Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Gordon's column: These pups are our future

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/ne...are-our-future

As published in the 17 July 2014 edition of the Star Weekly, below is an installment of Peter Gordon's weekly column in the publication.

It’s always hard to know what to do with the Gordon Legal sponsorship of the club. I’m not really looking for new work and I get to go to the president’s lunch most weeks anyway, sponsorship or not … except for weeks where we start favourite. Vice-president Sue Alberti likes to host those and has an unbeaten record so far. If we happen to make the finals this year and get to the GF, she’ll be president that day!

Such thoughts weren’t on my mind when I set out for Simon Garlick’s office during the week and saw a couple of hundred young kids in Bulldog jumpers having an Auskick clinic with some of our players. The kids were really cute and I loved the way our players paid them time and attention and complimented what were, frankly, some pretty indifferent foot skills. These kids are our future members and fan base.

That’s when it struck me, I could do a lot worse than use the sponsorship to introduce a few kids to what I hope will become life-long membership of our club.

So with membership manager Tom Lister, we cooked up the idea of using the Gordon Legal sponsorship to underwrite membership for all the Auskick kids in the west who nominate the Bulldogs as “their team”.

We’re going to give them the gift of membership, invite them to a night to meet our young players and explain to them that the club belongs to the west, just as they do.

That sense of belonging to a community, pride in your community’s team, is a gift. Just ask the people of Liverpool. And maybe that’s just the sort of initiative that will make them want to come back year after year. If it works, we’ll get another 1200 members this year and create a whole new base for the future.

If you live in the west and barrack for another team, it’s time to ask yourself: “Which community do I really belong to … the one where I live, or somewhere over the other side of town?” And if you’re already a Doggies fan, have a think about who you can conscript. As the great philosopher Doug Hawkins once said: “Better to sign up a single new member than to curse the comparative AFL membership table.”

Great idea Peter. A terrific Bulldog man.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gordon's column: These pups are our future

*applauds*

Peter Gordon just goes on giving. What a great initiative -- get them while they're young!!

Post Thanks / Like

Great idea to put his sponsorship money into something that has the potential to benefit the club for years to come.

Not sure about this bit though:

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    If you live in the west and barrack for another team, it’s time to ask yourself: “Which community do I really belong to … the one where I live, or somewhere over the other side of town?”
    I live nowhere near the west and never have, should I abandon the Bulldogs because I don't live there? I understand his point but you can't have it both ways.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a great idea.

Hopefully long term it could lead to more members.

Post Thanks / Like

Great to read. My only question is, with all due respect, why it wasn't thought of earlier.

In any event, hopefully it proves a successful move.

Post Thanks / Like

Great to read. My only question is, with all due respect, why it wasn't thought of earlier.

In any event, hopefully it proves a successful move.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I live nowhere near the west and never have, should I abandon the Bulldogs because I don't live there? I understand his point but you can't have it both ways.
    I think it's advice directed more towards the younger brigade.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Why do you support the Bulldogs?
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gogriff View Post
    Why do you support the Bulldogs?
    My old man grew up in Sunshine, I didn't have a choice!

Post Thanks / Like

I read it as being directed at people who live in the west but barrack for other clubs. We welcome supporters from everywhere.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Great Idea Peter.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I read it as being directed at people who live in the west but barrack for other clubs. We welcome supporters from everywhere.
    I know that's what he means, but by the same logic a Bulldogs supporter living in Geelong for instance shouldn't follow the dogs but should support their local team. The idea to win the kids is great but you aren't going to turn many adults who follow other clubs just because they live in the Western suburbs.

Post Thanks / Like

Its a good point you make Axe Man, but I still applaud Peter for his initiative and commitment to our great club.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.