Thanks Thanks:  34
Likes Likes:  341

Thread: The Rumour Mill

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Rumour Mill

Gee we are going to have a massive amount of free space in the cap. No doubt we will be offering Lynch/Cameron/Carlisle 1mill deals going forward. Interesting times at the Kennel....

If we do loose Coons though id like us to pick up at least one best 22 player this trade period for balance. It makes sense now why we had a crack at Greenwood.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe we would pass on this trade and Higgins trade with our first draft to Melbourne to get their 3rd draft choice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Gee we are going to have a massive amount of free space in the cap. No doubt we will be offering Lynch/Cameron/Carlisle 1mill deals going forward. Interesting times at the Kennel....

If we do loose Coons though id like us to pick up at least one best 22 player this trade period for balance. It makes sense now why we had a crack at Greenwood.
    Not sure he would have been on a huge wage as I think he would have taken a drop in wage.
    With regards to him being traded my heart says don't do it but my head says it is smart as he is shot and plays in fits and spurts now.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd trade him ( sounds like he wants out anyway, but who knows)
    That deal needs a bit more currency on our side of the equation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    BAD's going to have a fit when he reads this:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...07-10rlob.html

Cooney, Jones and pick 45 in return for Carlton's pick 28 being mooted.

We must really think Cooney's had it as far as we're concerned, must have been a pretty harsh exit interview.
    Ridiculous and will not even imagine it to be true.

Post Thanks / Like

Are we trying to satisfy someone higher up on the draft table?

Post Thanks / Like

This is Brian Lake all over again. We got bugger all for him and we'll get bugger all for Cooney and Jones if this is not speculation. I'm happy to explore options with Cooney but this is unders, big time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    This is Brian Lake all over again. We got bugger all for him and we'll get bugger all for Cooney and Jones if this is not speculation. I'm happy to explore options with Cooney but this is unders, big time.
    We got Hrovat and Stevens for Lake, great trade actually 2 players with ten years in them, if we didn't trade that year we would have got nothing the next year as he was a free agent.
    I wish it's the Lake trade all over again.
    Bring back the biff

9. Likes chef, N/A, boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Been done to death, but we made did great from that trade(Stevens and Hrovat). Hope we can do more like them.
    The curse is dead.

11. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We must really think Cooney's had it as far as we're concerned, must have been a pretty harsh exit interview.
    I'd be fine with this trade.

Cooneys just about shot with probs a season left in him and Jones isnt of AFL quality IMO and with Cordy going at 61 we can be a bit more flexible with pick 45.

I guess a lot depends on how Dalrymple rates the top 30, this would give us 4 picks which would be awesome.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

The overlooked aspect of the article is that Cooney is a free agent after next year, so it comes down to how much is one year of Cooney worth in that deal? I still feel like we're getting unders but it also kind of depends how important that pick 28 is in the broader context of the trade period and what we can use it for.
    Having followed US sports for a while, the value of a trade is often affected by the length and value of the contract being traded. Unfortunately that's the world that AFL football has moved towards. I wonder how scientifically we've valued the picks and their worth against the value of players. Systems have developed in the US to value draft picks, hopefully we're ahead of the curve in that area and not just throwing shit at a dart board.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

14. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe this is less about what we get and more about Coons and the club not being on the same page. Seems a line in the sand has been drawn and unless you care prepared to play a certain way you won't be at the club. This year may be a defining moment of the club and a new ruthless , uncompromising operation might emerge

16. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That trade minus Cooney is what I would be hoping to get for Jones and Tutt. Those two plus 45 for pick 28.

With Cooney in there it's practically giving him away for free.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe I didn't receive any likes for posting that article.

19. Likes N/A, Dry Rot, Drunken Bum, Twodogs, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Essentially Cooney would be traded for nothing or very little which raises list management questions not just trade questions. I understand the general principle of move em on if they're not happy, but this requires a question as to why contract him to two years last year? His knees were just as shot and year by year should've been done. At least FA compo last year or this year would've been more this year than nothing as it could stand. I know it's hindsight, but all the Macca hysteria was around offering a contract extension, and it saving him (and the other white noise). It was fairly good odds either his knees or form would drop off. So if he now wants out for bugger all it would be disappointing beyond simply move him on.
    Agree. This trade, as it's stated currently, is horrible. Cooney has diminishing value, but you're right in that Cooney is essentially being traded for free - in fact, we're paying for him to be traded by the late swap to Carlton. WTF. If it was Jones and Cooney for pick 28 then i could live with that much better than giving them a pick back in the late 40's.