• VFL quality

3 11.11%
  • Delist

0 0%
  • Needs more time

19 70.37%
    Post Thanks / Like

Rating our list 2020 Ben Cavarra 25

Polling continues to evaluate each player on our list starting with the highest number Lin Jong down to Matthew Suckling.
    The poll will run for a week and when your post in the poll if you can give a reason on your thoughts so we can share your insights.
    At the end we'll see how our list looks in the eyes of WOOF members.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

2. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rating our list 2020 Ben Cavarra 25

A few stats:
    Height: 173cm
    Weight: 72Kg
    Games: 2

A mature age recruit, Ben Cavarra's AFL dream became a reality after being selected with pick 45 overall (third round selection) in the 2018 NAB AFL Draft. A Morrish Medallist as a midfielder, Cavarra’s switch to a small forward in the past two seasons was rewarded with back-to-back VFL Team of the Year selections. Cavarra has impressed in the VFL in recent years, kicking 66.51 in his last two seasons for Williamstown. He claimed the Seagulls’ leading goalkicker award in 2017 and 2018. Injury interrupted Cavarra's first season on an AFL-list, making 12 VFL appearances for the Footscray Bulldogs in 2019. Cavarra is yet to make his AFL debut.

LINK
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

With time he may develop into a quality small forward. Kicked 2 and could have had 4 with a bit of luck.

Key with small forwards is what they do when things are not going their or the teams way, so to me he needs more time.

The problem I see with Cavarra is what is his point of difference. in 2016, Picko, Smith and McLean played as the smaller forwards.

Picko's strength was his marking ability and low centre of gravity which made him dangerous in the air and on the ground. He was no slouch with defensive efforts.

Smith was out forward bull. Gutsy, determined, hard at the football. A guy who made people stand taller. Probably had more impact in 50 or so games of football than most people have in twice or three times as much.

McLean, silky smooth agile forward, who runs to the right spots. Kicks well for goal.

All 3 had points of difference which meant that they earned their spot in the team. What does Cavarra bring that we don't already have?

Post Thanks / Like

Good post FK. Totally agree about Smith. That 2016 finals series from him was spectacular.

Back to Cavarra. One thing in his favour is his age. Both Dickson and Lloyd are over 30 thus in the twilight of their careers (obviously more so for Dickson). If he can continue to improve there is a definite spot on the list for him. It is hard to tell (from the TV) what his forward defensive pressure is like. If he can add that (if not already) to his game then I suspect he could cement a spot on our list. The good news for Cavarra is that it really is his for the taking in the next month or so.

Post Thanks / Like

I like what I see but am also swayed by the “great bloke” factor. From what I’ve seen he looks quick over short distances, desperate when the ball is in question and like he applies good pressure. He reminds me a little of early days Dahlhaus.

He clearly lacks a little polish but that’s to be expected at this stage and as his confidence grows I’m excited to see what he can bring.

Agree w WTLF above - the next month should be his shot.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd give him another year, too early to tell really.

I do think every list needs his "type" - a guy who had to fight for years outside of the normal pathway just to get his chance. A walking, breathing reminder every day of just how valuable a list spot is.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

8. Likes josie, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    I like what I see but am also swayed by the “great bloke” factor. From what I’ve seen he looks quick over short distances, desperate when the ball is in question and like he applies good pressure. He reminds me a little of early days Dahlhaus.

He clearly lacks a little polish but that’s to be expected at this stage and as his confidence grows I’m excited to see what he can bring.

Agree w WTLF above - the next month should be his shot.
    I think he could really do with showing the manic desperation that Dahl showed in his first season. He is a better kick than dahl was. To me he needs to be a pest and get involved and stuck in. That guys in the forward line who is in among it all the time.

Post Thanks / Like

I like his style. Winning the Morrish Medallist as a midfielder surely gives him a run on the ball from to time. Bevo would love that too.

Post Thanks / Like

Will be interesting to see how he goes for the remainder of the year.

Only thing that irked me about his performance against Adelaide was his attempt to snap a goal when he could've handballed to Wallis for a certain goal.

Can be drawn up to being hungry but also exposes a bit of selfishness.

Post Thanks / Like

I really like what I saw, possibly an answer to our small forward problems, really want to see some more game time put into him and will be filthy if he gets dropped this week.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

I voted needs more time, but to me needs more AFL game time to see what he is made of. Hopefully he gets a run at it in the next few weeks and we can see more of him. He is a mature player, hungry for goal and that is what you want in a small player. He needs to also make sure he keeps up his pressure acts.

Time will tell and it is all up to him as we are crying out for a small goal sneak.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    I think he could really do with showing the manic desperation that Dahl showed in his first season. He is a better kick than dahl was. To me he needs to be a pest and get involved and stuck in. That guys in the forward line who is in among it all the time.
    Agree. He was great last week in his pressure around the ball I thought. Want to see that effort brought consistently. Agree re. pest - he should be in everything and always tackling when they get their hands on it when possible

Post Thanks / Like

Too early to say, he needs more game time but theoretically he offers a lot that we have been crying out for.