Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Mitch Wallis and his role moving forward

Mitch Wallis was a highly touted junior and was taken at Pick #22 in the 2010 National Draft, considered a steal. We all know about his first class attitude and his strong leadership skills, but he's had a difficult beginning to his career.

In his first season he managed 6 games, with concerns over his ability to win the ball and dispose of it effectively. In 2012 he improved out of sight, managing 19 games and averaging 22 disposals. Last year he began the year slowly, but still managed to play 18 games, becoming a tagger and averaging 18 disposals per game. In his first 5 games of this season, Wallis has had a couple of solid games (most notably his game on Ward) but his numbers are well down, averaging only 12 disposals per game (equal career low).

What is Mitch Wallis' role moving forward? He's played 48 games, is 21 years old and has seemingly been pigeonholed as a midfield tagger. He isn't winning enough of the ball, has been beaten badly a couple of times (Cotchin & Murphy), isn't quick and doesn't hurt the opposition with his disposals. I worry that as a 21 year old and with his limitations, already being crafted as a tagger doesn't bode well for his future and longevity in the game. Typically these roles are for players 25-30 years of age who are trying to save their career (eg. Crowley a few years ago, Lower for us, McCaffer), not 21 year olds who were formerly first round picks/highly touted juniors just a few years earlier.

Does Wallis need to reinvent himself, head back to the VFL and become a premier inside mid? Does he need to add other strings to his bow, such as playing off a HFF/HBF (eg. Picken style)? Alternatively, do we see a future for him only as a tagger who is currently in a bit of a form slump?
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mitch Wallis and his role moving forward

I'd prefer him to be a close checking shadow, not the tight marking tagger that he's been playing as so far this season. I still think he needs the freedom to win his own ball. He visibly looks as though he's so intent on negating his opponent that his other natural football smarts are clouded.

Post Thanks / Like

I think he needs to play the role Boyd use to play i.e. a defensive midfielder rather than a tagger. Surely he has done his apprenticeship watching up close how the really good players go about doing things. He needs to be freed up a bit now and given clear instructions that he should win his own ball while maintaining a strongly defensive attitude when he hasn't got it / can't get it. I think he is better than a tagger and I am concerned the role might stifle him and actually halt his development. .

I still seem him becoming a very good player in 2-3 years.

Post Thanks / Like

It'd be disappointing if he only ever becomes a tagger, but that said, we've had many picks higher than 22 that haven't even made it to that level so it's not a complete was - just a shame given everyone thought we were getting a steal that year.

Post Thanks / Like

He needs to be stronger and fitter to be able to balance both the negative and the positive sides of game.

His ball use and decision making will become better once he takes care of his strength and fitness. Whilst he's not as tall or as largely framed, I think a good example of the type of footballer he should try to be is Jobe Watson.

Mitch has the capacity to be dangerous by hand and competent by foot, and I think over time he will be able to accumulate more ball at the senior level which is something a lot of young midfielders struggle with.

Post Thanks / Like

It's way too early to be declaring Wallis a designated tagger - or otherwise. Judgements are perpetually made far too early on players by supporters.

That he is playing as a tagger right now could be either to further his development, could be based on what the team most needs from him right now - or both. The AFL, both past and present, is littered with examples of players who don't have great pace or a penetrating kick, who have been very important contributors to good sides, to premiership sides. Jeemak has used Jobe Watson as a pretty good example. I'd say the likes of Luke Ball, Jimmy Bartel, Joel Corey, Josh Kennedy (Syd), Jude Bolton and Cameron Ling are all examples that come to mind of players with some common attributes.
    I'm not saying Mitch will be as good as all, or any of these, but they are examples of players who if written off or pigeonholed due to pace or kick penetration concerns - after 40 games - would seem crazy in retrospect.

Getting back to my first point on players being judged or pigeonholed by supporters....what was it - 6,7 weeks ago - maybe even after round 1 - Liam Picken apparently couldn't play as a small defender - that 'experiment didn't work'. He's been amongst our most consistent performers this year - and apart from the periods he spent on Le Cras (who is an absolute star)...Picken has taken the honours in all other matches.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    - and apart from the periods he spent on Le Cras (who is an absolute star)...Picken has taken the honours in all other matches.
    The was the worst match up of all time, blind freddy could have told the MC that.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The was the worst match up of all time, blind freddy could have told the MC that.
    Why is it a bad match up on paper - without the benefit of hindsight?

Picken has the pace and the defensive attributes to go with the oppositions best player. We put our best defensive small/medium sized player on their best small/medium sized forward-mid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Who was a better match up? LeCras routinely beats Morris.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Why is it a bad match up on paper - without the benefit of hindsight?

Picken has the pace and the defensive attributes to go with the oppositions best player. We put our best defensive small/medium sized player on their best small/medium sized forward-mid.
    Le Cras is also good in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Who was a better match up? LeCras routinely beats Morris.
    Does he? I will take your word on that, because I can't remember the last time he played on him.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

It's way too early to be declaring Wallis a designated tagger - or otherwise. Judgements are perpetually made far too early on players by supporters.
    I'm not declaring him an out and out tagger, but he's being played like one and has been for much of the last season and a bit.

My question was about whether or not we should 'release the shackles', as I agree with comments above that he's so worried about his man (often gives free kicks away as a result) that he has been forgetting about playing footy on its merits/instincts.

Arguably the way we're playing him at the moment is stifling his development.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    I'm not declaring him an out and out tagger, but he's being played like one and has been for much of the last season and a bit.

My question was about whether or not we should 'release the shackles', as I agree with comments above that he's so worried about his man (often gives free kicks away as a result) that he has been forgetting about playing footy on its merits/instincts.

Arguably the way we're playing him at the moment is stifling his development.
    I guess the key word is arguably.

I hear what you're saying - but I would be guessing the clubs development guys and coaches figure that his run with roles on elite are further developing his running patterns and game sense also.

Post Thanks / Like

Wallis, despite his celebrated status from junior days, is still learning and adjusting to AFL senior footy. His current role would be teaching him plenty about elite players. With his dedication he should be able to apply that knowledge as his career develops.

A comparison has been made in the thread to Jobe Watson. In his early years Watson was almost delisted as they could not find a role for him. He has moved to an elite level only from around age 24 or 25.

Wallis has time on his side and, despite some poor games this year, he has shown he can contribute. I suspect he may need a spell as the schedule has been pretty tough to start the year.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    A comparison has been made in the thread to Jobe Watson. In his early years Watson was almost delisted as they could not find a role for him. He has moved to an elite level only from around age 24 or 25.
    Watson was also fat as a house, uncommitted, and running with the ruckmen at the back of the packs during preseason. He became elite in his early 20's when he finally applied himself.

We can question a lot of things about Wallis, but attitude and application are not amongst them.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like Wally has been dropped.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...