Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Shaun Higgins to wait until post-season before deciding future

Shaun Higgins will wait until the end of the season to decide his future. Picture: Wayne Ludbey

DUMPED free agent Shaun Higgins will wait until the post-season before deciding his future, as the Dogs sweat over an illness to skipper Ryan Griffen.
    Higgins has been left in Melbourne to play VFL while his Western Bulldogs teammates take on a Gold Coast side without captain Gary Ablett in Cairns.The Dogs have had to sell a home game into Queensland to pump up their bottom line and the task could get harder if sick midfielder Griffen misses.Dogs assistant coach Brett Montgomery said yesterday the club was hopeful he would play, with Daniel Giansiracusa and Jason Johannisen the travelling emergencies.

The club said on Friday night that Griffen had made an improvement from the morning, but would not make a decision on his availabilty until this morning.Higgins will join Melbourne’s James Frawley as a free agent out of contract at year’s end, after being dropped despite 15 straight games this year.

He had planned to wait until year’s end before a deal was struck, with the 26-year-old attractive to rivals given his polished ball use.Manager Bruce Kaider said yesterday his demotion would not change his position, with Higgins determined to win back his spot.“We haven’t gone out and spoken to other clubs. I am sure in due course we will be contacted by a number of clubs to find out where he’s at with his playing future, but he’s committed to doing his job for the Dogs and committed to getting back into good form,’’ he said.

Higgins’ career has been plagued by injuries. Picture: Michael Klein

“It’s a decision the coach and match committee make on team balance, so from Shaun’s perspective he has to go back to the VFL and get his form back. Hopefully he can get back into the team and finish off the season well, at which point we can have a contract conversation and see what happens.

”Montgomery said the Dogs would not be lulled into underestimating Gold Coast just because Ablett was missing.“It’s a huge out, but he was only one of about half a dozen who ripped us apart in that 30 minutes when we played them last time.“Their lesser-lights are all top-10 draft picks in their own right, and it just gives them an opportunity to show their wares.“So we’re very wary of the next six or seven under him.”

He said the Dogs would give Griffen until game time to prove his fitness.“He’s woken up a little bit under the weather. He will train. He’ll train this afternoon, which is appropriate with game-time, so there’s no issue there.“We still think he’ll play, but we didn’t think it was too smart to get him out here this morning.”

Link here
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shaun Higgins to wait until post-season before deciding future

I'd be surprised if he stays.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

This is an interesting one, because essentially, the FA compensation is decided by blokes sitting in an AFL committee room. (Something I think is farcical, btw). However Higgins leaving would provide an opportunity for an 'even up' for our inadequate Ward compo (at least in comparison to Melbourne's Scully compo).

So perhaps the AFL could be in a mood to be slightly generous re any Higgins compo. We've had a legitimate gripe re Ward for a few years, now.

Post Thanks / Like

As much as I like aspects of Shaun's game he was never a quick or particularly accountable player and has suffered leg injuries which have exacerbated that deficiency. We'll likely never see the exciting player we saw early on prior to the broken ankle.
    I'm at the point where I think we can probably adequately cover what he provides with guys like Darley and JJ, losing perhaps some ball use while getting more pace and defensive pressure, picking up an asset in at least a likely 2nd round pick. I know some are advocating using him forward, but I'm pretty sure he lost his spot there as he provided little to no defensive pressure in that role. I'd also prefer those small forward spots used for Hunter, Honeychurch, Dahl and the like.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

At our club, in our circumstances, success is going to mean being able to lose any player to free agency yet still perform. Fact of life. How much cap would it free up?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    So perhaps the AFL could be in a mood to be slightly generous re any Higgins compo. We've had a legitimate gripe re Ward for a few years, now.
    I don't think this is an option, we would be hoping for 2nd round compensation.

Hard to say what is best for Higgins, I think we should try and keep him and if he is realistic then it should be an easy deal.

He's played some good football this year but I suppose it might hinge on if he thinks he deserves to be dropped or if he uses it to spur him on a bit further.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Shaun Higgins is a class act and it would be a shame to see him go. He has good first grab hands, is very strong overhead and is usually a good decision maker with accurate disposal.

If we are ever to rise to be a top four team retaining valuable players, as Geelong have been able to do, is just as important as any amount of on field improvement. Retaining players is a skill our administration has to develop.

Reading between the lines it looks like he is going, and we are not really desperate to keep him.

I could compile a long list of top players who have left the club over the years. But that would just be too depressing for all concerned.

After 55 years I wonder if its possible to become a free agent as a supporter.

Post Thanks / Like

Not possible to be a free agent as a supporter I'm afraid. It is akin to selling your soul..........

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    Shaun Higgins is a class act and it would be a shame to see him go. He has good first grab hands, is very strong overhead and is usually a good decision maker with accurate disposal.

If we are ever to rise to be a top four team retaining valuable players, as Geelong have been able to do, is just as important as any amount of on field improvement. Retaining players is a skill our administration has to develop.

Reading between the lines it looks like he is going, and we are not really desperate to keep him.

I could compile a long list of top players who have left the club over the years. But that would just be too depressing for all concerned.

Free agent supporters works in reverse you can change clubs after one year but when you get past 25 you have to stay for life.

Shaun is a prime example of a player that has had a career of being potently elite marred by injury I remember when he first came on the scene and had us all drooling then I think it's started with the elbow and it's been down hill ever since.

If he stays I wonder if we could push him to the wing.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

I think he has been (mostly) good for us this year, however he is IMO unlikely to improve further.

His disposal & defensive pressure in recent weeks has been a bit of worry, including his disposal in today's VFL match against the Box Hill Hawks, especially in second half.

We have enough talent to cover him. If he was quicker I'd be hesitating more...hence my belief is we should consider trading him. I know that sounds harsh, however we've shown a lot of faith in him throughout his injuries and presuming he thinks he is worth more than we can pay him then it's only fair he considers offers and that we do to.
    Josie :)

Our day will come
    And we'll have everything.
    We'll share the joy
    Just like '54 again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    I think he has been (mostly) good for us this year, however he is IMO unlikely to improve further.

His disposal & defensive pressure in recent weeks has been a bit of worry, including his disposal in today's VFL match against the Box Hill Hawks, especially in second half.

We have enough talent to cover him. If he was quicker I'd be hesitating more...hence my belief is we should consider trading him. I know that sounds harsh, however we've shown a lot of faith in him throughout his injuries and presuming he thinks he is worth more than we can pay him then it's only fair he considers offers and that we do to.
    He is a restricted free agent. We can just not match the offer if the compo is better than a trade, unless he was packaged with our first rounder to GWS in a big trade...
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post

Like Gary Jnr?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    He is a restricted free agent. We can just not match the offer if the compo is better than a trade, unless he was packaged with our first rounder to GWS in a big trade...
    Thanks for clarification BDG.

Realistically who do you think GWS would offer us for our 1st round pick & Shaun? Also do you really think they want more 1st round draft picks vs more experienced players? I'd think they'd want one of our young guns that's already a regular in our side e.g. Roughie and I just do not seeing us trade these types away.
    Josie :)

Our day will come
    And we'll have everything.
    We'll share the joy
    Just like '54 again.

Post Thanks / Like

He can't stay down back and we have a plethora of half-forward types. If he stays, he would need to reinvent himself as a lead-up forward pocket, in much the same role as Gia has played and which Johnno played before him. I still think he's an enormous talent and we can't afford to be letting talent like that go. We are a chance to play finals next year and maybe challenge the couple of years after that, which means that he's right in calculations for our next flag tilt. Given this, I'd be doing everything to keep him, but please find him a position which he can play for a number of years consecutively.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post
    He can't stay down back and we have a plethora of half-forward types. If he stays, he would need to reinvent himself as a lead-up forward pocket, in much the same role as Gia has played and which Johnno played before him. I still think he's an enormous talent and we can't afford to be letting talent like that go. We are a chance to play finals next year and maybe challenge the couple of years after that, which means that he's right in calculations for our next flag tilt. Given this, I'd be doing everything to keep him, but please find him a position which he can play for a number of years consecutively.
    I think they have earmarked Dickson for this role, especially since the club has re-signed him for another couple of years.

Will certainly be interesting to see where Higgins ends up.
    More of an In Bruges guy?