Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  27
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Simon Dalrymple Performance Analysis

If we get one really good player and 2 good afl careers out of those picks he's a miracle worker.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    If we get one really good player and 2 good afl careers out of those picks he's a miracle worker.
    Should we count Zaine Cordy in that?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Should we count Zaine Cordy in that?
    We probably should.

One attribute Simon has shown is his ability to grab players late who have some areas of improvement, or lack a couple of qualities, but are otherwise capable of developing into AFL players. Some of his work in the rookie draft has been great, as well as late selections. Dahlhaus, JJ, Dickson, Jong, Campbell, Roberts, Honeychurch have all shown a bit at least, some a genuinely good players and a couple (Redpath, Greenwood and Prudden) may yet end up playing some senior footy for us.

Our picks this time round are quite a bit earlier than most of the above were taken. After that first 4 I think the next 20 blokes are fairly even and the draft bats OK depth wise down to about the 45 mark. We aren't going to get any highly touted players, but we should be able to get some strong talent onto the list and if we stick true to our recent philosophies (no idea if we will) we can walk away with some talented, driven players who will improve our competitiveness and depth.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Our picks this time round are quite a bit earlier than most of the above were taken. After that first 4 I think the next 20 blokes are fairly even and the draft bats OK depth wise down to about the 45 mark. We aren't going to get any highly touted players, but we should be able to get some strong talent onto the list and if we stick true to our recent philosophies (no idea if we will) we can walk away with some talented, driven players who will improve our competitiveness and depth.
    Agree with this.

We don't need to pluck a top 10 midfielder (or otherwise) with our picks. We need to pick good, quality role players. The reality is, even the best sides in the competition are filled with good solid players who simply play a role. When I look at Hawthorn, players like Brad Hill and Stratton are worth their weight in gold - neither were early picks, but both are great role players and as such have become an important part of that squad. If you took them out and put them in our side right now, they wouldn't look as good as they do now.

I think supporters forget this. Yes - you need high end quality on your list. We have that in Boyd, Bontempelli, Stringer, Macrae and Libba. They are/will be genuine superstars of the competition. We now need to support them with good quality role players, and typically these types come from the second and third rounds of a draft.

Bare in mind, we'll have a top 5 pick (or so) next year, so that's an opportunity to pick up a gun mid.

I'm confident Dalrymple can deliver.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

BUMP

12 months after this thread has been created, thought a good time to bump it.

2014 AFL Draft

(Note Pick 6 was traded for Tom Boyd)

Pick 26 - Toby McLean

Pick 27 - Lukas Webb

Pick 39 - Declan Hamilton

Pick 45 - Bailey Dale

Pick 46 - Caleb Daniel

Pick 62 - Father Son - Zaine Cordy

Rookie Draft

Pick 5 - Roarke Smith

Pick 23 - Jordan Kelly

Pick 40 - Daniel Pearch

Pick 57 - Brett Goodes
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Biggs & Hamling should be considered as well. 6 of the 9 main list recruits have played seniors already, looking good
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Of the 6 ND picks, 3 played AFL, the others named in bests in VFL. Can't ask for too much more stable this stage.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Biggs & Hamling should be considered as well. 6 of the 9 main list recruits have played seniors already, looking good
    Add in Tom Boyd too. Three recruits from other clubs, and all three played AFL. And we've been winning too.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I wasnt sure if to put in trades as they are not necessarily his call.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I wasnt sure if to put in trades as they are not necessarily his call.
    From memory the club put out a video last year or the year before with an interview with SD. He said the club ask for his opinion about trades in, ie what he thought of them as juniors and tracking development from where he saw them to where they were with their current club. Not sure how good is info on Boyd was as only GWS and Melbourne formally interviewed Tom. Lucky guess from SD!

11. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am interested in The Doctors thoughts 12 months on.

Doctor have you softened in your appraisal?

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know or have any info,observations or opinions on how Declan is tracking?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redders70 View Post
    Does anyone know or have any info,observations or opinions on how Declan is tracking?
    He's got serious footy smarts but may take time to adjust to senior footy
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

15. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redders70 View Post
    He's had a quiet patch for about 3 weeks now but there are times when he gets the ball and displays his skills that has me sitting back knowing we have a pretty good player. I'm more than happy to see him spend the season in the VFL because I think long term is he going to be a good one for us.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

17. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes Templeton31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    From memory the club put out a video last year or the year before with an interview with SD. He said the club ask for his opinion about trades in, ie what he thought of them as juniors and tracking development from where he saw them to where they were with their current club. Not sure how good is info on Boyd was as only GWS and Melbourne formally interviewed Tom. Lucky guess from SD!
    I can imagine his reaction when they said Tom Boyd might be a chance to be approached..............arms crossed, frown, raise of the eye brows and a non-committal "yeah I suppose that could help".

19. Likes Twodogs, boydogs liked this post