Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  27
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Simon Dalrymple Performance Analysis

Given the the performance of this years draftees, and taking a look at each of his drafts, each looks better than the last (coming off a very low base in 2009 where he was working part time or something?).

So hes improving. Im happy with that. And I reckon if you must target needs you use a 1st round pick to do it, and take a best-available with lesser picks, so Im happy with 2014 - they can all play, and we got Boyd, Hamling and Deuce to address needs anyway.

We trade or draft a tall/quick with our 1st pick this year, and go best available again after that, IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

As an aside, interesting to hear that SD is on the 8 man panel that selects the U/18 All Australian team which is announced tomorrow.

Not that we could have used that as a guide in past years with our preference for bolters and smokies (Webb, McLean, Dale, Hamilton, Bontempelli etc).
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Bump. If I could have been at the game, I would have made a DALRYMPLE banner.
    His selection of Bont for his unusual dimensions for a midfielder, Caleb for his smarts, and other out of the box selections have been on the money. Deserves his own medal.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Bump. If I could have been at the game, I would have made a DALRYMPLE banner.
    His selection of Bont for his unusual dimensions for a midfielder, Caleb for his smarts, and other out of the box selections have been on the money. Deserves his own medal.
    3 of his six draftees from 2 years back played yesterday with just Webb, Hamilton and Dale missing and we can also add the recruitment of Shane Biggs to the mix. That is some serious fast tracking of players within our development programme.

Biggs played 26 games this season and pushed forward for 4 goals.

It's not just Dalrymple but he and J-Mac are the architects of a great recruitment and identification process.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

5. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great work JMAC too. So many people behind the scenes I love to hear about.
    (I am glad also, that other McCartney was mentioned in a few articles in a positive light, in context of his tightening of the NDH policy.
    His tenure wasn't all bad and certainly demanded a harder edge to our inside work. )

Funny to think while our boys are celebrating, SD and JMac are sharpening their pencils, about to prepare to go to work on finding new players, their busiest time of the year.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

7. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bumped into MaCartney on the plane to the grand final wearing a Bulldogs hat. He nodded at me and smiled so I tapped him on the shoulder at told him we still think he is a Bulldogs legend and thanked him for toughening up the boys. He was very grateful

9. Likes The Doctor, boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I mentioned in another thread, that I was sitting close to Dalrymple in Sydney at the prelim, and in the euphoria of the final siren I told him he was a genius (possibly with an expletive in front of it!)

But I tell you what.....this premiership is a nightmare for draft picks

Post Thanks / Like

This draft will give SD his lowest draft selection since the pick used on Marcus Bontempelli.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

12. Thanks hujsh, N/A thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Many argue that the job of the recruiting manager is the most important in the AFL. Unless I'm mistaken, all clubs expect, the person in charge of their recruiting has the job of delivering to the club players that will eventually win them a premiership.

Let's turn the spotlight on Simon Dalrymple, Recruiting Manager, of the Western Bulldogs. How well has he performed in his 5 years in this role at the club and whether he has delivered players that will form the nucleus of a premiership winning team. Surely that is enough time to decide whether his selections earn him an appraisal that warrants his retention in this critical role or not.

The following are Simon Dalrymple's selections at each respective draft since his appointment;

Father/Sons
    Mitchell Wallis (pick 22, 2010)
    Thomas Liberatore (41/2010)
    Lachlan Hunter (49/2012)

I have intentionally highlighted & excluded father/sons from the following analysis as they are players we have had first access to. PLayers we have been able to monitor, access exclusively to other clubs (or as some say gifted to us) and form decisions well in advance of their recruitment.

The following focus's on Simon Dalrymple's live selections ;

In total

34 selections - 18 National Draft selections, 1 pre season draft selection & 15 rookie draft selections

2009 National Draft
    15. Christian Howard
    31. Jason Tutt
    63. Lukas Markovic
    76. Shane Thorne

Rookies
    19. Brodie Moles
    35. Andrew Hooper
    48. Matthew Panos
    59. Eddie Prato
    68. Patrick Rose

2010 National Draft
    74. Jayden Schofield
    88. Zephaniah Skinner
    89. Tom Hill

Rookies
    22. Luke Dahlhaus
    39. Jason Johannisen
    55. Ed Barlow
    70. Mitch Hahn

2011 National Draft
    17. Clay Smith
    39. Michael Talia
    49. Daniel Pearce
    57. Tory Dickson

Pre-Season Draft
    11. Fletcher Roberts

Rookies
    9. Lin Jong
    27. Tom Campbell
    45. Alex Greenwood
    62. Jack Redpath
    76. Mark Austin

2012 National Draft
    5. Jake Stringer
    6. Jackson Macrae
    21. Nathan Hrovat
    50. Joshua Prudden

Rookies
    4. Brett Goodes

2013 National Draft
    4. Marcus Bontempelli
    42. Matthew Fuller
    60. Mitch Honeychurch

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In the following discussion I would like to ackowledge the following;

Some selections, to my knowledge, may have been influenced by coaches (Eade or Macartney). Possibly including but not limited to;

RD 70. Mitch Hahn
    ND 57. Tory Dickson
    RD 27. Tom Campbell
    RD 62. Jack Redpath
    RD 4. Brett Goodes

Whether or not these players were recruited at the request of the coach or someone else in the football dept, the Recruiting Manager has the responsibility to argue the case, for or against, based on the players options he has to chose instead.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Key Observations

* From the 09/10 drafts only 4 of 16 players remain listed, these are; Howard, Tutt, Dahlhaus & Johannisen.

- Only 1, Dahlhaus has established himself as a regular AFL player

- Only 1 player (Tutt) in the 2 national drafts was chosen from the elite national pathway. And he was from the 2nd tier competition.

- 3 of these are midgets (180cm or below) & 1 suburban footballer (Howard)

- Howard was chosen in the first round, ahead of players who were proven elite players recognised in the elite national pathway, including; Ben Griffiths, Nat Fyfe, Ryan Bastinac, Jake Carlisle, Aaron Black, Mitch Duncan, Jack Gunston, all proven players through the elite national pathway and/or state leagues

- Tutt was chosen ahead of others in the National Draft (ND) OR rookie draft (RD) including; Sam Reid, Allen Christensen, Nat Vardy, Ben Stratton, Jake Fitzpatrick, Taylor Duryea, Ben Howlett, Matthew Wright, Stewart Crameri, Levi Casboult, Matthew Jaensch, James Podsiadly,

Questions - On what basis was Howard chosen as the 15th best player in the country when he was deemed not good enough to play for his state at u/18 level, nor invited to the ND camp. or State camp?
    - On what basis was Howard chosen ahead of even Tutt?
    - On what basis was Schofield, Skinner and Hill chosen ahead of Dahlhaus when Dahlhaus was an excellent player for Vic country at u/18 level and the others did not play rep football that year.

* An inability to select Small Defenders – 8 have been chosen. These include; Howard, Tutt, Schofield, Johannisen, Pearce, Jong, Goodes, Fuller.

- None have established themselves as an AFL player

- Current mainstay small defenders in the team are Picken, Murphy, Wood, Higgins. All recruited previously

* Midgets 10 in total - Tutt, Hooper, Schofield, Dahlhaus, Johannisen, Pearce, Greenwood, Fuller, Hrovat, Honeychurch

Here is some interesting information;
    http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1226650225771

* State League Recruits – 14 in total; Lukas Markovic, Shane Thorne, Brodie Moles, Eddie Prato, Pat Rose, Zeph Skinner, Ed Barlow, Mitch Hahn, Tory Dickson, Tom Campbell, Jack Redpath, Mark Austin, Brett Goodes, Matthew Fuller

- It is likely that all 14 will not make it as good AFL players

- Between the State League Recruits and the Midgets 23 out of 34 have been recruited almost 75% of Dalrymples recruits yet very few are likely to mske it as an AFL player

* Inability to Select Key Position Players;

- Only 4 Key forwards selected overall; Panos, Hill, Redpath & Roberts.
    - Only key forward selected in the ND, Tom Hill at pick 89. Then 1 in the PSD & 2 in the RD.
    - Only 2 ruckmen selected overall and both in the rookie draft (Prato & Campbell)
    - Prato, a former basketballer, had hardly played any competitive football
    - Only 1 key defender chosen (Talia) inside first 3 rounds of ND.
    - Ovarall in 5 years only 1 KP player chosen in the first 2 rounds of the ND

- Current KP's Minson, Morris, Roughead all recruited previously with, aside from Talia, Jones and Cordy the next in line option

Other Observations

- No Players with genuine pace have made it
    - No players with elite kicking skill have made it
    - Since Mcartney became coach emphasis on the 1st round selections on larger midfield capable types (Smith, Stringer, Macrae, Bontempelli)
    - Limited use of rookie list in Macartney era

I could add more but it's 3am and I've worried enough about the Dogs for one night. Make up your own mind about whether Simon Dalrymple will recruit the players the Bulldogs need to win a premierhip. I have.
    Bump:

Toby McLean (Premiership Player)
    Lukas Webb
    Declan Hamilton
    Bailey Dale
    Caleb Daniel (Premiership Player)
    Zaine Cordy (Premiership Player)

Rookies: Roarke Smith (GF emergency), Jordan Kelly (D), Daniel Pearce (D), Brett Goodes (D)

Josh Dunkley (Premiership Player)
    Keiran Collins
    Marcus Adams
    Bailey Williams

Rookies: Brad Lynch, Luke Goetz (D), Jed Adcock (D)

Tim English
    Pat Lipinski
    Young
    Fergus Greene

Rookies: Nathan MM, Josh Prudden, Tristan Tweedie

Well, the last three draft since The Doctors great in-depth analysis we've not had a live pick inside 18 (English a bit later with bidding). It certainly seems like an amazing period of drafting to get some very high quality, without top end picks.

Good: Our scouts in SA & WA have provided some good Intel. Not sure if they're new scouts. Hamilton & Young, but in particular Daniel & Williams out of SA into/past the third round is good going. Adams & English out of WA will be good long term players, if we can sign Adams up.

Right Calls: Dal has had to make father/son calls on Foster (Carlton, then delisted), MacPherson (GCS, a long way back in the queue) & Romero. It looks like he made the right 'pass' call on all three.

Not quite as good: Our rookie list strategy. Kelly would be at best an average country league player & Goetz was a waste owing to himself. Depth players in Pearce, Goodes & Adcock provided very little. Hopefully Prudden changes this trend. If Roarke can get back that's a win, however, Lynch is a jet and we'll see how NMM & Tweedie go.

So since The Doctor gave us this thread, we have looked to address both the KPP & ruck through trade and draft. The balance seems to be getting a lot better. In the last three years I'd say Dal has spun gold from the middle and end of the draft. But I'm still unsure that the rookie list strategy is being used to maximum advantage. Historically we've recruited amazing players from the rookie draft, but using our picks on short term depth players who haven't really played that many games blocks us from finding exciting talent in the RD. Overall, Dalrymple deserves the plaudits he gets from all areas, after a slow start.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Time for Dalrymple to invest in some goal scoring threats. Conversion is such a critical element of footy and it's our biggest hole at the moment, with few prospects coming through that I'd rate as natural forwards (Greene and Lipinski look the goods).
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Dalrymple's record

2009, 2010 - fail in National draft
    2011 - 4 picks, Clay and Dickson - 50% success
    2012 - 4 picks with only Prudden doubtful, but could make it.
    2013 - 3 picks - 1 success -nailed The Bont
    2014 - 6 picks - 3 success, doubts on Webb, Hamilton and Dale.
    2015 - 4 picks - all looking good so far, Collins is young and could make it.
    2016 - unknown.

Rookies have saved our bacon
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

but the rookies are him too right?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    but the rookies are him too right?
    His decision in the end. I read an article about how he really had to fight to take both JJ and Dahlhaus in the same rookie draft. The footy dept. was saying "oh look, you can have one pick for your secret dwarf project that you seem to be obsessed with. You will have to choose one or the other" they wanted him to take a safe reject from another club that would play ten or fifteen games the following year, not two teenagers under six foot who might make it five years down the track.

But Dalrymple, who had no stones at this stage, argued his case well enough for the footy department to back off and let him have both his players and the footy department only got cheesy Barlow (what was his actual name?) and Mitch Hahn.

That's what the guts of the article said so it sounds like the footy department had a fair bit of input in 2011.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

18. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Simon has been with us since 2007. He is a loyal employee of our Club. His recent signing was terrific news as there were a number of other Clubs interested.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Dalrymple's record

2009, 2010 - fail in National draft
    2011 - 4 picks, Clay and Dickson - 50% success
    2012 - 4 picks with only Prudden doubtful, but could make it.
    2013 - 3 picks - 1 success -nailed The Bont
    2014 - 6 picks - 3 success, doubts on Webb, Hamilton and Dale.
    2015 - 4 picks - all looking good so far, Collins is young and could make it.
    2016 - unknown.

Rookies have saved our bacon
    I think he's done ok overall, looking at the Premiership Team he's certainly an architect (Bold are his picks, or *decisions that would've had his involvement):

B: M. Boyd Roberts *Biggs
    HB: Wood *Hamling JJ
    C: Hunter Libba Macrae
    HF: Stringer Cordy McLean
    F: Smith *T. Boyd Dickson
    R: Roughead Dahl Bonts
    Int: Dunkley Daniel Picken Morris
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 09-05-2017 at 02:04 PM.

21. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes Twodogs liked this post