Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Match Committee - Round 6 vs Adelaide

Quote Originally Posted by Red White Blue View Post
    Question: Danger has just hit form, can't see Wallis going with him pace wise is Picken the answer? OR could Tutt play a run with role on Danger? He has the pace? Anyway I feel the need for speed.

Ins: Tutt, Honeychurch, Hunter, Morris
    Out: Wallis, Gia (give him a rest), Jong, Williams
    Picken looks better suited in defence and with the likes of Murphy and Morris provides steadiness and experience. Wallis lack of leg speed and class makes his task difficult against quality players such as Murphy and Dangerfield. I wonder whether Wood could be suited with his pace and size in this role.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    Picken looks better suited in defence and with the likes of Murphy and Morris provides steadiness and experience. Wallis lack of leg speed and class makes his task difficult against quality players such as Murphy and Dangerfield. I wonder whether Wood could be suited with his pace and size in this role.
    Wood on Danger is an interesting match up. Something we should try. Wallis definitely doesn't have the leg speed. As much as I love Mitch, he struggled against Murphy yesterday and was tagging Cotchin a few weeks back when he was BOG.

Ins: Hunter, Morris, Tutt
    Outs: Young, Jong, Stevens

I hope Bontempelli stays in the side.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post
    Must admit I'm a little surprised at the heat Tom Williams is getting given last week he was one of our best. Certainly he had a stinker and looks to be lacking a bit of strength at the moment, but sheesh what you've said here is harsh, soup! Still offers more than Talia at this stage imo.
    I think the only area where he offers more than Talia at this stage is disposal. He has never lacked strength, but has always been very easily worked out of marking contests. Any marking contest which requires him to stand his ground is dangerous as he too often gets nudged out of the way as if he isn't expecting body contact.

I think, despite his lack of continuity, he has shown that he is not a good key defender, but rather a poor one that occasionally plays decent games. His skillset is better suited to playing as a leading forward where he can dictate how he approaches contests. After 10 years in the system he still concedes too many soft contests and I'd rather we put games into developing guys like Roberts and Talia to see if they are the future instead of postponing the realisation that Williams is not.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Tom looks more of a forward than a defender. When he has gone forward he is at least on the move which is a lot better than trying to body the defender. The question is can we fit him in.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

MRP findings recently posted up on AFL.com

Liam free to play thanks in part to OUR medical team providing the all clear on Marc Murphy's injury

Contact between the Western Bulldogs' Liam Jones and Carlton's Marc Murphy from the fourth quarter of Sunday's match was assessed. Murphy is running to the contest when Jones runs to shepherd for his team-mate, Liam Picken. Jones bumps Murphy within five metres of the football and makes significant body contact and high contact. After viewing all the available footage and receiving a medical report from the Western Bulldogs Football Club, it was the view of the panel that the force used by Jones was below that required to constitute a reportable offence. No further action was taken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post

Liam free to play thanks in part to OUR medical team providing the all clear on Marc Murphy's injury
    I'm surprised. Must be a typo......why would we be providing a report on Murphy?
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

In. Campbell Hunter Morris
    Out. Stringer Gia Williams
    We need big Tom in the team as a target up forward and to support Will in the ruck. Will was taken apart by Warnock and the time was right for Campbell to try another tact.
    Stringer needs more time with our Footscray VFL team to really show that he is good enough. I like Hunter's smartness on the forward line and is preferred to Gia and the temptation to bring back Dickson. I would rather see Bontempelli become an established player before we introduce Honeychurch as another first year player. Morris if fit is an automatic selection whilst Williams misses. I think Talia has more upside and retains his position in defence. Wallis stays as the tag for Sloane and I would like to see Wood take the explosive Dangerfield. Picken needs to play in defence which together with the likes of Murphy and Morris provides steadiness and experience.
    This is a winnable game providing we get our match ups right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post

That's good.

Also, is that the first bump to get off at the MRP in the past couple of years? It was a good hit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    I think the only area where he offers more than Talia at this stage is disposal. He has never lacked strength, but has always been very easily worked out of marking contests. Any marking contest which requires him to stand his ground is dangerous as he too often gets nudged out of the way as if he isn't expecting body contact.

I think, despite his lack of continuity, he has shown that he is not a good key defender, but rather a poor one that occasionally plays decent games. His skillset is better suited to playing as a leading forward where he can dictate how he approaches contests. After 10 years in the system he still concedes too many soft contests and I'd rather we put games into developing guys like Roberts and Talia to see if they are the future instead of postponing the realisation that Williams is not.
    I guess I'm willing to postpone the realisation a little longer then. He deserves a decent run at it this season to convince us and the coaching staff one way or the other.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Williams go forward next week and act as support for Minno in the ruck.

In: Hunter, Morris.
    Out: Jong, Cooney (rest).

Willing to give Stringer another go this week after an improved showing, even though I thought he should have been dropped last week.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

I'll preface this by saying that I can understand that, in theory, Wallis doesn't have the pace for Dangerfield....but has everyone forgotten that he tagged, and beat him just last year?!

He was also praised, broadly across WOOF for his sterling job on Ward just a week ago.

Post Thanks / Like

In: Morris, Dickson (deserves a go after three weeks of kicking plenty goals and improving his tackling and pressure)

Out: Young, Gia (The coach said he may not play some weeks)
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I'll preface this by saying that I can understand that, in theory, Wallis doesn't have the pace for Dangerfield....but has everyone forgotten that he tagged, and beat him just last year?!

He was also praised, broadly across WOOF for his sterling job on Ward just a week ago.
    As was Williams. People have short memories Ozza.

IIRC Wallis also towelled up Murphy last year, so last year's tagging jobs might not be the best indication of his ability to go with the best this year. Nevertheless, I'd be sticking with him too.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

In: Hunter, Morris.
    Out: Jong, Williams

Williams should stay on the list at the end of the year as long as we understand he is not best 22 but a flexible, depth KP player.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Honeychurch will come in this week.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I think Honeychurch will come in this week.
    I'd like to be as sure of winning tatts. Lock him in.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.