Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Roberts impressing in defensive post

Fletcher Roberts in action during a Western Bulldogs training session at Whitten Oval, on November 27, 2013. (Photo: Lachlan Cunningham/AFL Media)

Fletcher Roberts is equally proficient kicking goals or disarming power

Fletcher Roberts is equally proficient kicking goals or disarming power forwards but the recent opening in the Western Bulldogs back six has him in the mix for a senior defensive spot.

An injury to Jordan Roughead and suspension to Dale Morris means the Bulldogs need coverage in their back line and Roberts is hopeful his name will be raised at the selection table.

“I’ve been trying to become more ruthless in my defence, being able to shut down an opponent and make sure he has very little impact on the game,” Roberts said.

“For me it’s just about getting the right intensity and consistency in each game to put my hand up for the seniors.
    “It really depends on how [Senior Coach Brendan McCartney] thinks I’m developing as a defender and if I am playing the way he wants me to play and if I am a suitable fit for the team.”

Spoilt for choice when it comes to mentors both up forward and in defence, Roberts has worked diligently on his craft in his foundation years at the Club.
    “I think it’s really good for me being able to develop… under the tutelage of Cameron Mooney and Matthew Scarlett – as well as the line coaches in Shannon Grant and Rohan Smith,” he said.

Roberts has also shown dedication in the gym, weighing in 10kg heavier than when he was first drafted - and now trying to increase strength while maintaining his athleticism at that weight.
    Biding his time at Footscray, the 20-year-old is embracing the opportunity to build chemistry with his teammates and become more confident contributing to the Bulldogs offensive game.

“Game day is where a lot of the development happens, so I think it’s a good thing we are playing as a group together… it’s helping everyone’s development,” he said.

Link
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Roberts impressing in defensive post

That's a pretty strong indication that he is the one to come in for Morris.
    If so, I wish him well.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

It'd be a good test to see where he's at.

When he debuted 2 years ago he looked comfortable, but if you said he wouldn't play a game thereafter, most of us would have been a combination of surprised and disappointed.

Although it's not make or break time, I do think he needs to start showing something. This could be the perfect opportunity for the club to see how far he's come.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Begs the question though what has Talia done to fall so far down the pecking order?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Begs the question though what has Talia done to fall so far down the pecking order?
    You know he was concussed last week when he sustained a broken nose. I dont know why he wasn't playing seniors from the first round, I guess only the MC could tell us the answer.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    I think Macca let the cat out of the bag after the North loss. Something along the lines of "If they won't play the way we want them to at Footscray then we won't pick them for the Senior side"
    I get why people are frustrated by Talia's non inclusion but no coach ignores players without a good reason. I'm confident once any of the players do the right things on the track and at Footscray then they will be in the selection mix.

12 months back and we would have been blaming the Williamstown alignment for players not getting enough chances but having our own VFL side means the focus moves back onto the players performances.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

We'd be blaming the alignment if Michael was plying his trade in the Willy seconds.
    Judging by some of the Willy fans,(who were quite vocal on a few of our players) the parting is a blessing