Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  21
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Adam Cooney: Up for trade ?

From AFL.COM.AU

Cooney's name raised
    Brownlow medallist Adam Cooney was part of discussions between Carlton and the Western Bulldogs.

The Age reports of a deal that would see Cooney, Dogs' teammate Liam Jones and the club's third-round pick (No.45) exchanged for the Blues' second-round pick, No.28.

It would mean the Dogs would have four picks inside the top 30 (6, 26, 27 and 28) in what is viewed as a strong draft pool.

Cooney signed a two-year contract with the Bulldogs last year and will again be eligible for free agency at the end of the 2015 season

I would have thought a very poor reward for the years of struggling to play on a painful and dodgy knee.

Following our inability to get any deal done thus far lets not sacrifice a true son of the club in order to save someones face at the trade table.

Keep Adam at the Bulldogs I say. And while we are at it obviously Liam Jones doesn't have to much appeal as a trade option, so maybe we should be keeping him as well (if in fact we can).

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Adam Cooney: Up for trade ?

With a heavy heart, I've come to the realisation that this is an opportunity for us as a club to set ourselves up for the next decade on the back of some pretty astute drafting the last couple of years.

After initial disappointment I'm now comfortable with Jones moving on and as much as I have loved Cooney over his career, the fact is his best is long gone, he is unlikely to be part of our next finals campaign and we should get the best deal possible while we can. That may simply mean getting another draft pick we can use to as part of a deal to get us higher in the draft.

We may look back at this year's trading/drafting period in the future and identify it as the major turning point for our club in its quest for a second premiership.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Shit deal if that's what we take .. 3 players one a brownlow medallist to move up only 17 spots.
    Bring back the biff

4. Likes Scorlibo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Depends if that move up 17 places can be used to get closer to the front of the draft and maybe snare McCartin ir Wright.

Post Thanks / Like

If we don't trade him we need to extend his contract.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Shit deal if that's what we take .. 3 players one a brownlow medallist to move up only 17 spots.
    His Brownlow medal form is long gone though. Hes barely a best 22 player for us moving forward.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Whilst I see the logic in moving him on, this will hurt... Even if we get a decent deal for him it will still hurt.

Post Thanks / Like

It's the nature of the beast isn't it. We have been guilty in the past of holding onto our stars, and as Maddog37 says, if we don't trade him, we need to extend his contract or he walks for nothing at the end of next year because by that time, the AFL will probably scrap FA compensation when it should be our turn to capitalise on it.

4 picks inside the top 30 is ok, but when 3 of those are 26,27 and 28, it is not as appealing as it sounds. I hope Dalrymple knows what he's doing.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    His Brownlow medal form is long gone though. Hes barely a best 22 player for us moving forward.
    Sometimes there is more to a team/club than just 30 disposals per week.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    And who's saying there's not?

Im sue we have got a good enough reason if we are looking to move him on.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree, could not have put it better.

Adam is very definitely in our current best 22, and his contribution is way beyond mere stats.

13. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post

Adam is very definitely in our current best 22, and his contribution is way beyond mere stats.
    But if we are looking to trade him maybe the MC see differently.

And seriously no one is saying his value/contribution is from stats, why are people making this up and adding it to their argument
    The curse is dead.

15. Likes N/A, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes clubs look after players even in trade .. Maybe we sat down with Coons and said look your on this amount this year and its the last year of your contract or we can look after you get you a longer contract and more money at another club are you interested, it helps you out and helps us get a player who can go another ten years.
    .. It's a business now and loyalty can be found in other ways than just staying at one club .. Look at Cross we let him go for free, he has extended his career by at least 2 years and its been a positive for Melbourne, us and Daniel , okay he was upset at the start but I'm sure he now sees the light and is greatful it happened.
    Lake was another .. He didn't get in with the coach but in affect he looked after the club when he left and we looked after him.
    Bring back the biff

17. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cooney has been a great stalwart at the club through thick and thin he has served us well and if both us and him can come out on top in a deal and both are happy why wouldn't you do it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post

Have you considered the distinct possibility that this is something that Adam hasn't come to realise over the last year or so, and forms the very basis for why we're looking to move him on?