Thanks Thanks:  110
Likes Likes:  908
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: ASADA issues show-cause notices to Essendon players

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Yep no medal for that year. In the Tour they also take away any stage wins as well as the race if you dope and win.

If I was Mitchell or Cotchin I wouldn't particularly want Jobe's sloppy second Brownlow anyway.

Retrospectively suspending Watson would solve the AFEL's problem.
    Also the premierships stripped from Melbourne Storm. Record books have no premier in those years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    A very good point. If nothing else, they should go back to all of the games where he accrued votes and shift everyone up a place ie If he polled three votes then the player who polled two gets awarded three and the player that was awarded one gets bumped up to two.

Edit: Just went back and looked through the 2012 count, shifting players up votes would not change the finishing positions of those below him.
    If they pursued this course, they would have to shift players votes up for all votes won by any of the banned EFC players. In some games, this'd be all 6 votes. Not really practical. I agree with those who say that the Brownlow for the year just becomes an asterisk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    If they pursued this course, they would have to shift players votes up for all votes won by any of the banned EFC players. In some games, this'd be all 6 votes. Not really practical. I agree with those who say that the Brownlow for the year just becomes an asterisk.
    Stained for eternity
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a circus to the very end.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...12-gs0hco.html
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    If he keeps it, I want Gordo to bang on about Chris Grant being given one. At the Grand Final presser, Gordo actually brought up the issue of Chris Grant's Brownlow, or should've been. So Gordo is onto it.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    FFS. The guy is now a convicted drug cheat, and he gets to argue why he should keep a best and FAIREST medal?

Why is that even a thing?!?!?
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

7. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daughter of the West View Post
    FFS. The guy is now a convicted drug cheat, and he gets to argue why he should keep a best and FAIREST medal?

Why is that even a thing?!?!?
    Don't worry, he lost his phone and the AFL will let him keep the Brownlow.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

9. Likes Daughter of the West, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If Essendon use their 1st pick to bid for the GWS and GC academy players then he can keep it as a reward.

11. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    If Essendon use their 1st pick to bid for the GWS and GC academy players then he can keep it as a reward.

I know how I would like to see their first pick used. Straight up their jacksie
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fascist tribunal

"The SFT determined that since the players did not formally challenge the jurisdiction of CAS during the arbitration procedure and accepted the application of the CAS Rules (including the rule providing for a de novo hearing (i.e. for a procedure allowing the CAS to conduct a full review of the case), they had lost their right to challenge the CAS jurisdiction in appeal.

I always said the only way to win this was to go WADA and CAS *!*!*!*!ing hard and destroy one or the other (like the Russians are doing-WADA will regret picking that fight) but the AFEL wimped it majorly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Possibly a question for a thread of its own, but if Watson has his medal taken off him does it automatically go to runners up Mitchell and Cotchin?

I’m not convinced it does. It’s not as simple as Watson finished a race first, and if he wasn’t a drug cheat, Mitchell and Cotchin would’ve finished ahead of him. Watson was playing games while doping which means players who were competing fairly missed opportunities to gain the votes that he shouldn’t have received. Who’s to say if Watson hadn’t doped, Ablett or Swan wouldn’t have be awarded the votes he got and went on to win, with Mitchell and Cotchin still finishing 2nd? Hawthorn only played Essendon once, where Collingwood played them twice. Watson interfered with the final result and in doing so corrupted the entire event.

I’m of the view he gets stripped of the award and no winner is declared.
    It's a moot point however as suspended players can still receive votes. I guess the other thing that would also need to be factored in to your point is that other suspended Essendon players would have received votes throughout the year which may have affected the outcome.

So with that considered, no one gets the award IMO.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickens View Post
    It's a moot point however as suspended players can still receive votes. I guess the other thing that would also need to be factored in to your point is that other suspended Essendon players would have received votes throughout the year which may have affected the outcome.

So with that considered, no one gets the award IMO.
    Suspended players can get votes................but they can't win the Brownlow.
    Having Jobe Watson going before a panel to argue his case is truly bizarre
    It should be automatic and immediate.

16. Likes Scraggers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    It's the stupidest decision anyone could come up with,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    Equally as bizarre they asked Cotchin and Mitchell to go before the panel and argue FOR receiving the Brownlow. Needless to say they said no.

The AFL is a truly *!*!*!*!ed up organisation.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Equally as bizarre they asked Cotchin and Mitchell to go before the panel and argue FOR receiving the Brownlow. Needless to say they said no.

The AFL is a truly *!*!*!*!ed up organisation.
    The AFL want the easy out. "No, No Gil we couldn't possibly accept this medal. Why not let Jobe keep it!"
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"