Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

List Management moving into 2015

I'd like to have a look at our List Management challenges as we move into the 2015 season in particular our forward and back lines.

I know there was a lot of speculation that we had put in a multi year and multi million dollar offer to Jonathon Patton because we needed a genuine key position player but given we now won't land him and we are unlikely to be able to secure Patrick McCartin in the draft I think our focus needs to be on defenders both tall and mid sized.

We have an abundance of tall and mid sized forwards and I think this could be an issue for us next season.

Lets assume, Stringer has now cemented himself a spot as a forward, Crameri will also play every week and we will either use one of Campbell, Cordy or Jones as a tall forward rotating into the ruck as required. Lets assume it's Jones.

That stitches up 3 tall positions in the forward line. Bontempelli isn't ready to spend a lot of time in the midfield yet so we must also accommodate him for large periods of time as a tall/mid sized forward. Now we have 4 positions filled.

I'd guess Hrovat and Dahlhaus would be the front runners for the small forward positions but they would also have competition from Hunter, Smith (when he returns) Stevens and Tutt knowing that some of these guys could be used on a wing or on the IC bench.

So right at this moment there is no real home for Dickson, Grant, Campbell, Cordy, Honeychurch and Redpath (who I believe will be promoted) unless there are injuries or a lack of form.

Projected Forward set-up:
    Half Forwards: Dahlhaus - Jones - Bontempelli
    Forwards: Crameri - Stringer - Hrovat
    Others: Smith - Stevens - Hunter - Dickson - Grant - Campbell - Redpath - Cordy

I think we have a bit of an oversupply of forwards but not necessarily the quality that we need.

Now when I look at our back line I start to see some worrying signs.
    One of our key play makers in Murphy might very well finish at the end of the 2015 season and our best one on one defender in Morris could also find next year to be his last. Higgins who has had a a good season may be looking elsewhere.

We have a number of likely key defenders who for a variety of reasons haven't quite measured up:
    Roughead is struggling (I think due to injuries) but I'd guess we will stick with him
    Talia who is a good one on one defender but isn't creative enough and doesn't look quick.
    Roberts who is performing well but hasn't quite been able to grab a spot and like Talia he doesn't appear to be quick enough.
    Young who struggled early in the season but has bounced back well at Footscray and has played in a more creative manner .
    Austin who has been given an extended run in the seniors but hasn't made his mark.

Once again we seem to have the right sort of numbers but are a player or two short on the quality.

For the mid sized and smaller players we have Wood who has had a great season, JJ, Picken and Darely who are decent options and I'm assuming Higgins will leave.

Projected Back Line set-up:
    Half Backs: Murphy - Morris - Johannisen
    Backs: Wood - Roughead - Picken
    Others: Talia - Roberts - Austin - Darley and Young

What ever way I look at this unless there is a move of one of the key forwards to the back line or we can acquire a genuine key forward then I think we need to draft 3 defenders and at least two of them need to have some key position size and a fair bit of athleticism.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts?
    Are our needs more about getting a genuine gun key forward or do we need key defenders more?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Thanks chef, Murphy'sLore, jazzadogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Management moving into 2015

Good post,

I've mentioned in other threads that I can see our backline as a real concern. We would need big improvements from Roberts and Talia if they will hold a spot in the seniors.

Morris could be replace by either one of them if they can progress next year. I see Darley as a Gilbee type but he needs to find space so he can use his kicking skills. JJ Could take Murphy's place but I think he is better suited a bit further up the ground.

If Wood could get to Bobs level he may well be that attacking defender.

Roughhead looks like the weak link, has size but is slow and I think he has serious problems with his shoulder. I remember a couple of years ago when he was playing for Willy he was walking the boundary right past me whingeing to the trainer about the pain he was in with his shoulder. This seems to be a reoccurring problem. So pick one in my mind would be the best available big defender in the draft.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

There are a couple of areas that need to be addressed in the backline and they are not only the key positions but the Murphy type of yester year, the run and bounce type. Wood needs to lift but I also think we need another Hargrave type who is around the 190 cm size, but with some pace and can look after the resting midfielders who are also 190cm. (refer Freo)

Young I think is a bit slow for my liking and I am not sue he will make it. Darley is more your type to look after the smaller forwards as is JJ. Morris can't continue to be on the buddies of the world, its just plain ridiclous and as GVGjr says, will probably only have a year left.

Therefore we are looking for at least three defenders

- Tall, around 196cm plus in a key position role
    - 190cm defender, with pace to look after the resting taller mids
    - A genuine replacement for Murphy
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

The issue is quality. Particularly, in the key positions. Then there are the small to medium sized players who, while no-one could question their endeavour, are lacking badly when it comes to disposal and awareness skills. Then there is another group of players who just seem to like to operate in a comfort zone. Then finally there is a sizable group of players who just aren't remotely up to AFL standard but unfortunately we have garnered so many of them it is going to take years to work them out of the list.

Basically, we only have about 6 good players.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

In agreeance with others Murphy needs to be replaced ( I think he's got two seasons on current form)
    We are then able to draft someone in for his spot.
    One tall back, and a third man in type. Key forward for the chaos kick( that's currently every forward entry )
    We've got to many holes to fill to challenge for the eight next season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'd like to have a look at our List Management challenges as we move into the 2015 season in particular our forward and back lines.

I know there was a lot of speculation that we had put in a multi year and multi million dollar offer to Jonathon Patton because we needed a genuine key position player but given we now won't land him and we are unlikely to be able to secure Patrick McCartin in the draft I think our focus needs to be on defenders both tall and mid sized.

We have an abundance of tall and mid sized forwards and I think this could be an issue for us next season.

Lets assume, Stringer has now cemented himself a spot as a forward, Crameri will also play every week and we will either use one of Campbell, Cordy or Jones as a tall forward rotating into the ruck as required. Lets assume it's Jones.

That stitches up 3 tall positions in the forward line. Bontempelli isn't ready to spend a lot of time in the midfield yet so we must also accommodate him for large periods of time as a tall/mid sized forward. Now we have 4 positions filled.

I'd guess Hrovat and Dahlhaus would be the front runners for the small forward positions but they would also have competition from Hunter, Smith (when he returns) Stevens and Tutt knowing that some of these guys could be used on a wing or on the IC bench.

So right at this moment there is no real home for Dickson, Grant, Campbell, Cordy, Honeychurch and Redpath (who I believe will be promoted) unless there are injuries or a lack of form.

Projected Forward set-up:
    Half Forwards: Dahlhaus - Jones - Bontempelli
    Forwards: Crameri - Stringer - Hrovat
    Others: Smith - Stevens - Hunter - Dickson - Grant - Campbell - Redpath - Cordy

I think we have a bit of an oversupply of forwards but not necessarily the quality that we need.

Now when I look at our back line I start to see some worrying signs.
    One of our key play makers in Murphy might very well finish at the end of the 2015 season and our best one on one defender in Morris could also find next year to be his last. Higgins who has had a a good season may be looking elsewhere.

We have a number of likely key defenders who for a variety of reasons haven't quite measured up:
    Roughead is struggling (I think due to injuries) but I'd guess we will stick with him
    Talia who is a good one on one defender but isn't creative enough and doesn't look quick.
    Roberts who is performing well but hasn't quite been able to grab a spot and like Talia he doesn't appear to be quick enough.
    Young who struggled early in the season but has bounced back well at Footscray and has played in a more creative manner .
    Austin who has been given an extended run in the seniors but hasn't made his mark.

Once again we seem to have the right sort of numbers but are a player or two short on the quality.

For the mid sized and smaller players we have Wood who has had a great season, JJ, Picken and Darely who are decent options and I'm assuming Higgins will leave.

Projected Back Line set-up:
    Half Backs: Murphy - Morris - Johannisen
    Backs: Wood - Roughead - Picken
    Others: Talia - Roberts - Austin - Darley and Young

What ever way I look at this unless there is a move of one of the key forwards to the back line or we can acquire a genuine key forward then I think we need to draft 3 defenders and at least two of them need to have some key position size and a fair bit of athleticism.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts?
    Are our needs more about getting a genuine gun key forward or do we need key defenders more?
    GVGjr this is a really good post. Our back line is a major concern when you consider that our best defenders are all getting to the veteran stage in Murphy Morris and Picken. I am still to be convinced about Roughy as a key defender due to him being too slow off the mark and believe he would be better suited as a marking forward and change ruck man. If this was to occur, then I would prefer Roughead to Jones. Your points about Roberts and Talia are valid as you would have hoped that they could step up to be our best two options as key defenders. We also need IMO to seek out a goal kicking midfielder as at the moment our midfield does not produce enough goals. Cooney and Boyd are two others entering the veteran stage and there is already too much reliance on Griffen and Liberatore who will both need extra support.
    I still have reservations about Jones, Grant, Redpath and Cordy being good enough and Campbell although injured early against the Swans still needs greater mobility. There is something to get excited about with Stringer Bontempelli and Hrovat being on the forward line but we still need to find similar quality young draftees to give our list greater depth. There are still too many occupying a place on our list that fall short of us being a final 8 possibility in the foreseeable future.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Great Post GVG.

The above line pretty much sums it up for me. We have a great mix of players on our list. It's just a couple short in terms of quality.

I guess that's where a Reid or Frawley would be extremely beneficial.

If Talia and Roberts really step up next year then we could play either of the above mentioned Forward. But if Jones really comes along next year it also gives us the flexibility of moving one back. Hedging our bets in a sense.

If Jones, Talia and Roberts all go bang next year then, well.... I won't be complaining

Post Thanks / Like

I would spend the pre-season trialling Jones in defence and Roberts up forward. We kind of know what to expect from Jones up forward and I'm not convinced Roberts has the size or pace to play key position defence.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Jones is a rubbish field kick, but (recently) a good set-shot kick for goal.
    He doesn't appear to read the ball well all that well either.

I think he remains a forward.

Would love to play Roughy as a long target up forward though, and trade in a ready-to-go full back. With someone of Rougheads size attracting a crowd, Crameri, Jones and Stringer would get to compete one-out more often.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefoid View Post
    Jones is a rubbish field kick, but (recently) a good set-shot kick for goal.
    He doesn't appear to read the ball well all that well either.

I think he remains a forward.

Would love to play Roughy as a long target up forward though, and trade in a ready-to-go full back. With someone of Rougheads size attracting a crowd, Crameri, Jones and Stringer would get to compete one-out more often.
    You might be right regarding Jones but at the very least playing him in Defence might make him a better forward......seems to have benefited Stringer.

I know what you're saying about Jones' capacity to read the ball but it's one thing going for the ball knowing you've got a gorilla behind you ready to spoil....compared to the luxury of allowing your opponent to lead you to the ball drop. I reckon it's worth a try.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    I would spend the pre-season trialling Jones in defence and Roberts up forward. We kind of know what to expect from Jones up forward and I'm not convinced Roberts has the size or pace to play key position defence.
    How viable is it to have a key defender that is one of your poorest endurance players? It would severely limit the options of who he can play on.

Jones finishes alongside Jarrad Grant at the back of nearly every running drill at the club. At 23 and after 5 preseasons, how much more is he likely to improve?
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    At 23 and after 5 preseasons, how much more is he likely to improve?
    Don't the big guys only start to show real improvement in their mid 20's?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Fitness issues aside (which are huge), Jones simply cannot read the play well enough to be considered for a position as a KPD.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    How viable is it to have a key defender that is one of your poorest endurance players? It would severely limit the options of who he can play on.

Jones finishes alongside Jarrad Grant at the back of nearly every running drill at the club. At 23 and after 5 preseasons, how much more is he likely to improve?
    Not sure whether you can answer this Grey but how does Rougy usually fair in the endurance running drills? Genuinely curious

Post Thanks / Like

Great post GVGjr, agree with your thoughts.

I would be targeting one of Durdin or Marchbank with our first selection as genuine key position players who are fairly athletic and versatile. Zaine Cordy appears he may be another option who fits the bill as more a medium sized defender.

Regarding the forward line, we still lack that genuine quality in the KPF stakes, but that is usually a hard one to fill. I've referenced Port a few times who have built a good forward line around a couple of players who were previously much maligned in Schultz and Westhoff. If we can generate enough clean ball with the right structures and have guys like Stringer, Crameri and Bonti, along with Dahl, Hrovat and Hunter we have enough to cause headaches.

For that reason I'm not adverse to looking for another midfield type who can run, spread and kick well. Subject to what bids are made on Zaine and whether Higgins leaves, we may be able to snare someone in the mid 20's who fits this description.

Going to be another crucial and very interesting draft for us.