help Minson and hopefully create some headaches for the Crows in our forward line. Going to be a difficult week at the selection table, I really wish we had Smith and Hrovat ready to come in.

I'd be pretty tempted to give Jong the gig on Dangerfield this week, and just scrag him, put plenty of body work on him. Jong has the size and pace to match him, not the nous - but it would be a great test for the young man. Wallis to Sloane or Thompson.

I'd really like to bring either Honeychurch or Tutt in too - Honey may allow Dahl more midfield opportunity and Tutt was OK the previous week and the Crows aren't an overly quick side - if we can find some more leg speed on the outside we could trouble them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Surprised at your Gia comment. He played approx one and a half quarters yesterday and could/should have kicked three goals.
    My concern with Gia is I think the reason he didn't kick 3 is because his body was a few yards too slow and he is starting to be exposed further up the ground. He is struggling with players spreading from the contest and when its a one on one or a two on two he is limited in how much he can influence it.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Can't speak for the other poster, but Jong has many failings, least of all inexperience.

- Cannot find the ball
    - Cannot dispose of the ball well by hand/foot
    - Extremely poor positioning = second to every contest, which sometimes makes him look as though he's going half hearted
    - Has a bad, bad habit of getting tackled and letting the ball spill out
    - Not fit enough

At times when it's a clear objective he can be tough (ie. spoiling the ball in a big pack) but his lack of footy nous has him second guessing a lot. He's not without hope of making it, but we have a LOT better players on our list that should be getting games long before him.
    You've summed it up well. I was surprised we didn't delist him last year, and even more surprised (pleasantly) when he was able to come into the side and contribute for a couple of matches. But like you say, some of his play in close is very costly and negates the tenacious play he produces at other times.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Yesterday isn't an isolated occurrence, he's been poor all year. I doubt we'll make that change, but would be supportive if we did.
    This is a bad idea. Will might not be in form, but he at least gives us a contest at every stoppage. If we played Campbell, he wouldn't be able to ruck all game and wouldn't be nearly as competitive for the portion he did ruck for. We'd have to bring in both Ayce and Campbell to make it even a little bit feasible.

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Williams for Morris (otherwise Roberts)
    Williams is not good enough to be a key defender with us, he is too easily beaten in the contest and this has been a hallmark of his game forever and ever. For an ex rugby player it's bizarre that the thing he lacks most is strength and an ability to hold his ground. Morris comes back in, but if not Roberts does. It's time we tell Williams he is a depth key defender only. This means no more being rushed back no more blind faith, and if either or both of Talia and Roberts are available their development gets prioritised. Williams has the rest of the season to convince us he is a key forward.
    Must admit I'm a little surprised at the heat Tom Williams is getting given last week he was one of our best. Certainly he had a stinker and looks to be lacking a bit of strength at the moment, but sheesh what you've said here is harsh, soup! Still offers more than Talia at this stage imo.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

I can't see us making too many changes but I'm going with 4.

Ins Morris, Hunter, Campbell, Tutt
    Out Talia, Jong, Stringer, Giansiracusa

The return of our best defender is a no brainer. Talia just needs a bit more time at Williamstown
    Hunter replacing Jong is mainly down to skill level. Hunter has some lessons to learn but maybe they can be done at the senior level
    Stringer had some encouraging signs but with Minson needing assistance Campbell can provide a forward target and 5 minutes in the ruck here and there.
    Tutt will give us more run and spread than Gia against a team choc full of running players.

I could make the argument to keep a few of the outs.

Perhaps the MC might look at a good news story in a debut of Honeychurch.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Out- Stringer, Jong, Young

In- Campbell, Hunter, Morris

Stringer simply needs to go down, he's getting nothing out of this spell in the firsts, Campbell provides the extra tall and gives Will a chop out.

Jong adds more of the same and I thought his job on Kade Simpson was poor yesterday, made a lot of mistakes.

Young wasn't our backlines worst but he isn't a tall, so shouldn't be played there. He is competing with Wood, Murphy, Higgins and the other running backs so that's where he should be played. Williams and Talia simply play because of the dearth of options

Post Thanks / Like

One issue with the sub rule is the lack of warm up for a player coming on.
    I just wonder why the sub isn't in the rooms getting some touch and warming up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I can't see us making too many changes but I'm going with 4.

Ins Morris, Hunter, Campbell, Tutt
    Out Talia, Jong, Stringer, Giansiracusa

The return of our best defender is a no brainer. Talia just needs a bit more time at Williamstown
    Hunter replacing Jong is mainly down to skill level. Hunter has some lessons to learn but maybe they can be done at the senior level
    Stringer had some encouraging signs but with Minson needing assistance Campbell can provide a forward target and 5 minutes in the ruck here and there.
    Tutt will give us more run and spread than Gia against a team choc full of running players.

I could make the argument to keep a few of the outs.

Perhaps the MC might look at a good news story in a debut of Honeychurch.
    That's a bit tough GVGjr. Not only drop him to the VFL but out of our team as well.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

I'm concerned that Gia has gone on one year too long, not because of his performance yesterday but because he seems to be limited to one trick where he makes contact with the defender and then doubles back goal side. Problem is he cannot get any separation from the opposition due to a lack of pace so it rarely works. I've also noticed that defenders are on to it and close it down and once again the ball goes shooting out of the back half. I know Gia sucked Ellis in the week before but I'm concerned when Gia is one on one in any situation these days.

Ins: Jabba the Tutt, Hunter and Morris
    Outs: Williams, Wallis and Gia

Tutt comes in for Wally to provide some run, Morris is Williams' replacement and Hunter comes in for Gia.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    So Jong's main failing is inexperience, but the best option is dropping him?
    Yep, get some more of the basics into him in the VFL.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Question: Danger has just hit form, can't see Wallis going with him pace wise is Picken the answer? OR could Tutt play a run with role on Danger? He has the pace? Anyway I feel the need for speed.

Ins: Tutt, Honeychurch, Hunter, Morris
    Out: Wallis, Gia (give him a rest), Jong, Williams

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    That's a bit tough GVGjr. Not only drop him to the VFL but out of our team as well.
    Old habits die hard
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"