Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Tutt's Column: My best moment so far

http://m.westernbulldogs.com.au/news...-moment-so-far

As published in the 25 June, 2014 edition of the Star Weekly, below is the first installment of a regular player guest column, this week penned by Jason Tutt.

Playing my under-18 year with the NSW-ACT Rams in the national championships, I found myself on a half-back flank and getting coaching advice from Western Bulldogs’ 300-game Hall of Famer Rohan Smith.

Throughout that championship campaign I listened to every piece of advice Rohan had for me in his role as Rams’ backline coach. He’d often tell me to take the game on with my run-and-carry ability and back myself with my skills.

These are the exact words that rang in my ears at half-time against Collingwood recently.

I have no doubt Rohan’s coaching in those national championships landed me at the Western Bulldogs with pick 31 in the 2009 national draft. But it was his influence after I was drafted that has had the most impact.

After I was drafted, I found myself at Rohan’s house in the western suburbs of Melbourne about to embark on my first preseason at the club. He’d invited me to stay with him until the footy club sorted out a suitable host family for me to live with.

What started out as a couple of weeks’ stay ended up being a full year.

At half-time against the Pies, Rohan approached me and urged me to take the game on, back myself and play a role in what would be a significant win for our club.

He had a look in his eyes that gave me so much confidence in myself and I knew I could play a part in a win for our great club.

After the game, he gave me a hug and said he was proud of me. I didn’t want to let him down, and for him to say he was proud of me was one of the best moments I’ve had in my short career.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tutt's Column: My best moment so far

Great to get some love for our assistant coaches. So in a sense, Rohan Smith helped kick that final goal. A great endorsement for Rohan.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Great to get some love for our assistant coaches. So in a sense, Rohan Smith helped kick that final goal. A great endorsement for Rohan.
    Confidence plays a very important role in all facets of life.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work from King Tutt there. Very heartfelt, I am looking forward to seeing him continue to develop as a senior AFL footballer. He has the ability and from what I have seen of him at both VFL / AFL is not found wanting in terms of his elite skill set at either level. There are very few substitutes for speed and goal sense. He has both, we have very little on our list at this point in time.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a great little story, +1 for Tutty.

Post Thanks / Like

Thinking about it now, do we of the guys now playing have anyone that would put the acid on a kid and demand more of them than the current out put on the day.

I'm thinking back to when we had Smith, Jonno, Liibba, Romero & Darcy out on the park. They had no issue leading from the front and looking you in the eye and getting more out of others.
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper Bulldogs View Post
    Thinking about it now, do we of the guys now playing have anyone that would put the acid on a kid and demand more of them than the current out put on the day.
    Certainly Gia.
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

As published in the 02 July 2014 edition of the Star Weekly, below is an installment of a regular player guest column, this week penned by Tory Dickson.

All my life, all I ever wanted to be was a professional footballer. From kicks with my dad at the park, to now playing at Etihad Stadium and the MCG, that passion I felt when picking up my first football hasn’t changed.

Life has certainly thrown me a few curve balls, but nothing has proven more challenging or rewarding than being a dad.

I’d be lying if I said it was easy, juggling the life of a professional athlete and being a single dad to my son. But to tell you the truth, I wouldn’t change a thing.

I admit that sometimes life as a professional footballer is tough, whether it’s not getting 100 per cent out of myself and how frustrating that can be or receiving direct feedback from my coaches or even the criticism from media.

But after a hard day on the pitch or feeling disappointed in a performance, nothing gets me up more than hearing: “Hey, dad, how was your day?” when I pick my son up from school.

My pathway to the Western Bulldogs is not the one commonly taken. Just two years prior to being drafted, I was playing suburban football. Becoming a professional athlete, although a boyhood dream, was the furthest thing from my mind.

If it wasn’t for then-Bendigo Bombers coach and current Western Bulldogs forward coach Shannon Grant, I may not have even been playing footy.

He convinced me to have one more crack and I’m glad I did. I owe everything to Shannon, along with Brendan McCartney for taking the chance on a 24-year-old forward from Berwick.

It’s been really exciting playing against the best footballers in the nation and I feel extremely fortunate to be where I am, playing for the mighty red, white and blue.
    http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/ne...d-and-football

Post Thanks / Like

Challenging for Tory being a single Dad. Good luck to the lad, with footy and his personal life. I've heard him interviewed and he is definitely in the "really good person" category this Club prides itself on. Hope he becomes a regular goal kicker in the senior's upon his return from injury. All the Best Tory !!
    Josie :)

Our day will come
    And we'll have everything.
    We'll share the joy
    Just like '54 again.