Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Strange Feeling...

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    You also destroy any chance of players staying for less money than they could otherwise get on the open market - and we've had quite a few in recent years (including our current captain).
    I was thinking the same way but then Geelong traded out Maloney to get Ottens. If you can sell it as a sacrifice somebody has to make in order to turn the list into a premiership winning combination then I think you could get both outcomes.

Geelong faced and overcame the same obstacle. Was Bmac there then? King might have been captain so he may have seen those decisions being made.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I was thinking the same way but then Geelong traded out Maloney to get Ottens. If you can sell it as a sacrifice somebody has to make in order to turn the list into a premiership winning combination then I think you could get both outcomes.

Geelong faced and overcame the same obstacle. Was Bmac there then? King might have been captain so he may have seen those decisions being made.
    I'm pretty certain both Men were there at the time.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I'm pretty certain both Men were there at the time.
    Then have been involved in making that decision. They would know what criteria Geelong used in deciding which player would get the trade done without completely destroying the fabric of the playing group.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Then have been involved in making that decision. They would know what criteria Geelong used in deciding which player would get the trade done without completely destroying the fabric of the playing group.
    I also think they tried to work out the best case scenario for Moloney, I'm pretty certain he was a Melbourne supporter and tried to get a silver lining for him (it was a bigger trade from memory) and they also weren't expected to be the basket case he left. Makes it easier to sell it to the group that we did we need to do for the group, but went out of our way to help (player) get to the club they wanted. Then (player) doesn't hopefully ring his old team mates bagging out the club ongoing. It's delicate, but done right is a master stroke.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023