Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  27
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Simon Dalrymple Performance Analysis

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Maybe we should have drafted Tom Dyson ( even john) ahead of Howard

John Dyson would fit into our defensive mentality perfectly well.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

2009 was simply a disaster. not even unlucky, just willfully reckless.
    2010 was the year of f/s and doesnt count, with no live picks until the 70s. Dal and JJ get a thumbs up for great rookie picks.
    2011 the jury is out. come back in 2016.
    2012 make or break. his two most important picks to date. he swings.... he smacks it out of the park!!!!
    2013 his 3rd most important pick. at pick #4, its a wide field. Boom, another home run! Still blinded by a kicker who cant play*, and takes Fuller, but at least its a 3rd rounder this time.
    2014 - if wright drops to 5, we trade our 2nd rounder for Jaksch, and our 3rd goes for Cordy, it could be largely out of Simons hands.

* note to recruiting deprtment: yes we need guys who can kick. No it doesnt matter if they can kick if they cant execute under pressure. No more deer in the headlights players, please!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefoid View Post
    2014 - if wright drops to 5, we trade our 2nd rounder for Jaksch, and our 3rd goes for Cordy, it could be largely out of Simons hands.
    This is a good point, every chance we'll be forced to take Cordy & Foster F/S in the national draft and trade one of our first 2 picks. We may get one back for Higgins though
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Agree, 2009 was poor with a better possible pick at every turn.
    2011 I think is on the smelly side. Smith is a first team footballer, but the other guys drafted (Talia, Dickson & Pearce) are borderline. Talia could make it. Dickson is good enough but needs to get his body right and Pearce is a fail.
    2012 - great draft......but if he had stuffed up picks 5 & 6 he wouldn't be a recruiter.....lucky in some respects that Melbourne took Toumpas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Agree, 2009 was poor with a better possible pick at every turn.
    2011 I think is on the smelly side. Smith is a first team footballer, but the other guys drafted (Talia, Dickson & Pearce) are borderline. Talia could make it. Dickson is good enough but needs to get his body right and Pearce is a fail.
    2012 - great draft......but if he had stuffed up picks 5 & 6 he wouldn't be a recruiter.....lucky in some respects that Melbourne took Toumpas
    Subsequent recruiting (Stringer, Crameri, Hunter, Hrovat & Honeychurch) has rather marginalised him on the list. But he was only pick 57, so no problem. Next year might be his last but a fair return on #57.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    Subsequent recruiting (Stringer, Crameri, Hunter, Hrovat & Honeychurch) has rather marginalised him on the list. But he was only pick 57, so no problem. Next year might be his last but a fair return on #57.
    Signed a 2 year deal. I agree with your logic, but he's been re-signed...
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

2009 was simply a disaster. not even unlucky, just willfully reckless.
    2010 was the year of f/s and doesnt count, with no live picks until the 70s. Dal and JJ get a thumbs up for great rookie picks.
    2011 the jury is out. come back in 2016.
    2012 make or break. his two most important picks to date. he swings.... he smacks it out of the park!!!!
    2013 his 3rd most important pick. at pick #4, its a wide field. Boom, another home run! Still blinded by a kicker who cant play*, and takes Fuller, but at least its a 3rd rounder this time.

* note to recruiting deprtment: yes we need guys who can kick. No it doesnt matter if they can kick if they cant execute under pressure. No more deer in the headlights players, please!!!!!
    Brilliant summation Stef, especially with regard to players with supposedly good disposal but who simply can't play the game at this level. We've drafted a number of these types since 2009 and they have all been unmitigated disasters. Dalrymple's 2009 effort was so horrendous and so extravagantly reckless, it has cast a shadow over the rest of his tenure. However, extreme kudos to him for his top 10 selections in the last 2 years - they have all been reach selections but he has backed himself without hesitation.

Post Thanks / Like

Have we ever. The attempt to replace harbrow/ Gilbee has been woeful.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope Simon has the courage again to go for the best available rather than to please the media and fans want for a panacea forward.With free agency, I believe we can get a really good forward once we climb into the 8 and I hope we don't panic buy.

10. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    I hope Simon has the courage again to go for the best available rather than to please the media and fans want for a panacea forward.With free agency, I believe we can get a really good forward once we climb into the 8 and I hope we don't panic buy.
    But can we expect to get to that position without at least one on our book ? As I see it, all teams in the eight have at least one, if not multiple, viable key position targets at their disposal.

Post Thanks / Like

Good for us then that there are talls around our pick that will be best available and we would be crazy not take for structural reasons.

Quayle reckons we dont want Jaksch or he doesnt want us (wasnt that clear with the twitter) but hes not coming to the WO.

Post Thanks / Like

Good for us then that there are talls around our pick that will be best available and we would be crazy not take for structural reasons.

Quayle reckons we dont want Jaksch or he doesnt want us (wasnt that clear with the twitter) but hes not coming to the WO.
    I grabbed this list from BF but just underlines my point on how important it is to get your pics right particularly in the first round no matter what style of player...
    2001 - Sam Power
    2002 - Tim Walsh
    2003 - Farren Ray
    2004 - Tom Williams
    2006 - Andrejs Everitt
    2007 - Jarrad Grant
    2008 - Ayce Cordy
    2009 - Christian Howard

To put it simply the poor drafting from Power in 01 to Grant in 07, was essentially the reason why we didn't get passed the prelim final stages for 3 years straight and 08 and 09 drafting , contributing factors for us getting close to the spoon.

Simon has been excellent over the last few years and if he thinks for say Laverde will be a better player than Durdin I hope he pulls the trigger...

Post Thanks / Like

Well that's that on Jaksch then. I never loved him anyway.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re. Darcy Moore

If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

I grabbed this list from BF but just underlines my point on how important it is to get your pics right particularly in the first round no matter what style of player...
    2001 - Sam Power
    2002 - Tim Walsh
    2003 - Farren Ray
    2004 - Tom Williams
    2006 - Andrejs Everitt
    2007 - Jarrad Grant
    2008 - Ayce Cordy
    2009 - Christian Howard

To put it simply the poor drafting from Power in 01 to Grant in 07, was essentially the reason why we didn't get passed the prelim final stages for 3 years straight and 08 and 09 drafting , contributing factors for us getting close to the spoon.

Simon has been excellent over the last few years and if he thinks for say Laverde will be a better player than Durdin I hope he pulls the trigger...
    yep, clayton stuffed that up right royally and so consistently too.

Power - can kick - can't play. (this is some kind of ongoing theme for us)
    Walsh - Im not even sure - just couldn't actually play? I don't remember ever seeing him play….
    Ray - This is a pass, it was a shocker of a draft.
    Tom Williams - what might have been if the poor guy wasn't an injury basket case. Ill give a pass.
    Everitt - high maintenance. One of claytons 'strange cats' from the stingrays.
    Grant - see Everitt

A couple of average players and the rest duds - not one elite player from a first round pick in 6 years.