Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Emerging Dog Stringer 'a bit of a freak' says Crameri

THERE were times earlier this season when Stewart Crameri did all of the heavy lifting in the Western Bulldogs' forward line, but the emergence of Jake Stringer in recent weeks has seen it shared around.

Crameri kicked three goals from 20 disposals in the Dogs' 23-point win over St Kilda on Sunday, in a consistent display. It took his tally to 31 goals in his first season with the club since crossing from Essendon last year.

But it was his forward partner in Stringer who took centre stage, booting four goals in an exciting showing. Stringer has now kicked 20 goals for the season from 15 games, and with every step he takes, Crameri feels the side improving as well.

"It's given me a bit of a break. As soon as ‘Jakey’ comes on, it'll be better for me," he told AFL.com.au.

"I think he's a bit of a freak, really. He kicked one of his goals as a check-side kick and I said to him 'Geez, mate, you could have passed that off'.

"But he's too talented for that so he went it himself and shrugged off four blokes and kicked the goal. That's what he's capable of. I love playing with him because he's so hard at the ball and he's damaging."

Dogs hold firm against surging Saints

Stringer could have been excused for having other things on his mind. The 20-year-old's partner, Abby Gilmore, is expecting the couple's first child any day, but that didn't stop him from producing a dynamic performance.

Crameri, Stringer and Tom Campbell (one goal) worked on creating the right match-ups throughout the win over the Saints, with each playing their role.

Stringer, Crameri thinks, adds his own spice to every disposal.

"As soon as I know he's going to get the ball, I'm just expecting something special for him now. He's doing a great job and improving," he said.

So too are the Dogs, according to Crameri. The forward, who turned 26 on Sunday, occasionally has to remind himself of the youth on the club's list, and that progression will take time.

But, as he nears the end of his first season in the red, white and blue, he can see the wheel turning.

"I think (in) one more pre-season we'll see another huge improvement because they're only 19 or 20 years old. I forget I'm a lot older than these guys and they're doing a great job," he said.

"At least there's an improvement from last year to this year and I can see it stepping up again next year."

Link
    Last edited by bornadog; 11-08-2014 at 03:36 PM.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Emerging Dog Stringer 'a bit of a freak' says Crameri

Only 'a bit of a freak'?

After one of his goals I sent a message to Twodogs praising the arrogance of the boy. It was great to watch.

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely love his arrogance.

I said after watching his goal v Hawks in the nab cup last year he would become a top 5 player in the comp and I still think he's capable. Once he builds fitness and can push through the midfield he will rival Pavlich.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Absolutely love his arrogance.

I said after watching his goal v Hawks in the nab cup last year he would become a top 5 player in the comp and I still think he's capable. Once he builds fitness and can push through the midfield he will rival Pavlich.
    Agree on the Pavlich call. The good problem to have, like Freo have had, is where do you play him because he's good at just about every position on the ground.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Bonts I think is also Pav like , imagine him with another two pre seasons , who would stop him at CHF ?
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Bonts I think is also Pav like
    Is it the nose? It's the nose isn't it?
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Bonts I think is also Pav like , imagine him with another two pre seasons , who would stop him at CHF ?
    I think Bonts has the potential to be class of his own. His rise from TAC to ten weeks ago to now has been huge. If this curve keeps up the next decade of special players could be club defining.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting hearing Jake say he's only had one pre-season in the last 4!
    Said he can't wait for pre-season.

God help the competition