Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  27
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Simon Dalrymple Performance Analysis

Quote Originally Posted by redders70 View Post
    Does anyone know or have any info,observations or opinions on how Declan is tracking?

I heard he had a patch where he was a bit homesick but is over it now. Playing some good footy would have helped.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

2. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you think that this group of draftees may have got caught up in how well each other are doing and lifted their own expectations and output? McLean, Webb, Dale have all played and done well and Daniels is playing well for Footscray.

I think McLean and Dale would have seen Webb playing good footy in the seniors and thought "I can do that too" and adjusted their sights accordingly.

I wonder if Dalrymple thought that might happen if he bought four players in to compete for spots performing a similar role?

Post Thanks / Like

Success breeds success across all levels.

Whilst I think your point is valid, I'm more interested in the influence this newest group's output will have on the 20-24 year olds on our list. There's going to be some concerted efforts across the board to keep them out.

It will be up to the coaches to ensure this results in positive changes in our club culture.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Success breeds success across all levels.

Whilst I think your point is valid, I'm more interested in the influence this newest group's output will have on the 20-24 year olds on our list. There's going to be some concerted efforts across the board to keep them out.

It will be up to the coaches to ensure this results in positive changes in our club culture.
    It's an interesting point. I'd love to be present for those exchanges.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I am interested in The Doctors thoughts 12 months on.

Doctor have you softened in your appraisal?
    I stand by all my previous comments but keep an open mind.

I was very happy with the first 2 picks in the last draft (McLean, Webb) and had hoped we might get one of them pre-draft. The other boys look like they can play which is most pleasing. I'm hoping all boys from the 2014 draft debut this year.

My question from this draft is, did we need to add so many small players? We already had an army of midgets. I would have liked us to recruit a young ruckman, or a kp type, or a dasher with the later picks to give us a more varied bunch. However, I feel this is one of his better drafts, if not his best, given the starting position.

I'm looking forward to this year's draft and really hope we retain our picks. This will be a very challenging draft but there are some very good taller types. It will be interesting to see what he does.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

7. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think size is an issue .
    Look at Collingwood, got a few smaller types who are good overhead.
    On exposed form you'd say we didn't need to recruit a Key back with Roberts coming on .
    We recruited Hamling and Cordy as key backs anyway.
    We do need a ruckman, but drafting one would have taken a number of years to come through .

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting points Doc on the smaller players. I think his 2014 batch are a lot more skilled and strong overhead than the previous batch.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

While we did pick up multiple sub 190cm players in the draft, we also brought in 2 x 194cm defenders (Cordy and Hamling) and 200cm key forward during the off season.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    My question from this draft is, did we need to add so many small players?
    Are you overlooking Hamling, Boyd & Cordy?
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Are you overlooking Hamling, Boyd & Cordy?
    No as this thread has got nothing to do with who we recruit from other clubs and what happens in the trade period. The focus is Dalrymple's performance at the draft.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

13. Likes bulldogtragic, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No as this thread has got nothing to do with who we recruit from other clubs and what happens in the trade period. The focus is Dalrymple's performance at the draft.
    Surely on draft day they are also factoring who else is on the list.

On that basis the players traded in must count. Additionally Cordy MUST be considered as the decision to take at the pick we did was the recruiters responsibility, as was the decision not to put Jayden Foster forward as a father/son.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post

On that basis the players traded in must count. Additionally Cordy MUST be considered as the decision to take at the pick we did was the recruiters responsibility, as was the decision not to put Jayden Foster forward as a father/son.
    Agreed.

If we didn't bring in Hamling, I dare say we'd have chosen a tall in the draft.

Same with choosing to lock Cordy away.

You can't assess draft picks in isolation without considering the players brought in in the proceeding trade period.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

16. Likes bornadog, boydogs, SlimPickens liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post

This was a complete knee jerk thread to begin with .
    The bloke had his arm tied behind his back with the expansion clubs piliging the draft, and added in he was part time!!

Post Thanks / Like

I stand by all my previous comments but keep an open mind.

I was very happy with the first 2 picks in the last draft (McLean, Webb) and had hoped we might get one of them pre-draft. The other boys look like they can play which is most pleasing. I'm hoping all boys from the 2014 draft debut this year.

My question from this draft is, did we need to add so many small players? We already had an army of midgets. I would have liked us to recruit a young ruckman, or a kp type, or a dasher with the later picks to give us a more varied bunch. However, I feel this is one of his better drafts, if not his best, given the starting position.

I'm looking forward to this year's draft and really hope we retain our picks. This will be a very challenging draft but there are some very good taller types. It will be interesting to see what he does.
    Do you think perhaps that questions over Smith, Hunter and Hrovat (all for different reasons) may have had an influence on our list management decisions leading into the draft?

I can certainly make a case for sourcing a contingency for Smith, as at the time he was sitting on two reconstructions. Possibly we felt that Hrovat and Hunter have question marks over their ability to cut it at senior level having watched them for a couple of years.

What I think we'll find after this draft is that we have added more outside polish than we as onlookers thought we may have at the time, which was a really big priority for a lot of posters. All of Dale, Webb and McLean look to have this as significant attributes, while Hamilton possibly presents them as well.

What I'm really happy about however, is the fact that we look to have placed an emphasis on pure football talent. We haven't done that as a club very often which is strange, as for the most part teams with the most talent win more games.

Post Thanks / Like

If we didn't get Hamling, Cordy & Boyd we may have drafted Jayden Foster, Oscar McDonald & Reece McKenzie
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff