Thread: Boyd to Re-sign

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Boyd to Re-sign

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Likewise here. Had a good season. There's stats and there's stats^^
    Seriously some on here had there way we'd have a team of pensioners
    What does that mean?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Meaning you want to keep everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Meaning you want to keep everyone.
    If you are talking specifically about me, I would be happy to see both Boyd and Morris finish up this year if we had replacements.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Thanks The Adelaide Connection thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Heard a whisper from someone I believe is very reliable that a new one year deal is nearly complete.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

6. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Likes Eastdog, Bulldog4life, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    Heard a whisper from someone I believe is very reliable that a new one year deal is nearly complete.
    Just as long as it's not incentive based, it'll cripple the club!
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

8. Likes Greystache, soupman, Doc26, Topdog, Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good news if that is the case. Will be good to have him go around again.
    Last edited by Eastdog; 06-09-2016 at 12:06 PM.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully they release the news just before the final in Perth as a little extra positive to get the boys going.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

11. Likes Smads57, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just bizarre him playing on is even a discussion. The last two years he has been in or around All-Australian level. If winning is important to a club short term, you cannot let that type go.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    Just bizarre him playing on is even a discussion. The last two years he has been in or around All-Australian level. If winning is important to a club short term, you cannot let that type go.
    It is crazy that it has gone on as long as it has. Personally find it disrespectful to a past club captain and champion of our club particularly one who has continued to be in our best handful of players each week.

I don't like how Scott and North handled Harvey and I'm just as frustrated with our handling of our current day All Australian.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    It is crazy that it has gone on as long as it has. Personally find it disrespectful to a past club captain and champion of our club particularly one who has continued to be in our best handful of players each week.

I don't like how Scott and North handled Harvey and I'm just as frustrated with our handling of our current day All Australian.
    I don't think it is AS bad. Thing is we don't know if the delay is about whether to give him a deal OR what deal we are going to give him. Perhaps it's about how much we are going to offer him and him/his manager wanting a bit more etc. IF it is just about whether we want him or not, I think that's crazy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    If you are talking specifically about me, I would be happy to see both Boyd and Morris finish up this year if we had replacements.
    Mentioned somewhere in another thread when Boyd, Morris etc retire there will be big shoes to fill. Who do we see filling those gaps. Adams I think will fill the void. Would it be better to not retire them all at once.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    We had Hurley all but locked up until he actually signed with the Bombres. Maybe the funds were not there or there was a squeeze on salary with Hurley on the projected books. I've got no doubt he'll sign and expect it to be announced in the next few weeks or during the off-season.

I'm more concerned about Campbell.

Post Thanks / Like

Matthew Boyd has had a stellar season which follows an outstanding career of 278 games dual B&F winner All Australian and Captain of our club for 4 years. There is little doubt that he has earned a new contract. In the words of Club legend John Schultz at Casey Fields today at our Footscray VFL final Boyd is all class and still sets a wonderful example around the Club.

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't it the case with anyone in their mid 30's that you take it as a year by year proposition?

And with that being the case, isn't it logical to wait until the end of the season to do the deal? If Boyd were to break his leg Mitch Wallis style or do an ACL Jack Redpath style in his next game, his career is over. He's not 25!

So surely the common sense approach is to get to the end of the year, see how he's feeling and then sign him up for a further year. Of course the media will try to squeeze a story out of it in a slow news, non-football week. However, we'd have to be daft to be baited by it. Common sense prevails!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    Isn't it the case with anyone in their mid 30's that you take it as a year by year proposition?

And with that being the case, isn't it logical to wait until the end of the season to do the deal? If Boyd were to break his leg Mitch Wallis style or do an ACL Jack Redpath style in his next game, his career is over. He's not 25!

So surely the common sense approach is to get to the end of the year, see how he's feeling and then sign him up for a further year. Of course the media will try to squeeze a story out of it in a slow news, non-football week. However, we'd have to be daft to be baited by it. Common sense prevails!
    I get what you are saying but the home and away season has finished and I'm not sure that the club will learn anything different between now and the end of the finals. You would hope the club has said if all things finish well over the balance of the season we are vastly more likely to sign you than than not. I think that would be something Matthew Boyd would accept.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"