Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs must strengthen their spine by chasing James Frawley

Shane Crawford: Western Bulldogs must strengthen their spine by chasing James Frawley

Shane Crawford
    Herald Sun
    August 23, 2014 8:00PM

I’M not going to go out on a limb and say the Western Bulldogs will be a definite premiership chance within three years, but with their stockpile of young midfielders, it is enough to get anyone excited about the future.

What might stop them from contending in that time is the spine.

That’s why the Bulldogs should launch a “Chase Chip” campaign in an effort to secure Melbourne defender James Frawley.

MODEST SEASON COULD REDUCE FRAWLEY COMPO

To convince “Chip” Frawley that a move out west might be good for his career, Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney should sit down with him in front of a whiteboard and show him what the Dogs’ line-up might look like in 2017.

Frawley has had a modest 2014 campaign for Melbourne. Picture: George Salpigtidis

It won’t include Matthew Boyd, Robert Murphy, Daniel Giansiracusa or Dale Morris and is unlikely to have Adam Cooney, either, because his body has faced its share of wear and tear, or Liam Picken.

Will Minson is a line-ball call. He will be 32, and by that stage, the Dogs might have Tom Campbell or another young ruckman coming through. Campbell has been given the job for today’s game against the Swans after Minson was dropped.

What really excites me about the Bulldogs is the way they have been able to claim some seriously good young midfielders. Some of them could become absolute stars.

Tom Liberatore is one of the best contested-ball players in the competition. He’s a star, we know that, and still has improvement left in him.

Marcus Bontempelli is the favourite to win this year’s AFL Rising Star award. Picture: Wayne Ludbey

Marcus Bontempelli and Jack Macrae could be among the best five midfielders going round by 2017. That’s got to be exciting for the Bulldogs fans who might be getting more than a bit frustrated by the inconsistencies.

The Bulldogs have never had a Rising Star winner, but I’m convinced Bontempelli will win this year. Just give him the medal now and be done with it.

He reminds me a little of a young Anthony Koutoufides, who had that rare capacity to take games by the scruff of the neck when his team needed it.

I don’t think it is a stretch to say Bontempelli, who is not yet 19, could be the best player in the AFL by the end of 2017. Big call? Yes. Impossible? No way. He looks to be a rare talent.

And how many 20-year-olds accumulate possessions the way Macrae does? He had 43 touches against Gold Coast this year and has had more than 500 touches so far this season.

There is a lot of hard work to do for the Dogs, and still some more inconsistency and pain to come, but the path they are taking is the right one, and if they convince Frawley of that, and perhaps claim a free agent forward the following year, footy’s longest current premiership drought — now 60 years — might come to an end.

Frawley should be considered a crucial recruiting target because he would not only provide strong support down back, but he could, at times, go forward himself, or allow Jordan Roughead to do the same.

The Dogs’ search for a key forward had been centred on luckless Giant Jonathon Patton, but the fact he suffered his second serious knee injury last weekend ended that.

There had been reports the Dogs were prepared to punt $900,000 a season on Patton, though that changed this week when the Giants locked him in until the end of 2017.

McCartney now must fix his attention on another big power forward. They don’t grow on trees, but if they can find one, the path ahead would look a lot brighter.

The Dogs got Stewart Crameri last October, which has worked OK, but they need a monster up forward to cause more damage.

Frawley and Roughead can pinch-hit in defence and attack, and that might be an option until the Dogs can either trade for, or develop, a player capable of kicking bags of goals.

Some have suggested Frawley, who will be 26 in a couple of weeks, might prove a risk. I don’t think so. You can lose form, but you don’t lose talent.

Frawley has been linked with a few Victorian clubs, including Geelong.

I wouldn’t worry about the fact he struggled this season — I’d put that down to "contractitis", the same affliction that affected Collingwood’s Travis Cloke in 2012.

Cloke chose to stay; Frawley will almost certainly leave.

I wouldn’t offer crazy money for him; instead, I would be offering a longer-term deal than others — such as Geelong, Hawthorn and Gold Coast — might.

The whiteboard approach once worked for Alastair Clarkson, by the way. It’s exactly what he did soon after he took over at Hawthorn in late 2004.

He had the Hawks’ potential next premiership side up on a board and it’s fair to say a few noses were immediately out of joint.

Mine was one of them — he left my name out, as he did with a number of senior players.

It made most of us decide there and then that we would be part of that next Hawks flag, and, luckily enough, I was still there in 2008.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1227034295879

2. Thanks Twodogs, chef, Greystache thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs must strengthen their spine by chasing James Frawley

We would be negligent as a professional football club not to throw our hat in the ring for Frawley. I wouldn't sell the farm but you can't get rich without taking a few risks. I don't know if he'll be to keen when Bonts possibly kicked goal of the year after stripping him of the ball... Twice.

Post Thanks / Like

I noticed Shoenmakers played for Boxhill today. If he's considered a fringe player at the Hawks, he could be another tall defender I would look at trying to lure across. Any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    I noticed Shoenmakers played for Boxhill today. If he's considered a fringe player at the Hawks, he could be another tall defender I would look at trying to lure across. Any thoughts?
    On paper he looks a genuine prospect, 196cm and mobile but for some reason he is frequently out marked in one on one contests and gets caught behind on the lead. I think he has a problem judging where he should be once the ball is in the air.

I'd doubt he is what we are after but if he was out of contract it could be worth a closer look. Dealing with Hawthorn to get a player from them would be a nightmare.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    We would be negligent as a professional football club not to throw our hat in the ring for Frawley. I wouldn't sell the farm but you can't get rich without taking a few risks. I don't know if he'll be to keen when Bonts possibly kicked goal of the year after stripping him of the ball... Twice.
    I started a thread around if it was time to make a big (and bold) move and suggested we target Sydney's Sam Reid but naturally we also discussed James Frawley and others. I think the main concern is the figure Frawley is reportedly after which is understandable. By the way, I also challenged the contract we were reportedly prepared to pay Jonathon Patton so I get it's not an exact science in paying overs for a players who add structure to a spine that lacks a bit of it.

To take a closer look Crawford's approach one idea is to use the Sydney deal with Franklin as a bit of a template and believe me when I tell you I am aware that Frawley is no Franklin.

Our offer to Frawley could be something along the lines of a 5 year deal at around 700K which is under what he wants but a lot closer to what he is actually worth. Now this where we could get creative but the kicker to help close the deal could be that we are also prepared to pay him and extra 150K to 180K a season for another 4 years on top of that.

In 6 or 7 years time the 150/180K will be a minor % of the salary so it wouldn't hinder us in the longer term.
    For Frawley it gives him a long term commitment and probably helps him spread his tax liabilities a bit better but I don't profess to be a tax expert so this is more of a guess. 150/180K for 4 years after you retire isn't a bad option either.

Essentially we could sell him of the idea of coming to a club on the rise, why we need a player like him to work with Roughead and firm up our back line and we would be offering a long term commitment.
    If Frawley and his manager were smart this is exactly the type of deal that could peak his interest. If it's just about money then he isn't the player for us.

Post Thanks / Like

Assuming Frawley was interested in joining us the cost is more than financial as it would likely remove our at best 2nd round, more probable 3rd round compensation for Shaun, assuming of course he's gone. With Jaksch appearing to be on the market this trade period this extra pick could work out valuable to us in conjuring up a deal to get Christian to our Club. Personally I'm far from sold on Frawley's value and would prefer that we use what collateral we have to bring someone like a Jaksch without the cost, baggage and flaws that have emerged in Chip's game in recent years. Where he's at now he just seems like an overpriced Jared Rivers for mine.

8. Likes craigsahibee liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think he is no good! Makes heaps of errors. - Shoenmaker

I think Frawley is average and not worth while.

I reckon we need to offer a heap to some of the big guys at GC or GWS., otherwise get Reid from SS

10. Likes Remi Moses, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Assuming Frawley was interested in joining us the cost is more than financial as it would likely remove our at best 2nd round, more probable 3rd round compensation for Shaun, assuming of course he's gone. With Jaksch appearing to be on the market this trade period this extra pick could work out valuable to us in conjuring up a deal to get Christian to our Club. Personally I'm far from sold on Frawley's value and would prefer that we use what collateral we have to bring someone like a Jaksch without the cost, baggage and flaws that have emerged in Chip's game in recent years. Where he's at now he just seems like an overpriced Jared Rivers for mine.
    The Frawley inflated view of his abilities has been a media beat up. There is always a danger in recruiting a good average player from an ordinary Club. There is also a danger that his level of salary expectation contract throws out of kilter what we would be paying to the likes of Griffen Murphy and Liberatore. I would prefer to focus on the development of Roberts and Talia and continue to seek out young talented key position prospects.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    I seer the logic in this and Jaksch does have some appeal to me.
    Of course if we keep Higgins the math changes with a potential Frawley acquisition. He might come cheaper than Jaksch who has a number of potential suitors.
    I guess the unknown in this is what the impact being at Melbourne has been over the last 4 years. Martin has excelled at Brisbane and I wonder if there are some players at the Dees that could also turn their fortunes around by being at another club.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    On paper he looks a genuine prospect, 196cm and mobile but for some reason he is frequently out marked in one on one contests and gets caught behind on the lead. I think he has a problem judging where he should be once the ball is in the air.

I'd doubt he is what we are after but if he was out of contract it could be worth a closer look. Dealing with Hawthorn to get a player from them would be a nightmare.
    Shoenmakers is being kept out of the side by Spangher and he'd cost a hell of a lot more to obtain than Spangher would (who is out of contract at the end of this season). I know who I'd rather have in our backline - not only does Spang rarely get beaten one-on-one but he is one of the most selfless key defenders in the competition when it comes to zoning off and helping teammates out. The likes of Roughy would benefit enormously from another big defender helping out to create two-on-ones.

Post Thanks / Like

I honestly think Talia and Roberts have the ability to play key defensive post for us, for a long time. Both have developed very well at Footscray this year and I expect them to become integral parts if our defensive unit going forward.

Don't forget both are 21 years of age and have performed reasonably well when called upon to play in the seniors also.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

15. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes 1eyedog, boydogs, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Shoenmakers is being kept out of the side by Spangher and he'd cost a hell of a lot more to obtain than Spangher would (who is out of contract at the end of this season). I know who I'd rather have in our backline - not only does Spang rarely get beaten one-on-one but he is one of the most selfless key defenders in the competition when it comes to zoning off and helping teammates out. The likes of Roughy would benefit enormously from another big defender helping out to create two-on-ones.
    I think this year has shown that Shoenmakers is an "ok" second tall forward but isn't "great" anywhere else.
    I'd look elsewhere for a genuine tall backman - Frost is a good start.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

A tall defender with some pace would help.
    Morris has lost his speed, Roughead has none, neither does Austin. Talia and Roberts also are slow.

We continually get smashed on the quick rebound by both quicker talls and smalls. yes a lot of this is because of mistakes up the field but I'm sure we cough up more than the competition average of goals where they just walk into the square from the quick ball over the top.

Another slow footballer with no creativity isn't what we need.

I realize there isn't many defenders with skill and pace, that is usually why they are defenders in the first place but we need some variation as our guys just don't match up well in this area.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    A tall defender with some pace would help.
    Morris has lost his speed, Roughead has none, neither does Austin. Talia and Roberts also are slow.

We continually get smashed on the quick rebound by both quicker talls and smalls. yes a lot of this is because of mistakes up the field but I'm sure we cough up more than the competition average of goals where they just walk into the square from the quick ball over the top.

Another slow footballer with no creativity isn't what we need.

I realize there isn't many defenders with skill and pace, that is usually why they are defenders in the first place but we need some variation as our guys just don't match up well in this area.
    Agreed, We need a tall defender with great mobility and athleticism. Fortunately their might be a few available for our first pick.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike Sheahan believes Frawley will be at Geelong on $500k over 5 years. For that period, they can have him.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.