Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Dickson's New Deal

http://m.westernbulldogs.com.au/news...ksons-new-deal

Dickson's new deal
    westernbulldogs.com.au
    8 May 2014 3:00 PM

Forward Tory Dickson is the latest Bulldog to extend his contract with the Club, penning a new two-year deal on Thursday.

The dangerous goal sneak joins talented youngsters Jack Macrae, Jake Stringer and Lachy Hunter in showing faith in the Bulldogs' direction under coach Brendan McCartney in the past few months.

Recruited as a mature aged player from the Bendigo Bombers with pick 57 in the 2011 NAB AFL Draft, Dickson says he couldn't be happier remaining at Victoria University Whitten Oval.

"It's been great to agree to terms, I'm really excited, I think we're going places and its really good to put pen to paper," Dickson said.

"It's my third year, I feel I'm growing year by year but I've still got a lot to learn."

But reflecting on his efforts in the Bulldogs' opening round thrashing at the hands of the Eagles, he has no doubts why he spent the next month in the VFL.

"I played round one, and there was a couple of soft efforts, and I wasn't proud of them," he said.

"If you're not playing the right way, you're going to find yourself out of the team."

A chat with McCartney and forwards coach Shannon Grant quickly reminded the 26-year-old what is expected of him.

"It was to do with form, it was to do with effort and work rate," Dickson said.

"I guess I just went back (to the VFL) and worked on a few little things I needed to work on and then found my way back in to the team."

It's not the first time the former Essendon assistant coaches have had an influence on Dickson's rise from suburban footballer to a Bulldog regular.

"I guess I have them (McCartney and Grant) to thank really, (after) going back and giving VFL another go playing with the Bendigo Bombers," he said.

"You never know, maybe if those guys weren't there I might not have got that opportunity, so I'm very grateful to them and the Western Bulldogs."
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dickson's New Deal

Surprised by the timing, I'd have thought there were other options and we should have let the year play out first

Post Thanks / Like

Surprised. Grant struggled to get 2. Good luck to him though.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I'm happy with this. Mature-aged, but only played 33 games. 48 goals for an average of 1.5 per game. Take Gia out of the equation and really only Dahlhaus comes close in a forwardline that hasn't kicked goals since he's been there.

Just needs to work on consistency of effort for each game, as his goal return is skewed due to multiples in very third game or so.

Post Thanks / Like

He's a talented player but desperately needs to find more consistency.

Surprised by the extension at this point of the season, but not unhappy - think he can add a fair bit.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with others.
    Dickson needs to find some consistency , and hopefully comes with more games.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure this is a great decision this early in the season.. He is one player who I think will struggle to get a game as (if) we improve.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Not sure this is a great decision this early in the season.. He is one player who I think will struggle to get a game as (if) we improve.
    I agree. I think as a pure forward he might be pushed out by guys like Hunter who have shown that they can push up the ground as well as kick goals.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Tory.
    He is worth another 2 years. I think he has done really well since joining us, especially with the type of delivery coming into the forward line. It would be nice if he knew how to play other positions on the ground though.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Dickson is a different type of forward to Hunter.

Whilst Hunter is a pretty good crumbing player, who is very creative and agile in congestion (similar to Dahl) which allows him to push further up the field, Dickson is more of a traditional stay at home lead/mark medium forward. He isn't the type to consistently rack up 18+ disposals per game, nor does he need to be, but he has to find a way to stay involved (eg. constant movement to open up space behind him, as well as defensive pressure).

The challenge for Dickson is to narrow the gap between his best and worst. He is extremely good in one on one contests, but he goes missing too often. He is capable of kicking 4-6 goals in a game, the only other two players on our list capable of this are Dahlhaus and Crameri.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    I think Dickson is a different type of forward to Hunter.

Whilst Hunter is a pretty good crumbing player, who is very creative and agile in congestion (similar to Dahl) which allows him to push further up the field, Dickson is more of a traditional stay at home lead/mark medium forward. He isn't the type to consistently rack up 18+ disposals per game, nor does he need to be, but he has to find a way to stay involved (eg. constant movement to open up space behind him, as well as defensive pressure).

The challenge for Dickson is to narrow the gap between his best and worst. He is extremely good in one on one contests, but he goes missing too often. He is capable of kicking 4-6 goals in a game, the only other two players on our list capable of this are Dahlhaus and Crameri.
    And Grant. You're right Hunter is not competition for him but a forward line of Stringer, Crameri, Grant, Jones, Dahlhaus, Hunter (who for mine are all better players and who I see being more long-term) really limits his opportunities in the future.

I hope he can make a contribution over the next two seasons.

Post Thanks / Like

Will effectively be a Gia replacement. I would expect him to divide opinion just as much too.

Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Good news. We have so few players who can impact the scoreboard and Dickson is one who can.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, he looks a natural forward.
    The curse is dead.