Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  20
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Higgins....How hard should the club fight to keep him?

All the injuries eventually catch up to a player, and at 26 he may have 1 to 2 decent seasons left.
    Don't think he has 4 decent seasons in him, and therefore the clubs made the right call.

2. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's interesting Shaun is always seen as skilled by other clubs. To my mind with each injury his foot skills worsened. There was a game this year where 2 or 3 howlers in the first qtr just about killed the contest and set the tone for the day.

I think it's a good move that he's found a new home, for us, and him. A couple of memories stand out for me: him kicking a monster goal off one step to help us win the NAB cup against the Saints. A terrific, clever first qtr in a PF against Geelong where he was so creative and dangerous.

We'll never know how good he might have been. A very very unlucky player. Good luck Shaun.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

4. Likes SlimPickens, jeemak, The Pie Man liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    It's interesting Shaun is always seen as skilled by other clubs. To my mind with each injury his foot skills worsened. There was a game this year where 2 or 3 howlers in the first qtr just about killed the contest and set the tone for the day.

I think it's a good move that he's found a new home, for us, and him. A couple of memories stand out for me: him kicking a monster goal off one step to help us win the NAB cup against the Saints. A terrific, clever first qtr in a PF against Geelong where he was so creative and dangerous.

We'll never know how good he might have been. A very very unlucky player. Good luck Shaun.
    Agree that injuries have taken there toll, but we have not had for years the personal to protect and shepard the ball carrier.
    One reason IMO Farren Ray has been a far better player in a Saints team with bigger bodies and protectors than he ever could in a side we have fielded for the last ten years.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post

I think you are referencing the North Melbourne game - later in the season. And if so, you are spot on.

My prediction would be, that as always, Shaun will have a good game early in the season, maybe even 2 - and the general feeling will be that North have a great pick up. And by mid season he will just be plodding along, having very little impact on games. Unfortunately this has been the characteristics of his last few seasons. When his body is fresh, he goes quite well, but my suspicion is that he just isn't durable enough for the grind/rigours of week in week out AFL football, and struggles to perform with niggles.

I also think that Shaun not reaching the heights of what he showed from 2007-2009 again, may be reflective of how much the game has changed in that time. Talented as he is, he isn't suited to the level of two way running and repeat efforts required in today's footy.

7. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If the plan is just to have him in as a link in the quick running of the footy that makes up North's game plan, sure, he fits it beautifully. But, like North itself, come finals time they're going to be facing the same demons Shaun has his whole career. North will not make the GF with this list.

Perfect fit.

Post Thanks / Like

You know you're struggling when you're pointing to what he did over 5 years ago in 2009
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta say if Norf lose Greenwood, it's a big fail for me.
    Staggered they rate Shaun ahead of Greenwood

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Rumour has it, they have.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Greenwood has asked for trade to the pies.

Well who would you rather Greenwood or Higgins?

Massive fail by Norf.

Post Thanks / Like

Greenwood was hopeless 12 months ago and couldn't get a game. He doesn't really have the biscuits in the bank yet having only a good second half to the year. Norf are obviously after some polish rather than another mid and have a heap of players who can do Greenwood's role (Swallow, Zeibel, Cunnington, Adams...) plus the grass is always a bit greener from the inside looking out and I'm sure Higgins looks more attractive to rival clubs than he does to us (obviously). Both players had form this year and I think it's about right that they are rated about the same. Greenwood is certainly no superstar.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Greenwood was hopeless 12 months ago and couldn't get a game. He doesn't really have the biscuits in the bank yet having only a good second half to the year. Norf are obviously after some polish rather than another mid and have a heap of players who can do Greenwood's role (Swallow, Zeibel, Cunnington, Adams...) plus the grass is always a bit greener from the inside looking out and I'm sure Higgins looks more attractive to rival clubs than he does to us (obviously). Both players had form this year and I think it's about right that they are rated about the same. Greenwood is certainly no superstar.
    You are probably right about that.

Post Thanks / Like

It probably is, but Greenwood came runner up in Norf's best and fairest in a prelim final season, whereas Higgins played reserves at one point in a team that finished 14th!
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

I think most neutrals would take Greenwood over Higgins.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Think you have massively underrated him saying he only had a good 2nd half of the season. His entire year was fantastic and played like a star

Post Thanks / Like

Greenwood's a better player than Higgins.
    Greenwood was arguably Norf's best player this year, and although Shaun was better this year he didn't have the same season.