Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Looks like Wally has been dropped.
    Or rested? Like Hunter was last week.

Hard to tell.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mitch Wallis and his role moving forward

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Looks like Wally has been dropped.
    Actually, just watched Macca's presser. Definitely dropped. Both him and Williams.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jeemak, Ozza, Bulldog Joe...

Hoping Wallis is able to follow Job Watson's example.

I recall Liberatore & Wallis when they first played a few years ago that everyone was touting Wallis moreso than Liberatore. In those early games I thought Liberatore's decision making & kicking were better and possibly a bit quicker too. Both going through tough start to the year, Libber being tagged and Wallis not so successful as tagger. Hope they keep each others spirits up and can work through it successfully.
    Josie :)

Our day will come
    And we'll have everything.
    We'll share the joy
    Just like '54 again.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree we do judge players to quickly.
    We've got a lot of similar types, but with Boyd coming to the end he's going to rise in the pecking order.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see why he can't turn into a Luke Hodge-lite sort of player who marshals the backline; he's actually quite strong through the core and I'm happy enough with his decision making (about time we mention some strengths of his in this thread, no?).

I think a good player he could model himself off is Greystache's guy Nick Smith. Makes sure everyone is on point, isn't really quick either but makes a habit of messing up guys like Cyril.

Just a thought; I'm willing to concede that a full time midfield birth is unlikely, but at the same time tagging feels underwhelming (not to mention he gets torched too often)
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I don't see why he can't turn into a Luke Hodge-lite sort of player who marshals the backline; he's actually quite strong through the core and I'm happy enough with his decision making (about time we mention some strengths of his in this thread, no?).

I think a good player he could model himself off is Greystache's guy Nick Smith. Makes sure everyone is on point, isn't really quick either but makes a habit of messing up guys like Cyril.

Just a thought; I'm willing to concede that a full time midfield birth is unlikely, but at the same time tagging feels underwhelming (not to mention he gets torched too often)
    Really? Hodge's attributes are his long precision field kicking and ability to mark the ball from opposition kicks which to me would be two of Wallis' main weaknesses.

Post Thanks / Like

I've like Wallis application to his role, but he needs to get more of the ball and use it more constructively - for me its as simple as that

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Really? Hodge's attributes are his long precision field kicking and ability to mark the ball from opposition kicks which to me would be two of Wallis' main weaknesses.
    I meant a really stripped back version. Like really really stripped back. I'm not saying he's a raking kick by any means, but I do think he's a solid, if understated one.

Perhaps Hodge is too much of a reach but I meant to play in that sort of mindset. We can't call his intercept marking a strength for obvious reasons but I see no reason why he couldn't affect a contest; he's not exactly a small guy. If instructed to play this way I have no doubt he'd at least throw himself fully at it, which is half the battle in wrecking contests anyway.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Wallis couldn't be further different in terms of playing styles to Hodge.

Wallis is drawn to the ball in contests, whereas Hodge reads the play exceptionally well and often sits back. Wallis is more of a 'see ball get ball' type of player, nothing wrong with that, it's why I would like to see him concentrate on playing his own game and developing as an accumulating inside mid.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    ... it's why I would like to see him concentrate on playing his own game and developing as an accumulating inside mid.
    And this is where his game has faltered this year. Last year he was winning more of his own footy, and using it more positively, particularly his hands in close. He's lost the balance between attack and defence.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't see any version of Wallis emulating any version of what Hodge does across half back eventuating.

The tagging role for me is a means to an end as far as Wallis is concerned, where the outcome is a defensively hardened accumulator with good hands and an adequate kick. If he can become that then it will be good for our club.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Wallis is drawn to the ball in contests, whereas Hodge reads the play exceptionally well and often sits back. Wallis is more of a 'see ball get ball' type of player, nothing wrong with that, it's why I would like to see him concentrate on playing his own game and developing as an accumulating inside mid.
    Agree with this. Unfortunately for Mitch, that puts him behind Griffen, Boyd, Libba, Cooney, Macrae, and arguably even Smith, Stevens and Dahl in the midfield ball-winning rotations. I think it is a huge worry that a 21yo is already pigeon-holed as a tagger, and to be honest he has not been a raging success in the role this season - he was very good late last season to be fair. It is not work-rate or application, which is even more concerning because he is obviously doing absolutely everything he can from a preparation perspective. Maybe he can develop his forward line craft so as to become an asset up forward in a similar way to what Dahl provides to us? I see parallels between Mitch and Steele Sidebottom, who is quite effective as a secondary mid rotation and a clever forward craftsman, even though he too lacks a yard of pace.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought he played his best game last night for the club.

I must admit I was wondering whether he was going to make it, but now I can see he is a vital cog in our midfield.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

How good is Mitch Wallis? I'll go out on a limb and say by end of year he'll be as good as and important to us as Libba. A big plus is he's kicking goals too. A hard, inside midfielder who kicks goals! Wow. Loving what he brings, thanks Steve.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

15. Likes bornadog, stefoid, craigsahibee, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    How good is Mitch Wallis? I'll go out on a limb and say by end of year he'll be as good as and important to us as Libba. A big plus is he's kicking goals too. A hard, inside midfielder who kicks goals! Wow. Loving what he brings, thanks Steve.
    And he doesn't miss. A very accurate kick for goals. Always feel confident when he or Dickson are lining up for goal.