Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Best ever Bulldog that plays short/tall?

Was watching Dale Morris the other week winning contest after contest on opponents of all sizes and it got me thinking. Is the great 38 the best we've had who can play the priceless roll of playing short and tall?

Discuss.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best ever Bulldog that plays short/tall?

Another nomination Steve Kretiuk.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

EJ & BJ. Bar none.

EJ could play any position on the ground. ANY position. Just a freak athlete. Would just land on his feet from a marking contest, fully balanced and pounce sideways with a spring. Cat like. Very powerful body core. Big backside, basically. A lot of the footage of EJ was shot in his latter career when he was bulkier, a bit slower and more of a body player with a lot of presence ad skill, but in his earlier days, he was ridiculously athletic and, of course, skilled.

Meanwhile, Brad Johnson was the best one-on-one footballer in the AFL circa 2005-2008. Just a tough, tough match up for any defender. Those good enough to go with him at ground level would invariably struggle against him overhead, whilst those who could go with him overhead couldn't do so at ground level.

And Johnno knew how to exploit either advantage beautifully. Clever player and a clever trainer, because he developed himself into having that capability. Add to that the fact that he could also play an elite midfielder's role and he was some player.

The other one to mention is Bernie Quinlan. Actually not great overhead, but rarely outmarked. Then at ground level, almost always superior to similar sized players. Of course became a great lead up mark and goal kicker at Fitzroy. Polly Purser was also the best short ruckman I've seen.

Post Thanks / Like

I reckon Brian Royal's debut year in 1983 is the best debut year Ive seen. He didn't play a bad game that year. Won the B&F.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Matthew Croft always seemed to be playing on blokes bigger than him.

Post Thanks / Like

Shaggy went ok, but I think Dale has him covered. Hard to go past Ted and Brad as Webby rightfully pointed out.

Unfortunately a lack of resources over the years has meant that we have a lot of defenders in particular that fit into this category.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

190+cm and good size and aerobatic capacity... Front, back, middle... Bonts very soon.

All of the above, Robbins seemed bigger than 178cm .
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Nathan Brown played virtually as a full forward in his last couple of years with us. Did pretty well at it the year he actually tried too.

Post Thanks / Like

Jim Edmond was a great mark for his size

Post Thanks / Like

Brad Johnson.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Nathan Brown played virtually as a full forward in his last couple of years with us. Did pretty well at it the year he actually tried too.
    You're a far more benevolent man than me, Twodogs! I just couldn't bring myself to direct any praise whatsoever to that Judas, even if it may be legitimate!! Just can't stand him, and his more and more frequent appearances on Channel 9 are really getting on my nerves!

Someone pointed out Jock Edmond. That was a good get. He kind of had to plug the CHF role when KT went down and did far better there than a man of his height had any right to do. So much so that he filled the role for four or so years. Chocco Royal was a good one that someone mentioned, too. For an instant, I thought "What?.. Chocco Royal playing tall? He was 5ft 3! But then I recalled his later years. He was a pure rover who moved into a forward pocket in the early '90's after his injury troubles. Like a mini-Johnno, he was surprisingly good overhead and very clever around goal. A reliable shot at goal and just a class footballer.

Post Thanks / Like

Johnno for me, as has already been said he was rarely beaten in a one on one no matter what his opponents size.

Always thought our backline when it consisted of Croft, Ellis and Kretiuk was undersize and did a great job of playing well above their respective heights.

Andrew Purser was only 6' 3" and was a quality ruckman for us.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

I reckon Brian Royal's debut year in 1983 is the best debut year Ive seen. He didn't play a bad game that year. Won the B&F.
    Disgracefully wasn't named "recruit of the year" either.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes it was a beauty. I went to the Best & Fairest that year. It was held in a popular Reception Place in Barkly st West Footscray...can't remember its name. Choco had a skinful.

Post Thanks / Like

501 Receptions. It's still there.